Questions about tours in Saint Petersburg

Jill_b

Hi. We, 3 of us, my brother and his wife, are sailing on "Star" Princess for a Baltic cruise and leaving very soon and wondering if anyone else has been on the "value excursions" by DenRus? I realize it is a new program but we were wondering if it is a good deal.

We originally signed up for the ship shore excursions but read a post here about this company and found the same tour for $312 less for the 3 of us. I signed up just yesterday for our Aug 28 arrival and already got our tour tickets by email.

But now I am getting little nervous because my brother is mad that I did not know anything about the company other than mentions on this forum. Is $225 really a good price for a 2 day tour of Saint Petersburg? It it supposed to be a small group. Is the tour any good? Did I do something dumb? I'll never hear the end of it if I screwed up. I just saw the price and wanted to save money plus I don't like crowded buses.

Michael, my brother, said we probably would not be able to get off the ship without ok from the ship but I've read here that many people use other companies without a problem. Our travel agent said we needed visas to get off the ship in Russia but I also read it here that you don't need one and it was also on the DenRus web site.

Jill...nervous newbie for this forum and for cruising

Jill - We're signed up for the same tour. Based on the correspondence I have had from DenRus, I am very confident it will be excellent. If you e-mail them with your specific questions, you will proabably get an answer the next day. I received two letters along with copies of our tickets that explained what do when disembarking in St. Petersburg. The letters also explained that DenRus will get group visa's for everyone signed up on their tours. If it doesn't work, we'll have a "melt down" together on the pier. Come join us on the "Roll Call" forum for this cruise. I think the title is "Baltic Cruise 28 August 2005". Sharon

Denrus will give you the paperwork that will allow you to get off the ship and clear Russian Immigration. Strictly, speaking it is not a visa.

As far as cost is concerned, we paid $250 per person for 2 days with Red October in a group of 12 in May. Being our own group we were able to customize the itinerary. Looks like Denrus has a package where they collect people to form a group for a fixed itinerary (similar to what Princess and Celebrity offer) which actually looks pretty good. Both Denrus and red October are good.

Have fun. St Petersburg and a great place to visit.

Jill, I believe you have made the right decision. 1. Denrus is a large,reputable company with offices in St.Petersburg. 2. They use professional guides, usually former college professors. 3. They provide the visas and when the ship is first cleared you walk right off-no problem.4. With your party of 3 as opposed to 30 or 40 people, you will be able to see more, get more individual attention, hear the guide better and costing alot less.

You will have a great tour and have nothing to worry about.

Hi Jill,

We are on the same "Roll Call" Board as Sharon and have also decided to take the same "value excursion". I also have every confidence that it will be excellent. I am very pleased with the e-mails I have sent to Denrus with my numerous questions that they responded to very quickly. I think we have made the right decision and will have a great time. Who knows, maybe all of us will be on the same van!

Please come visit our "Roll Call" Board and chat with us.

Jean

We just returned from the Star Princess (7/24 to 8/3) and used DenRus for 2 days in St. Petersburg. We had a group of 7 and a tailored itinerary. I am not familiar with the "value excursion", but I can tell you that we had a great time. We had no problems getting off the ship. The first morning we just walked to mid-ship, level 4, and were the second people in line. We got off at 6:30am, went through immigration (there is a separate line for those on independent tours), went out immigration, turned left and saw someone with a DenRus sign. The 2 day tour was terrific--Nadya, our guide was outstanding. I think you made the right choice. If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me at FSusman@aol.com.

Another, yes...you made the right decision. We customized our tour a little and just had the 5 people traveling in our group and we had a wonderful time. Our guide was Nadya as well. She was awesome. Don't spend another moment of concern, you'll love St Petersburg and Denrus is a great choice.

Thank you all for making me feel more confident in telling my brother he is full of it;>) You know how big brothers are. I got quotes from another company and knew this was a low price but I was not sure if it was too good to be true.

I did not care about a customized tour because this one seems to have everything I could think of and a lot more that I wouldn't have thought of.

Thank you very much. This a very friendly and helpful group.

Jill

P.S. I will go to the Roll-call section as you suggested. Thanks again

The value excursion page has several options from private car & driver to a large bus tour. All are cheaper than the cruise line for comparable itinerary. This is not surprising. The cruise lines often contract out and tack on about 30% on top of what the local contractor charges. We noticed similar cost differences in Alaska too.

http://www.denrus.ru/princess.html

I too am interested in using Denrus for a party of four in the summer of 2006. I've heard a lot about Denrus through the forums, but how do you go about determining if they are reputable. You can't call the Better Business Bureau. Is there a US government agency that has information? My friends want proof. Any ideas??

Welcome to CruiseCritic. I think the proof is on these boards. There are so many positive recommendations. I used Red October in 2003 and am using Denrus this year in early September, so I'll be glad to report back when I return if that will help you. Tell your friends that this is my 2nd trip to the Baltics and that sometimes you have to take a small risk to get a great reward!

:) Donna

We just got back from a Baltics cruise aboard the Crystal Symphony with 3 days in St. Petersburg. We booked with DenRus for all three days just for our family of four. While a lot will depend on the specific guide you get, I can tell you that we were very happy to be in a small group as compared to the large groups from the ships that we saw. A few feet from the gangway our driver and guide were waiting for us with a clean and very comfortable Mercedes mini bus. We had an excellent driver, and a very knowledgeable guide who was very good at getting us in and out of places and navigating the palaces and museums with great ease. It was wonderful to go at our pace, be able to hear our guide, ask the questions we wanted, etc. That would have been nearly impossible in the large groups we encountered from the various cruise lines.

I too am interested in using Denrus for a party of four in the summer of 2006. I've heard a lot about Denrus through the forums, but how do you go about determining if they are reputable. You can't call the Better Business Bureau. Is there a US government agency that has information? My friends want proof. Any ideas??

There are certaintly no guarantees in life except death and taxes. But Denrus has for many years been on the dock waiting for thousands of passengers many of which have posted on these boards. They have offices in St.Petersberg, large touring contracts with many ships, and is not a Russian owned company.

With no deposit required, if they go out of business or do not show up, you are out no money and would have to revert to Plan B. I doubt that the BBB would have reports on Denrus, but you certainly could call, if it made you feel any better. Keep in mine even the ship doesnt know if the vans and the guides they have hired will be waiting for you 100%.

I'm sure the more responses seen to this thread will make the OP feel better, so here is my endorsement. I was on the Jul 2 Rotterdam 12-day Baltic cruise, with 2 days in St Petersburg. I joined with three other couples for a two day DenRus tour. The guide and driver were waiting each morning at the pier at the prearranged time with a new, clean Mercedes van. The original tour schedule was slightly ammended, by request on that day, to include a visit to the synagogue. We never had to wait in lines as Ludmila seemed to know exactly when to be in a certain place, or speak to a certain person. She was able to pace our tours thru Peterhof, Catherine's Palace, and even the Hermitage so we were not caught up in crowds.

I received my DenRus tickets by email. No problem in leaving the ship or clearing Russian passport control.

Best tour dollars I've ever spent!

I think you will be happy with your Denrus tour. I don't know what is included in your "value tour." I wish we had planned our own tour with Denrus. Even if it was more money, getting to see what you want and the personal attention would be great.

We went with DenRus in May. I don't think there was a value excursion then, and it sounds like you got a good deal. They really are a good company -- our guide was Eugenia, and she was an absolute delight. I was very pleased. We did a custom itinerary, and the neatest, most unusual thing we did was to ride the subway. Chandaliers in the subway? Marble? Yep, in Russia that is what you will see!

No need for a separate visa -- it's covered by your DenRus excursion ticket. Have a wonderful trip -- a Baltic cruise is the best cruise I've done so far.

We went with DenRus in May. I don't think there was a value excursion then, and it sounds like you got a good deal. They really are a good company -- our guide was Eugenia, and she was an absolute delight. I was very pleased. We did a custom itinerary, and the neatest, most unusual thing we did was to ride the subway. Chandaliers in the subway? Marble? Yep, in Russia that is what you will see!

QUOTE]

Do you happen to remember which subway line you were on with the chandaliers? We will be on the subways next month and that sounds beautiful.

Do you happen to remember which subway line you were on with the chandaliers? We will be on the subways next month and that sounds beautiful.

All the stops in St. Petersburg are decorated in such manners. We took them as well. Our RO guide took us to one stop, where we got off and looked around. We got back on the next subway and continued to the next stop and got off. We looked around there too and then met our van driver. All 3 stations were incredible!!

Too bad we can't take pictures, because it would've been quite a memory in my photo album!

You have definitely made the right choice. I toured with DenRus back in July. Nadya was our tour guide and she was fabulous. DenRus gives you paperwork which allows you to go through immigration without a Visa. You are covered on a "blanket visa" that DenRus holds. Do NOT listen to anything anyone says on the ship about the procedures in St. Petersburg. When you see others getting off, just follow them. You do NOT have to have a sticker (most ships tours give you a sticker to wear) in order to get off. Just have your passport, a copy of your passport and the paperwork DenRus gives you. We got off the ship at 6:45am without any problem what so ever. Go and enjoy. If you have specific questions about DenRus, you may e-mail me. pungo3@hotmail.com Their tour was the highlight of my entire cruise.

But now I am getting little nervous because my brother is mad that I did not know anything about the company other than mentions on this forum.

Jill...If you're signed up with either RO or Denrus you won't be disappointed. My mom put me through the same ordeal when she had never heard of RO and was convinced I wouldn't be able to get off the boat unless I had a personal visa or signed up with my cruise company for an excursion. We got off the boat without any problems and the tour was beyond my expectations. You'll do fine with either of these companies...enjoy yourself and don't let your brother ruin your trip planning adventures!

Archived