West Bay Water Taxi Details

scotlady

119 hours till we're on the ship :D

Just curious about the water taxi from West Bay to West End. How often does it run, how long is the trip between the two, and where does it leave from on West Bay Beach?

Thank you!

...not really a scheduled thing. You will walk out on the dock, a boat will pull up. Ask how much to go to West End, if you agree to the price...off you go! We've usually caught them at the dock at Infinity Bay Resort, but they will pick you up at Fosters, too, I believe.

The trip is 10 minutes, maybe. Never really paid much attention, usuallly taking in the sights along the way! THey run sun-up to sun-down.

These are just locals in their own boats making money! A great service, especially when staying on the island.

Edited by TxLnghrnz

$4pp each way, you'll find one at the dock between Bananarama and Infinity, if not there just keep an eye out. Great way to see both bays along with a 10 - 15 min tour of the pretty coast.

Edited by blue_water

They do not run sun up to sun down. I am sure they do not start until 9am from West End, I have sure waited enough times... this would mean later from West Bay. I have seen them out close to sundown.. but not often.

From West End they run when there are three or more people, the rate in March of last year was $3us or $50 local.. I understand if one is in a hurry negotiation for less people, less waiting is possible.. the fee will be higher

They will pick you up anywhere along the route.. generally they are hungry and scanning both the beach and the piers to catch another fare.

I have waited long enough in West Bay I started walking to West End.. sometime I never do see one.. some times there are four running. It all depends on demand.

Understand, anything can be done by arrangement... if you offer money, the guy will show up to collect it. :0)

Edited by Guest 2000

Okay, thanks!

We have a group of 17 spending the day at Infinity Bay, so hopefully there will be enough of us to interest them in a trip to West End. :)

if your group wishes to go at the same time you are better off starting in West End.. oh wait.. you could have a chat with one of the guys.. choose a time and he could sort out enough boat space.

ahh perhaps not all 17 are going to West Bay.

Ya know.. there is a very nice local by the name of Daniel who works for Foster's he has a boat.. he may be able to sort you out. He also takes out snorkel trips.

Did you book with Infinity already? I was under the impression they were 1st come 1st served.. this is good news.

We've taken the water 'taxis' to WEst End from Infinity Bay at dawn to get to a fishign charter (3 of the 7 dayds we were there). So, it may just depend on the day and your luck!

The trip is great, though, except the one we took when we stayed a bit long in West End. Probably caught the last one of the night, dusk for sure and it was scary remembering how close the reef can be to the surface!

We paid $10 every tie for our family of 4. Well worth it, and the boys loved it.

Edited by Oz9591

We've taken the water 'taxis' to WEst End from Infinity Bay at dawn to get to a fishign charter (3 of the 7 dayds we were there). So, it may just depend on the day and your luck!

The trip is great, though, except the one we took when we stayed a bit long in West End. Probably caught the last one of the night, dusk for sure and it was scary remembering how close the reef can be to the surface!

We paid $10 every tie for our family of 4. Well worth it, and the boys loved it.

Wow, I have never seen a water taxi out that early. This is great news.. was in a proper water taxi or was it Infinity's green one? They have there very one private.. I wonder if someone sorted it for you cause that truly is not usual. For that matter usually the charters come to you.. wonder if the charter set it up and just never told you. Or maybe things have indeed changed.

Wow, I have never seen a water taxi out that early. This is great news.. was in a proper water taxi or was it Infinity's green one? They have there very one private.. I wonder if someone sorted it for you cause that truly is not usual. For that matter usually the charters come to you.. wonder if the charter set it up and just never told you. Or maybe things have indeed changed.

THat's probably what it was since the guys that ran the fishing boat told us to be out there at a certain time to look for the water taxi! The sme guy alwasys picked us up in the a.m., so I'm sure they arranged for it -- but easy to see those blue & yellow boats coming towards you.

We never took the IB boat, but thought about having them take us a few times... Seemed there was always a water taxi availble when we "needed" to go to West End!

Last visit stayed at Keyhole Bay--our new favorite! Good Stuff!

• 4 weeks later...

Its kinda funny to me…. don't mean to be rude but its real easy to google a map of Roatan West Bay and see where stuff is ……..

We always stay at Infinity Bay (beachfront condo) and I have seen water taxis run VERY early and even in the dark. Saw a couple of them coming back from West End when we were there for July 4th week….. it was probably 9 or 10 pm or so. Certainly not really something I want to do in the dark :eek:

If they think they have a fare - they go.

We always stay at Infinity Bay (beachfront condo) and I have seen water taxis run VERY early and even in the dark. Saw a couple of them coming back from West End when we were there for July 4th week….. it was probably 9 or 10 pm or so. Certainly not really something I want to do in the dark :eek:

If they think they have a fare - they go.

My guess is those were my special arrangement.. I don't think the water taxi guys hang about waiting for a fare to show up past sundown. I have waited in West End more than once for them to decide it is the correct time to leave in the morning.

If one has a special need sort it out ahead of time...and ask the rate, things shift greatly after dark.

I have been on a boat twice from West Bay to West End, it was not a water taxi. The thing I remember was the zillions upon zillions of stars.