AMA Sonata Melodies of the Danube Oct 2014

Stentplacer

This is a great itinerary! It's on my list for a future booking. I can't comment on these ports, but I will give you some general advise about river cruising:

Unlike a ocean cruise, AMA will include almost everything you would have needed to plan for. Each day will include tours of the featured port(s). Don't automatically blow these off -- they are not like ocean cruise "panoramic" bus tours, they are actually intimate walking tours with just a dozen or so people following a local guide who shows you the (generally small) town and gives you a historical perspective. There is also generally free time, so you can follow up on those sites that piqued your interest (or shop).

Entertainment is low-key compared to ocean cruises, but can be just as enjoyable. On our AMA Rhine cruise we had a French chanteuse one evening, accompanied just by an accordion player -- and it was a highlight!

Wine and beer are included with lunch and dinner (or you can purchase wine ashore and bring it on with no corkage fees).

So the only major expense beyond your cruise fare will be the gratuities -- AMA will give you guidelines, and they are quite a bit higher than ocean cruises (because there are so few passengers to support the crew, and the cruise director apparently gets no salary and depends entirely on the gratuities).

Come with an open mind, and you will probably become addicted to river cruising!

You will have a wonderful time. We just did this cruise in June. The boat is beautiful, the crew very attentive and you will probably feel right at home with the passengers. We started in Budapest with 3 days prior. Make sure you get advance tickets to do the Parliment tour. It is amazing. We walked everywhere. St. Stephan's cathedral, the Opera , and the market are also things you should see. We also went the Szecheni baths, at the recommendation in the Rick Steves book. It was neat to see. The old guys were playing chess in the pool, just like on the TV show. I am not sure it was worth the cost though to do that. The first night you are on the boat, they will take you on an illumination tour of Budapest. It is beautiful at night.

Prague, again you can walk everywhere. Just watching all the people in the Old Square, seeing the Astronomical clock, the Prague castle, Wenslas square, the Charles Bridge with all the artists will keep you intrigued. The Old Town Hilton that AMA uses is very nice and very close to everything. We went to a concert that is about 1 block from the hotel. The Cafe Imperial that is highly recommended is also about 1 block away.

Have a great trip.

We love AMA and did that itinerary on AmaCerto in 2012. Loved Budapest and Prague (that was our 2nd trip) and did those DIY.

HIGHLY recommend a private guide for both cities so you can really experience them. In Prague, we have very much enjoyed several days with Andrea Řezníčková - Andrejka2002@seznam.cz. She is wonderful!

And what a pretty month to be on the river.

Reserve the Limited Edition Tours online as soon as you have made final payment.

I recommend using the local currency for each country as you WILL get a better exchange. I made a cheat sheet with all three on it, laminated it and kept it with me. Helped a lot to figure things out quickly!