What to do in Victoria

judydoc

I will always suggest you visit Butchart Gardens at least once when visiting Victoria. I didn't on my first visit, and once I did on the second I wished I had the first time which was a separate visit after a cruise when I would have had more time.

Do a ship's excursion though, as if you are only there a limited time you won't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time; it is a bit of a drive outside of town.

If you are visiting during the summer, I've heard they have fireworks in the evenings. There is a winery close, and sometimes they combine a visit there with the gardens. We did a wine and chocolate pairing there combined with the gardens.

I'm looking forward to returning to Victoria again, and will definitely go to the gardens again. Amazing!

We'll second Planma'ams suggestion of Butchart Gardens. But definitely do this one through a ship's excursion, as the Gardens are a bit of a drive from the pier, and the fireworks don't begin until 9:15 pm, which means you will not be back at the ship until very close to the midnight sailing time.

We've had two experiences with this excursion. One our first trip, DW & I took the Victoria Highlights and Butchart Gardens trip, with the picnic dinner thrown in. We had a fantastic tour guide (he wore a top hat & fancy dress), and the whole tour was flawless, including a wonderful picnic dinner. About the only thing we regretted was that the picnic dinner took up the time that we might otherwise have spent touring the gardens. The fireworks show was outstanding, and we were back at the ship at about 11:45 pm.

My DW has just come back from a second Alaska run, this time with her GF's, and they booked the same tour but without the picnic dinner (it's an add-on). This time, they had a horrible experience. Driver/guide was rude and seemed to know nothing about Victoria. He wanted them to sit at the edge of the fireworks viewing area so they could "Leave Early" (his instructions!) because he was worried about the traffic.

When DW and GF's got back to the bus after the fireworks, the door was already closed and he was about to leave. Apparently, he was going to leave without them! When he opened the door and let them in he was rude to them about it, telling them they should have hurried more.

So it goes with shore excursions, and that's why we don't often do them. But in this case, you don't want the ship sailing without you, so definitely book through the ship.

Edited by VideoTech

I love the harbor of Victoria, but I love the gardens more. The buildings downtown are lit at night, and they are beautiful.

Warning, If you are cruising southbound and stopping in Victoria, many ships have had issues with severe fog, and have arrived into port late. Some I have read about haven't arrived until 6:00 pm instead of 3:00 pm. Even if you stay until 11:00pm, you will want to be sure whatever you plan is open early evening. I usually NEVER recommend to book through the ship, but you might consider for Victoria because of the unusual hours in port.

Debbie

Unfortunately the last fireworks show for the summer season at Butchart Gardens is Sat August 30th. That being said, for our 40th anniversary we did the same cruise you are booked on and had a wonderful time. In Victoria we took a ship sponsored tour that went to Butchart Gardens and then to a local winery. Could have used more time at the Gardens but it was already getting dark and although they are illuminated at night day time would have been better.

We've since been back to Victoria on a day trip (ferry boat from Washington state) and had a wonderful time just walking around the harbor, taking city bus up to Craigdarroch Castle and walking back down and spending a couple hours at very fun and very good Irish Times Pub.

You are only in Victoria from 6 to midnight. If you like gardens and flowers Butchart Gardens is wonderful, otherwise skip the Gardens and just wander the harbor and downtown and stop at the Irish Times Pub :)

Here are a couple videos from youtube

kj

An alternative to the Butchart Gardens in Victoria would be visit a visit to Beacon Hill Park in downtown. Not only does it have one of the nicest gardens in town, but there is a nesting colony of Great Blue Herons. Plus the park is FREE. Check it out at: http://www.explorevancouverisland.com/Beacon_Hill_Park_Victoria_BC_Canada.htm

Last September, we took a spectacular 2 hour PEDICAB TOUR of Victoria. The driver was able to share an unique, and close up, perspective of the history of the sites in town. We did not have reservations, we walked up to the stand at the dock. It only cost $60 USD per person. Here is a link to one of the pedicab company in town that shows the different tours available: http://www.victoriatours.net/index.html

Hope this helps those looking for something unique and different to do...

It is too bad the Jewell and Pearl are only in Victoria for such a short period of time...

On one of our cruise visits, we took the city bus to Butchart Gardens. The price of an all day pass bus pass was only $5 per person - even for us non-seniors.

The closest vendor to purchase a day pass is a store called Little Gem Grocery at 148 Superior. It s about 5 blocks away from the cruise ship dock. To get there from the dock, walk out to Dallas Rd to Montreal St. walk along Montreal to Superior. After you purchase the DayPASS, walk 300 meters east on Superior Street to the bus stop to catch the #31 which runs about every 26 minutes (see the attached link for the complete directions).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=262946&d=1362510204

An alternative to the Butchart Gardens in Victoria would be visit a visit to Beacon Hill Park in downtown. Not only does it have one of the nicest gardens in town, but there is a nesting colony of Great Blue Herons. Plus the park is FREE. Check it out at: http://www.explorevancouverisland.com/Beacon_Hill_Park_Victoria_BC_Canada.htm

Last September, we took a spectacular 2 hour PEDICAB TOUR of Victoria. The driver was able to share an unique, and close up, perspective of the history of the sites in town. We did not have reservations, we walked up to the stand at the dock. It only cost $60 USD per person. Here is a link to one of the pedicab company in town that shows the different tours available: http://www.victoriatours.net/index.html

Hope this helps those looking for something unique and different to do...

Here is a better link about the pedicab in Victoria: http://www.victoriatours.net/en/tours/21464/cruise-ship-guest-package-tour

Definitely do the NCL tour to the Butchart Gardens with a stop at a winery on the way back. The gardens are beautiful!! The wine tasting ended a perfect last evening before disembarking in Seattle the next morning.

Edited by snow1

We are wondering what there is to do considering it is in the evening?

Keep in mind that even though it's an "evening" stop, it's daylight until later. We sailed to Victoria last June, arriving at 6pm and it felt as if it was 2pm. The sun didn't set until 10pm, and there was still some sunlight until we returned to the ship at 11pm. You'll have an earlier sunset since you're going later in the season (looking at the chart, seems like sunset will be around 8:30pm, so you'll have sunlight until around 9pm).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We love Victoria.

Royal BC Museum is awesome.

They have a China Town

Maritime Museum is a great place to go, one of my favorites.

Empress Hotel

You can tour the Parliament Building

There is a Miniature World next to the Empress

They have a really nice wax museum

There is a really nice soda shop on the corner across the street from the Empress.

And of course there is the world famous Rodger's Chocolates a block north of that.

All of these things are within easy walking distance of the Empress Hotel. Just take the shuttle bus to town and enjoy.