Brisbane transportation

Hi Mary,

Brisbane operates the City Cats as a very efficient public transport system on the river. It is not free , but being a regular and frequent service it does not cost very much.

As for transport from the wharf..... your ship will provide a shuttle to take you into the CBD and the main shopping Mall in Brisbane.

What ship will you be on when you call into Brisbane , as there are 2 cruise terminals?

One is at Portside , Hamilton , which is under the bridge and from which you can easily catch the City Cat ferry into the City . The other is at the entrance to the Brisbane river at Fishermans Island at the Multi Purpose Grain Terminal and is for the larger ships that cannot navigate upstream . From FI there is only the shuttle or private taxis.

What ship are you on?

There is a city glider that zips about the city, but not really what I would recommend.

here is a link to translink, that runs the public transport in Brissy. This includes, buses, trains and the ferrys (river cats etc)

http://translink.com.au/

I live in brissy, happy to help with any suggestions.

Cheers Kate

What ship are you on?

There is a city glider that zips about the city, but not really what I would recommend.

here is a link to translink, that runs the public transport in Brissy. This includes, buses, trains and the ferrys (river cats etc)

Cheers Kate

Free bus link as referred to above:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transport/buses/city-centre-free-loops

Free ferry info:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transport/citycat-ferry-services/cityhopper

Hope this helps :)

What ship are you on?

Cheers Kate

Hello Kate.... We will be aboard Queen Victoria and will be in Brisbane (am I to assume Brissy?) for only 1 day. :( The only thing I really want to do is the very touristy.... pet a Kuala. The ship has a tour, but all it does is ride around the city and then to the zoo. We feel there must be much more.....are there tours that are sold at the port by different companies....or cabs. Do you know approximately the cost for each? Are they at the port? Or do we need transportation to get to them?

Thank you so much!

Hello Kate.... We will be aboard Queen Victoria and will be in Brisbane (am I to assume Brissy?) for only 1 day. :( The only thing I really want to do is the very touristy.... pet a Kuala. The ship has a tour, but all it does is ride around the city and then to the zoo. We feel there must be much more.....are there tours that are sold at the port by different companies....or cabs. Do you know approximately the cost for each? Are they at the port? Or do we need transportation to get to them?

Thank you so much!

Brisbane has two ports. QV2 will dock at Fisherman's Island which is a bulk grain terminal at the mouth of the river. It is about a 45 minute ride into the CBD either on a shuttle bus or in a taxi.

To pet a Koala (note spelling :) ) you should go to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. Check out their website: http://www.koala.net

You should be able to get a taxi from the port straight to Loan Pine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

the yellow ferrycat is the free one, i read in the brochure in my hotel the other week in brisbane, we didnt end up going on one though, just runs up and down the river

Pretty sure it's the city hopper which is red.

Just saying

Thank you so much!

hey there.

Koala ;) Nothing wrong with that. I have never been but the Lone Pine Sanctuary is recommended regularly here. Whilst Australia Zoo is fabulous, the issues with traffic congestion are horrendous, and concerning. If there is an accident on the highway to / from, then it shuts down and becomes a car park. Unfortunately this happens regularly, and not worth risking missing your departure. I will post some links to Lone Pine.

I am assuming that Queen Vic will be out at the grain terminal, which is the middle of no-where! Standby and I will dig out some info.

Brissy is pretty laid back, but traffic can be a pain :rolleyes:, we are all pretty much country drivers (mentality wise) in a city, so not savvy with congestion!! Any chance of providing a date and times in port? I will provide what I can for you :).

I am sure others will jump in too with info!

Edited by Cruise_me_Crazy

Looking at this, it seems like a nice way to get there, but will cut down on your time at the sanctuary significantly:

http://www.mirimar.com/site/daily-cruises/

according to the lone pine website a taxi from the city should be $20-$40 dollars one way. Perhaps share with another couple on your role call?

I am uncertain if there are shuttles from grain silos / fisherman's wharf where Queen Vic will tie up for her Brissy ;) visit!

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255068-i461-k6087510-How_to_get_to_Fishermans_Island_cruise_Terminal-Brisbane_Queensland.html

this may have some good info for you re transport options.

Sorry Sparky, just noted you already posted the link ;).

Kirst123, I agree, the red ferry is the freeby according to the link! :)

Thank you so much!

I live in Brisbane (Brissie or sometimes called BrizVegas) and was on Celebrity Solstice when we visited in Feb 2013. On the roll call I originally sought to arrange a small group to show them around my home town, including a trip to Lone Pine Koala sanctuary.... but I ended up with a mob of 30+, mainly from USA. The flavour of the tour was to show folk how Brissie people lived, worked and played and I ended up hiring a Bne Council bus to take us around. I mention this here because I did a lot of research into Lone Pine, and I would recommend it as a place to visit.

You can get there 4 ways: by car, by the Mirimar ferry, by cab or by bus from the CBD. For independents on a cruise ship docked at Fisherman's Island (which you will be) I would suggest getting either one of the ships shuttles or a cab to the CBD and then taking the bus. When we were on Solstice there were no other operators at the pier. There are also very limited facilities.... a bit of a blight on Brisbane I am afraid.

At Lone Pine I would further suggest you get your photos taken with a koala first (you can take your own pics only if you also have the pro pics taken). This then gives you time to stroll around the rest of the park, then come back, collect your pics and have some lunch in the very adequate cafe/canteen set up. Plan to spend about 2 hours there.

Here's an example of my less than Pro Pic taking :o

ry%3D400

The bus terminus is right outside the park gates (in the car park actually) so this is why I recommend using this service back to the CBD...also gives you a leisurely and scenic view of the place.

Hope this helps

cheers

Edited by Flipper133

I live in Brisbane (Brissie or sometimes called BrizVegas) and was on Celebrity Solstice when we visited in Feb 2013. On the roll call I originally sought to arrange a small group to show them around my home town, including a trip to Lone Pine Koala sanctuary.... but I ended up with a mob of 30+, mainly from USA. The flavour of the tour was to show folk how Brissie people lived, worked and played and I ended up hiring a Bne Council bus to take us around. I mention this here because I did a lot of research into Lone Pine, and I would recommend it as a place to visit.

You can get there 4 ways: by car, by the Mirimar ferry, by cab or by bus from the CBD. For independents on a cruise ship docked at Fisherman's Island (which you will be) I would suggest getting either one of the ships shuttles or a cab to the CBD and then taking the bus. When we were on Solstice there were no other operators at the pier. There are also very limited facilities.... a bit of a blight on Brisbane I am afraid.

At Lone Pine I would further suggest you get your photos taken with a koala first (you can take your own pics only if you also have the pro pics taken). This then gives you time to stroll around the rest of the park, then come back, collect your pics and have some lunch in the very adequate cafe/canteen set up. Plan to spend about 2 hours there.

Here's an example of my less than Pro Pic taking :o

ry%3D400

The bus terminus is right outside the park gates (in the car park actually) so this is why I recommend using this service back to the CBD...also gives you a leisurely and scenic view of the place.

Hope this helps

cheers

great advice :), and from someone who has done it!

Looking at this, it seems like a nice way to get there, but will cut down on your time at the sanctuary significantly:

http://www.mirimar.com/site/daily-cruises/

I did something like that many, many years ago. It was an excellent tour and I think there was plenty of time at Lone Pine to cuddle Koalas and feed the kangaroos. The river cruise was very interesting and a very enjoyable way to get to Lone Pine.

Pretty sure it's the city hopper which is red.

Just saying

and it's not a cat. The City Hoppers are a fleet of small monohull ferries and they only sail between inner city ferry stops. They don't go as far as Portside. Only the CityCats go that far.

Peter

Flipper and Kate...thank you so much for your info. Haven't decided yet how we"ll get to the zoo...but I know how to spell kuala !! Haha

Actually, I think we will play it safe and do a ship tour.

Thanks again.

Glad it helped. Either way enjoy it! At least you will know what the value in their costings are!:)