Any more Cirque Rumors

Rdabadie

Well, Celebrity said there would be more announcements in May as to what Cirque du Soleil would be contributing to the onboard entertainment. I'm waiting with great anticipation. I'm really hoping it's more than an act or two. I've been going to all the Cirque du Soleil and Celebrity sites I can find but nothing so far.

After suffering through typical cruise entertainment for 1o trips now I think I'd rather throw myself overboard than see another "hooray for Hollywood/Broadway/50's/60's/80's" show.

Begin Rant: icon_rolleyes.gif

The biggest joke is the "las style shows" all the cruise lines claim to have. Don't these people actual go to Vegas! I've actually been there and Cirque has 3 shows (forth on the way), the best and newest boardway shows are there (mama mia, chicago), Blue man Group and a bunch of new erotic stuff. The cruise ship style shows are still around in Vegas, in the worst show-lounges in the cheapest hotels.

Ok rant over!

Rob

Regal Empress 7/97, Nordic Empress 10/97, Sensation 11/98, Paradise 11/99, Ecstasy 11/00, Norway 5/01, Triumph 11/01, Explorer of the Seas 9/02, Paradise 5/03, Victory 4/04

My biggest question is how much of a mod they will have to do on the ships to accommodate the Cirque shows. Are then going to totally turn over the main theaters to Cirque for one or more performances or are they going to modify part of the ship for the custom theatre.

It will be interesting.

"First of all, forget everything you have heard about entertainment on Celebrity being mediocre or worse. On Millenium last year, the shows were so bad we didn't even attempt to go the first couple of nights, then we spoke to our "Cruise Director," really the head off entertainment for "X", Michael Thomas, who was taking over for CD Eric Bohus who hurt his knee. He assured us that "X" was starting to revamp its entertainment, including the new partnership with Cirque du Soleil. He said when Connie goes in drydock this fall, the Reflections nightclub will be transformed into a Cirque space in addition to being used as a disco.

We were the first to see a spectacular new production -- something like "Discover the World" -- which took our breath away. I wish the production had shown more of the non-white world (the lumping of all of Africa into a number full of primitives clad in animal skins was particularly "politically" painful, but visually entertaining.)There were classical piano concerts, along with the usual comedian-jugglers-- but the production numbers really shone. I had thought the production numbers we saw on Millenium last year were Six Flags quality or worse. There's been a sea-change (Pardon the pun)in "X's" thinking of entertainment."

The above is from another thread. Looks like its true.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;9;7;16;00;00&timezone=EST-0800

<marquee width = 45%> Century Nov/00---Norway June/01---Monarch Oct/01---Grandeur Nov/01---Mercury May/02---Horizon Feb/03---Century July/03---Zenith Nov/03---Zenith Apr/04---Constellation Sept/04</marquee>

Archived