Shore Excursion Booking Questions

HokiePoq

Is it typical for shore excursions to sell out? On our other Celebrity cruise we booked all ahead of time and had no problems. Our tablemates didn't book ahead and were unable to go on any as all were sold out. Is this just an anomaly that occurred on this one Australian/NZ cruise or does it happen frequently? I am checking often for our booked cruises to see what is available but not finding a great number listed as of now. How far ahead of time should I expect all the excursions to be listed or will some be available onboard that are not advertised online before the cruise?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by HokiePoq

Excursions do sell out because many, if not all, are limited to the amount of participants. Can you imagine being a part of a wine tasting tour with 300 of your fellow pax?

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure that would explain many tours being sold out. On that Australia cruise I mentioned, even the multiple bus tours sold out.

Over the years I have watched our Roll Call group as a guage. If we have a big percent of members that post they are sailing the route for the first time, then the tours sell out. If there are only a few, it means many have been there before and will go off on their own.

On our next cruise, there are 4 countrys we have never been to in 25 years of cruises. Of the close to 100 on the r/call it is the same for over 75%! If this stays true for the rest of the 2500+ passengers, well, ya get my drift! Tours will sell out.

Over the years I have watched our Roll Call group as a guage. If we have a big percent of members that post they are sailing the route for the first time, then the tours sell out. If there are only a few, it means many have been there before and will go off on their own.

On our next cruise, there are 4 countrys we have never been to in 25 years of cruises. Of the close to 100 on the r/call it is the same for over 75%! If this stays true for the rest of the 2500+ passengers, well, ya get my drift! Tours will sell out.

I hadn't thought of that but it does apply when we've been to a port before. I'm thinking on our two upcoming cruises that most people have not been on these itineraries before.

I hadn't thought of that but it does apply when we've been to a port before. I'm thinking on our two upcoming cruises that most people have not been on these itineraries before.

Also it will depend on how "out of the way" the route is. The tours are owned and operated by locals, not the cruise line. They are mearly a 3rd party booking agent. When new destinations are added, or there are "limited" reasources (sp) you will find less tours.

Most time the contracts are not set between the owner/operator and the line till 4-6 months out.

( My wife works for Hyatt, and one of her Mangers quit to be a tour boat Capt in St THomas, and he filled in the blanks when we asked him the same question)

Edited by wallie5446

Also it will depend on how "out of the way" the route is. The tours are owned and operated by locals, not the cruise line. They are mearly a 3rd party booking agent. When new destinations are added, or there are "limited" reasources (sp) you will find less tours.

Most time the contracts are not set between the owner/operator and the line till 4-6 months out.

( My wife works for Hyatt, and one of her Mangers quit to be a tour boat Capt in St THomas, and he filled in the blanks when we asked him the same question)

I think you are right. I will go ahead and book as soon as excursions become available on our upcoming cruise in April. Already booked a mix of CC and Celebrity excursions for January Infinity South America.

Does anyone know if new excursions are added onboard? I have found that the case on another line we cruise and switch if I like them better.

Excursions do sell out because many, if not all, are limited to the amount of participants. Can you imagine being a part of a wine tasting tour with 300 of your fellow pax?

Been there, done that. There was a coupon in the cruise book on a recent RCCL cruise. The tasting was held in the MDR. There were at least 300 there.