Capt. Dag's Norway on Voyager 6/27/04

After reading great reviews on this board, i signed up for Capt. Dag's Norway cruise on 6/27/04. this will be my first european experience. i could really use a support group! Any other CCers joining me?

Happy Travels! ~ Splish

Splish - My partner and I were on Voyager last August for the final Baltic cruise of the season (Stockholm to Rouen)and found the whole experience marvelous. We signed up for the 6/27 Norwegian fjords cruise while on board. We are eagerly looking forward to flying to Copenhagen on June 23 and spending a couple of days there before boarding on the 27th. It is a charming city, ideal for walking. It's also fun to take a canal tour to get a better sense of the great degree to which the city is oriented to the water. It is a very easy city to visit from a language viewpoint, since English is spoken so widely. And then, onto Voyager for two weeks of scenery, relaxation, good food and good company. We'll be in cabin 877, on the stern. We chose that cabin for the large balcony, which should be useful on a cruise as scenery-intensive on this one. Keep in touch. Fred

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Fred! Wish i had arranged a few extra days in Copenhagen, your plan sounds nice. very glad to hear english is widely spoken. I arrive on the 26th, so at least i may get to look around a little.

i spent a lot of time trying to find how to email you privately before i figured out CC no longer allows that.... bummer!

i will be in cabom 712 on the Voyager. guessing there won't be too many solo travelers on this cruise, so i could be easy to spot.

Look forward to meeting ya'll! ~ Splish

Anyone else joining us on this cruise?

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]Planning on doing the August 27th Voyager, Stockholm to Rouen cruise; since you've done it before any dos or donts, especially on whether you made the trek to Berlin or not.

Hi Doc:

I'm Freddie's partner. Our Baltic cruise on Voyager was fabulous. If you assume this will be your one and only visit to St.P, DO spring for the extra bucks and book a private car either through the ship or with Red October. You'll see more that way IF YOU INSIST than you schleping on and off busses.

In St.P, don't waste time doing group lunches. You get Holiday Inn-style banquet food and it takes two hours. Not bad, but you will be eating up time better spent seeing St.P.

Don't even think about getting a passport. You won't need one. (We did have passports. But we were there three days. And Fred speaks Russian. So our last day on our own "in town" was very special.)

With respect to Berlin, we didn't do the trip. It is a very LONG day. We took in the port and took the train to Rostock for the afternoon. Rostock is worth a few hours. But that's it. We didn't regret our decision. BUT everyone we talked to who went to Berlin had a great time. So I guess it's a matter of personal preference. We were glad to have avoided about five hours on a train albeit at the expense of seeing Berlin.

Patrick

Splish - Sorry that the profile no longer shows personal email addresses. Feel free to email us at [email]steffanf@camano.net[/email]. We look forward to meeting you.

DocDesdin - In Pat's message to you, he meant to say you don't need to get a personal Russian visa to visit St. P. if you go with the ship's private guides or with Red October. Of course, you will still need your passport.

• 2 weeks later...
Enjoy the cruise, guys! Give the beautiful Voyager a big kiss for us! Doug and I had the best cruise experience of our lives (so far) last October, from Venice to Athens. Very gay-friendly and the highest quality service.

Here's my Copenhagen and Stockholm reports:

[url="http://www.westhollywood.com/travel/copenhagen/copenhagen.shtm"]http://www.westhollywood.com/travel/copenhagen/copenhagen.shtm[/url]

[url="http://www.westhollywood.com/travel/stockholm/stockholm.shtm"]http://www.westhollywood.com/travel/stockholm/stockholm.shtm[/url]

Let us know how it goes!

Stan wu
[email]stanwu@ureach.com[/email]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Island Cruiser:
Hi Doc:

I'm Freddie's partner. Our Baltic cruise on Voyager was fabulous. If you assume this will be your one and only visit to St.P, DO spring for the extra bucks and book a private car either through the ship or with Red October. You'll see more that way IF YOU INSIST than you schleping on and off busses.

In St.P, don't waste time doing group lunches. You get Holiday Inn-style banquet food and it takes two hours. Not bad, but you will be eating up time better spent seeing St.P.

Don't even think about getting a passport. You won't need one. (We did have passports. But we were there three days. And Fred speaks Russian. So our last day on our own "in town" was very special.)

With respect to Berlin, we didn't do the trip. It is a very LONG day. We took in the port and took the train to Rostock for the afternoon. Rostock is worth a few hours. But that's it. We didn't regret our decision. BUT everyone we talked to who went to Berlin had a great time. So I guess it's a matter of personal preference. We were glad to have avoided about five hours on a train albeit at the expense of seeing Berlin.

Patrick<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived