Stay123 Problems, Anyone else? Baltimore Departure

Luv2travel80

After reviewing postings on CC (one reviewer mentioned fraudulent charges to his credit card), I decided to book a room through Stay123 because the rate was a good deal. I had problems from the very beginning. First, they never confirmed my reservation. I waited two days after placing my request through their website before contacting their customer service. When I finally did call, they said that they were waiting for the fax from the website to come through to the hotel and for the hotel to confirm the reservation. I was told to call back the next day. I called back the next day and was told that my reservation had not been accepted and that i needed to pick another hotel. I did pick another hotel at a higher rate. I had used a credit card that I never use and was somewhat surprised when I checked into the hotel that my card had been declined. It was late when I arrived at the hotel and I was tired from driving all day. I assumed (my mistake) that my card had been declined because of inactivity and did not check my account that night. The next morning we left early for the port and had no problems with the hotel shuttle or parking. However on my drive home from my week long cruise, I was contacted by my credit card company for fraudulent charges. I had several charges made on my account from England and had been charged over $39 for my stay123 fee instead of the $22. My account had been frozen because of those charges. I Know others have had no problems with Stay123 but I will not be using them again. I find it to be too much of a coincidence that a card i have not used in a very long time has fraudulent charges within a week of providing it to Stay123. I recommend that Stay123 review their web/internet security surrounding their customer's information.

Despite the initial mishaps, I did enjoy my very first cruise and can't wait to go cruising again!

My credit card was also compromised after booking a hotel through Stay123. I did call the hotel and everything is in order. I also had attempted charges from England.

Whats the next step.

Credit card company is sending a new card

Alan

My credit card was also compromised after booking a hotel through Stay123. I did call the hotel and everything is in order. I also had attempted charges from England.

Whats the next step.

Credit card company is sending a new card

Alan

Count me in this group! Debit card was compromised - with attempted charges in Great Britain for Papa John Pizza (who knew they had PJ in GBR!) and rugby kits. They did make it through for a couple of small - less then $2.00 charges for an online grocer - so I guess they thought the larger charges would as well. Thank goodness my bank recognized the fraudulent charges.

I made a complaint with the BBB of New York. Stay123 posts their logo so imagine my surprise when I read that they were NOT an approved business! In fact, they have had at least 15 complaints. I know from CC along there are far more breaches of credit/debit card security.

My vote - Book directly with the hotel! Never had any problems. Check out which hotels offer it & then go to their website to actually book the room. Then I usually also get a confirmation from them the day before I cruise so I know that the reservation is valid.

Last Winter I too booked a hotel with STAY 123. The company's response to my queries just gave me an uncomfortable feeling. So two days later I cancelled the booking. After reading these comments I understand that I too may have been a victim of STAY 123.

Shortly after booking the hotel, my credit card was also compromised and yes, there was a charge in Great Britain. So it sounds like STAY 123 is either a fraudulent company, or has very poor internet security. Run, don't walk, in the other direction, anytime someone suggests booking with STAY 123.

Edited by Grimsby

• 1 month later...

I have used Stay123 several times without a hitch, and so when our credit card got hit I assumed it was probably some restaurant abroad where we had handed over the card. When my husband saw these posts, however, I called them immediately and asked if this was true. They said yes, they had a recent problem with the site, but had just put in a feature that discards the card numbers altogether once the reservation has been made. Meanwhile, not wanting to pass up those prices, but also not wanting to take any risks, I did some checking on my own and saw that they have a .net site that doesn't have a certificate problem or any reported breaches. I'm using that for now, and I'll keep you posted how it goes.

• 6 months later...

In my review from September of last year, where I described how my husband & I had also had a credit card problem before stay123 fixed their site security, I promised to keep you guys posted on how it turned out using their .net site, and so here it is:

We used the site again for our January cruise, with no card problems at all. Our first hotel choice was sold out, which sometimes happens (Jan is peak season), but they got us a comparable pkg for the same price, so no complaints there. Our son and his friend made their own arrangements on the regular .com site, and he said that was fine too. We have had good experiences with hotelnparking as well, their prices are also excellent.

• 2 months later...

WOW- now I'm finally finding out what happened with my debit card charges from England. Thanks you guys for helping me solve that mystery. At the time it happened it, I was totally blindsided and it cost me money.