Long Beach to Union Station...

goduckies05

Thanks right now we are booked at the Quality Inn at 3201 E Pacific Coast Hwy. We are also traveling with my service dog.

Any suggestions are welcome we usually fly but decided to take the train this time from Sacramento for a new adventure.

Looking for something that has a free breakfast and not to expensive since we are coming in on the 27th and will have to pay 2 nights.

What I was afraid of...

I don't think you really want to be stuck here...Not for two nights and without a car...NOT a good location, NOT a good neighborhood, NOT a good hotel...

I have my usual list of recommended Long Beach hotels: Westin, Hyatt, Renaissance, Hyatt at the Pike, Hilton, Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown...

Some may look a bit pricey--but there's good reason for my list--ESPECIALLY if you are there two nights without transportation...

1) This is the prime tourist area of Long Beach...There are plenty of restaurants of all prices and varieties in walking distance...Lots of fun shopping...and all of the Long Beach attractions (Aquariumn of the Pacific, Queen Mary, etc.) to keep you busy on that extra full day you'll be there.

2) The area is very safe...not all parts of Long Beach are...But, this area is the area where Long Beach puts on its best face for tourists...where police patrols are frequent, etc.

3) The area is served by the FREE "Passport" bus--which can take you everywhere you need to go in a small loop around this area--even over to the Queen Mary/Cruise Terminal

4) These hotels are NICE...You will feel like you are staying with some degree of luxury, you won't even mind hanging out at the hotel...

Staying even just a few blocks out of this area and, suddenly, you are in some seedy surroundings--Up on PCH, you will find yourself in tackier motels...with only fast food joints and questionable restaurants nearby--along with body shops, auto mechanics and cheap liquor stores...You may not wish to venture out at night...maybe not even in the daylight. Long Beach is a big city of over 500,000 population...there are some very good parts and some very bad parts--like all big cities...

My thought for travelers, especially those without a car, is that you really should consider location first...You want your hotel to be both safe and convenient. After those parameters are met, then consider price...

As to price, here are a couple of suggestions:

Try Priceline. Bid 3.5 stars (IIRC) and Downtown Long Beach. That should get you to one of my listed hotels...and many people have reported getting very good prices.

Or, the Maya Doubletree has often offered a "Carnival" price which is extremely reasonable...But they also can be a bit difficult--you may have to call the hotel directly and ask for it...or, at times, some have reported a "code" on this board that works for that discount.

Personally, I would pay quite a bit more--even for two nights--to be in one of these hotels rather thsan the one you picked.

Good luck...

Ps. Also factor in that you will need a long, expensive taxi ride from the Quality Inn to the port...and to anywhere else you may desire to go...

Edited by Bruin Steve

What I was afraid of...

I don't think you really want to be stuck here...Not for two nights and without a car...NOT a good location, NOT a good neighborhood, NOT a good hotel...

I have my usual list of recommended Long Beach hotels: Westin, Hyatt, Renaissance, Hyatt at the Pike, Hilton, Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown...

Some may look a bit pricey--but there's good reason for my list--ESPECIALLY if you are there two nights without transportation...

1) This is the prime tourist area of Long Beach...There are plenty of restaurants of all prices and varieties in walking distance...Lots of fun shopping...and all of the Long Beach attractions (Aquariumn of the Pacific, Queen Mary, etc.) to keep you busy on that extra full day you'll be there.

2) The area is very safe...not all parts of Long Beach are...But, this area is the area where Long Beach puts on its best face for tourists...where police patrols are frequent, etc.

3) The area is served by the FREE "Passport" bus--which can take you everywhere you need to go in a small loop around this area--even over to the Queen Mary/Cruise Terminal

4) These hotels are NICE...You will feel like you are staying with some degree of luxury, you won't even mind hanging out at the hotel...

Staying even just a few blocks out of this area and, suddenly, you are in some seedy surroundings--Up on PCH, you will find yourself in tackier motels...with only fast food joints and questionable restaurants nearby--along with body shops, auto mechanics and cheap liquor stores...You may not wish to venture out at night...maybe not even in the daylight. Long Beach is a big city of over 500,000 population...there are some very good parts and some very bad parts--like all big cities...

My thought for travelers, especially those without a car, is that you really should consider location first...You want your hotel to be both safe and convenient. After those parameters are met, then consider price...

As to price, here are a couple of suggestions:

Try Priceline. Bid 3.5 stars (IIRC) and Downtown Long Beach. That should get you to one of my listed hotels...and many people have reported getting very good prices.

Or, the Maya Doubletree has often offered a "Carnival" price which is extremely reasonable...But they also can be a bit difficult--you may have to call the hotel directly and ask for it...or, at times, some have reported a "code" on this board that works for that discount.

Personally, I would pay quite a bit more--even for two nights--to be in one of these hotels rather thsan the one you picked.

Good luck...

Ps. Also factor in that you will need a long, expensive taxi ride from the Quality Inn to the port...and to anywhere else you may desire to go...

I stayed at the Westin when I drove down In Feb. They had a cruise package. Give them a call. Nice place.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app