Canadian Customs Question

We are Canadians, and will be sailing on the cruise pasted below. I am assuming that after visiting St. Pierre Miquelon (Colony of France), that we will have Canadian Customs come on board to clear us before we visit St John's Newfoundland. Then all remaining ports are Canadian. We then get back to Quebec City a day early, so can come and go as we see fit the day before we depart. I am assuming that we will not have to go through customs in Quebec City.

That being said, I am hoping that RCI has their regular specials on alcohol, as this would be a great time to stock up, especially if we do not have to go through customs.

13-Oct Quebec City, Quebec

14-Oct Cruising

15-Oct Cruising

16-Oct St. Pierre, Miquelon Docked

17-Oct St John's, Newfoundland Docked

18-Oct Cruising

19-Oct Halifax, Nova Scotia Docked

20-Oct Sydney, Nova Scotia Docked

21-Oct Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island Docked

22-Oct Cruising

23-Oct Quebec City, Quebec Docked

24-Oct Quebec City, Quebec

I think your assomption is wrong. The ship is not Canadian territory and selling duty free items. I'm quite sure that everybody (Canadians and others) will have to fill out the standard customs form. Sorry to rain on your parade.

As well, from the look of the itinerary, you will not be out of Canada for 48 hours. That's the amount of time required for you to bring back duty-free alcohol (1 litre per person). Less time out and you pay duty.

I don't know if Canada Customs would count being on a ship in Canadian waters as being out of Canada.

We did same itinerary a couple of years ago except no overnight in Quebec City. Fabulous itinerary. We bought wine in St Pierre and that was exempted as we were considered to have left Canada. Made no sense to me as we were in Canadian waters for 98% of the time. Everything else was bought in Canada so no issues. We did have to go through Canadian customs but just declared the wine and were waved through.

By the way, we did not buy internet time on the ship as for all but three days - to Newfoundland in Newfoundland and then sailing away from Newfoundland we could access our Bell 3G.

Glad it worked out for you. But it's not just that you have to leave the country. You have to be out for 48 hours. Otherwise, I'd be bringing cheap liquor back on my day-trip cross-border shopping excursions in northern NY!

Those trips on land have made it clear to me - border staff have discretion about whether to apply the strict letter of the law. Sometimes they charge duty, sometimes not. Sometimes they send me inside the building and scrutinize every receipt, sometimes they just ask me what I spent and charge me duty on the amount I report. They ALWAYS ask if I have any liquor or tobacco.

So my advice to the OP is buy some booze in St Pierre if you like. Declare it. And be prepared to pay duty. Then be happy if the agent just waves you through!

Edited by wassup4565