Going back to Alaska, help me plan!

emeraldead

OK so I went on my first cruise last May with my mom and yes, I went and scheduled another cruise with my partner next May. Some of the same spots, some new ones. I know more of specifically what I want this time, so please offer links and reviews of what you consider some great options. Pricing and activity level low to average preferred.

We hail from Philadelphia, 7 Day Seattle Round Trip Holland Westerdam

I want lots of glacier visiting, whale watching, and specifically an excursion to both fish AND eat salmon caught. I like good food and wine, but not huge priority (It's a cruise!)

Seattle

Juneau 1-10pm

Sitka 7am-3pm

Ketchikan 7 am-1pm

Victoria 6 pm-Midnight

Seattle

You're only visiting 4 ports and have several months before the cruise, so plenty of time to do a little research.

Borrow some Alaska travel books from your library to learn about the sights, activities and excursions available in each port.

Each town has a web site to support tourism and local vendors.

Look thru trip reports ... there are many detailed reports with info on ship excursions or private. They are a wonderful resource. Lots of great photos as well. Reports are in the STICKYs above (for 2013 reports start with reoly #45 where they are sorted by cruiseship).

Your cruiseline will have a list of excursions available. If you want to replicate an excursion by using an independent vendor, post here for suggestions.

Do your research and learn about all the options available so that you can make the best decisions for your interests and priorities.

Juneau is your best port for whale watching. We saw numerous whales bubble net feeding. Since we were on a shore excursion sponsored by the ship, the boat was really crowded and it was hard to see so I strongly suggest going with an independent tour operator. Go to Trip Advisor or do a search on these boards for the best companies.

Since you want glacier viewing, combine that tour with a visit to Mendenhall Glacier.

There is no glacier day listed on your itinerary...does your ship go to either Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay? I'd be surprised if HAL doesn't include one of these places.

In Victoria - you either want to do an excursion through the ship out to Butchart Gardens - timing isn't on your side to do on your own.

Whale Watching - I recommend Eagle Wing Tours - they are based at Fisherman's Wharf - a quick 10 - 15 minute walk max from the cruise ship dock.

Have a wonderful cruise.