Akrotiri

kbubbles

We went to Akrotiri in mid-May. We rented a car from Tony's, a short walk from the cable car terminus. We previously had rented from him and think he provides a very good car and service. We had a brand-new automatic transmission Nissan Micra for 40 Euros. He gave us a good map, and we immediately left town and first worked our way south to climb the mountain up to Ancient Thera at the end of Kamari Beach. Wow, so many hair-pin turns and quite a challenge if you met a car coming the other way, particularly near the top. Phenomenal views.

We then drove over to Ancient Akrotiri, parking about 50 yards down the road to the beach rather than paying for parking directly across the street. There are guides right there who will provide private guided tour for 10 Euros per person if you have at least six? people, and after a short wait, we had more than enough for the tour, which I highly recommend. Our guide Eugenie was superb - we toured for 1/-1/4 hours.

This site was fabulous, much bigger than I thought it would be and with more remains than I expected. It is all under cover and climate-controlled now. If you like ruins like we do (we just had been to Ancient Ephesus the Terrace Houses our previous day), you will love this place. The age and sophistication of these ruins is amazing.

Hope this helps!

Edited by CintiPam

last sept we caught the local bus 1.80 euros each,it was packed with more standing than seated.there is a conductor on board who collects the fares but have change,After our vist we wandered down the road and had lunch by the water side and caught the bus back which left from car park,the restaurant was just along the path under the cliff,the bus going back was busy, but seeing as we caught at the start we got seats we were docked from 07.00 to 20.00 so time wasnt a problem,it was well worth the visit

Such great information, thank you! Yes, my husband and I love ruins and the history behind them. This is our second visit to Santorini, however, the site had not reopened last time. We have made it a priority for this trip.

We went last October. We just walked out to the road and put our hand up and a taxi drove up and stopped. We negotiated to take us there, wait and bring us back. No hassle and easy !!! We too were impressed with this site. It was a lot bigger than we thought it would be.

We returned to Fira and had the taxi driver drop us off right near the archeological museum…… many items from Akrotiri are there and we really enjoyed it !!!!! especially since we had just been there.

Then a wonderful late (sort of at around 1:30-2:00) lunch overlooking the caldera……. then some shopping and wandering and then back to the ship.

We had been to Oia our first visit to Santorini so didn't spend the whole day onshore.

We are returning next spring and plan to see some more of the island via rental car.