Jazz brunch NOLA

snowmouse

• 1 month later...

I've never been to House of Blues but have had brunch at the other two. Commander's is the quintessential New Orleans fine dining experience, IMO. They actually have some reasonable brunch/lunch specials... so they shouldn't be automatically excluded because they may be too expensive - because it really IS an Experience. Quintessential New Orleans in an establishment that dates to 1880. We've been there twice, once for dinner and once for brunch, and both times were fantastic. As wonderful as the food and service were, I also had a great time people watching and just soaking up the history and ambiance.

CP is in the Garden District, so if you're staying in the French Quarter it's a bit out of the way, but easily doable with the streetcar... and the trip there is a great way to see the mansions of St. Charles Avenue - and the streetcar itself is a great experience. A stroll through the Garden District is also not to be missed, IMO. One of the old cemeteries is directly across the street from CP if you're interested in visiting one.

However.... I also enjoyed brunch at COTS. The courtyard is b-eau-ti-ful - GORGEOUS - and it was a fun experience. IIRC it's more of a help-yourself buffet - and Commander's most definitely is not. Food quality is obviously going to be somewhat lesser in a buffet environment. But IMO they're two totally different experiences - like comparing apples and oranges.

Another option is Mr. B's on Royal. Awesome BBQ shrimp.

I would check out the menu for Commander's and make sure it is something that your kids would eat, as it is more fine dining and may not feed a picky palate. You will also need to be considerably more dressed up for CP, so that alone may be a deal killer for some. COTS is a lot more casual and there is plenty to do in the surrounding area. Ladies can get away with sundresses and sandals, kids can even wear nice khaki shorts and a polo shirt (smart casual)

Per the CP website:

Dress Code:

Business Attire

Jackets are preferred for gentlemen

Collared shirts and closed-toe shoes required for gentlemen

No shorts, flip-flops, t-shirts, sweat shirts or sweat pants

Jeans are discouraged

• 1 month later...
We are looking for a Sunday Jazz Brunch post cruise. I am looking at House of Blues, Commander's Palace, and Court of Two Sisters. Any recommendations or preferences. We are a family of 5, kids 18-24.

Wow, you couldn't have picked a more mixed group. I've not been to House of Blues for their Jazz Brunch, but haven't cared for the restaurant when I've been there.

As mentioned before Commander's Palace is expensive, but IMHO, well worth it. I go there every day if I could afford to. Eating there isn't just fine dining, it's an eating experience. The best of everything. Brunches are a bit less than dinner, so a good time to go. Will definitely need reservations.

Court of Two Sisters is a buffet. I don't like buffets, but I think it's a bit above the normal buffet. Great venue, good service (usually), good food. Reservations probably a good idea.

Now to muddy the waters for you I'll toss in a couple other ones. Palace Cafe on Canal Street have a great Jazz Brunch - and it's in an old music store. Little Gem Saloon is the only place that can actually trace it's history back to when Jazz was king.

All of the above have a jazz band playing, but where they play differs. At Court of Two Sisters they are stationary, playing in one place, so depending on where you sit you may not hear them much. Commander's and Palace have a Jazz trio that goes from table to table playing. Little Gem is a small enough place that the band is on stage and plays the whole time you're eating.

If I had to rank them I'd put Commander's first, Palace second and third would be a toss up.