Venice - St. Mark's - special interior lighting?

2travelcats

Hello --

My Rick Steves' Venice tour book says: “St. Mark’s interior is brilliantly lit from 11:30 to 12:30. Although this is an especially busy time, it may be worth it for the lighting brings the dim gold-leaf domes and mosaic to glowing life”.

I do not see any recent reviews that mention this special lighting.

Is this something that we can experience next month - September, 2014?

And if so, is it worth it to plan to take a tour during this time?

Thank you for your help!

Johnette

I've been doing extensive research for our trip in Sept. and happened upon this just yesterday. It says it is illuminated between 11:30 and 12:30 daily. So, we're arriving early for the 9:45 am opening. Hoping to see it!

on the europeforvisitors dot com/venice website.

Search either Top 11 things for Free or St. Marks, can't remember which...

Hi - I just got notification from our tour company that St Mark's is illuminated between 11:30 and 12:30 Monday - Saturday. I think on Sunday it is dependent on the time of the service.

Thanks Motorcycle Gma for your input and it looks like we will both get a chance to experience the special lighting!

- Johnette

Yes, it's very worth it. We were there this past June and caught the free English speaking tour sponsored by the church (see the website). As we went inside the lights started and I thought it made a big difference. I would definately try and time your visit if you can. Enjoy Venice !

http://www.basilicasanmarco.it/WAI/eng/visite/interne/visite.bsm

Try that. It's the Saint Mark's official website. They offer a free tour in various languages. We purchased advanced entrance tickets (we did not want to chance the wait times) and went straight in around 10:50. We asked the attendant at the gate when we entered and he pointed to the gathering area on the right. It started promptly at 11 - several different tour guides for several languages. We started outside then moved inside. The lights turned on shortly after (while our guide was speaking). We definately learned a lot and thought the lights made it much more beautiful.

Check the website for dates and times. We were there in June.

http://www.basilicasanmarco.it/WAI/eng/visite/interne/visite.bsm

Try that. It's the Saint Mark's official website. They offer a free tour in various languages. We purchased advanced entrance tickets (we did not want to chance the wait times) and went straight in around 10:50. We asked the attendant at the gate when we entered and he pointed to the gathering area on the right. It started promptly at 11 - several different tour guides for several languages. We started outside then moved inside. The lights turned on shortly after (while our guide was speaking). We definately learned a lot and thought the lights made it much more beautiful.

Check the website for dates and times. We were there in June.

This is jus what I needed! Thanks so much.