Two Underground Questions

We're planning on taking the Southwest Train from Waterloo to visit Hampton Court Palace. Looking at the TFL map and I can't figure out if the intersection of the District and Circle lines are interchange stations with the Jubilee Line. I see two wheelchair icons at the place where they cross , but I don't know whether that means they're interchange stations to the Jubilee line as well.

How are the repairs coming along with the Gloucester Street station? Any predictions on when the work will be completed and the station will be fully back in action?

Westminster station has interchange between District, Circle and Jubilee Lines.

Baker Street has interchange between Circle and Jubilee.

Thanks. Did you have a particular reason to draw my attention to the Baker Street station? I'm not being critical. I'm just trying to figure out how I might use this information since it doesn't appear to be the answer to either question I asked.

We're at the very, very early planning stages of a six-day trip -- flights booked but no hotel decision yet. Our activities so far involve Tower Hill, Waterloo Station (en route to Hampton Court), and St. Pancras Station (en route to Canterbury West on the high speed line or Victoria on the main line to Canterbury East), and Borough Market. With destinations likely to be all over the map, we haven't honed in on a preferred neighborhood for a hotel.

Finally, any thoughts about the choice between Canterbury East and Canterbury West?

When using the TFL site, use the journey planner to tell you the quickest and/or easiest route. As your planning isn't finalised, use your best guess for a start point.

To answer your first question, you change at Westminster for Jubilee assuming you are in the southern part of the Circle or the District Line. If you are on the northern part of the Circle Line, change at Baker Street. If you are out east, you can change from the Circle Line to the Jubilee Line at Stratford.

If you are heading to Hampton Court, you can also take a boat from Westminster pier.

The works are going on at Gloucester Road until December.

How are the repairs coming along with the Gloucester Street station? Any predictions on when the work will be completed and the station will be fully back in action?

From TFL - GLOUCESTER ROAD STATION: From Saturday 24 May until mid-December, Piccadilly line trains will not stop due to lift works. District and Circle line trains stop as normal.

St. Pancras Station (en route to Canterbury West on the high speed line or Victoria on the main line to Canterbury East)

Finally, any thoughts about the choice between Canterbury East and Canterbury West?

Six of one, and half a dozen of the other. You pay more to travel on HS1 from St Pancras, but it is faster.

For any journeys within London use this - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

For any train journeys outside London use this - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

I find Traveline South East to be particularly useful as it gives options for most modes of public transport.

I assume you actually mean http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/

It is not terrible, but it can give some very strange results.

If I ask it for the route from my office in central London to my home, it shows a 1 hour 50 minute journey that has me catching a train to a town 15 miles away, walking a mile to a bus station, then catching a bus the 15 miles home, before walking a mile from the bus stop.

And yet there is a direct 37 minute train from Kings Cross to a station two miles from my house.

Thanks. Did you have a particular reason to draw my attention to the Baker Street station? I'm not being critical. I'm just trying to figure out how I might use this information since it doesn't appear to be the answer to either question I asked.

You first question wasn't at all clear as you didn't give station names so I covered both the zone 1 options for changing on to the Jubilee line from Circle and District.

You first question wasn't at all clear as you didn't give station names so I covered both the zone 1 options for changing on to the Jubilee line from Circle and District.

Got it. Definitely a lesson in communication. I thought I had been clear since the Circle and District lines simultaneously connect to the Jubilee line only at Westminster in the south. I've since figured out that the Circle line connects to Jubilee in the north at Baker -- exactly what you shared earlier.

Thanks.

If you are heading to Hampton Court, you can also take a boat from Westminster pier.

I'm considering the three-hour boat ride on the way back to London, but I think we'll take the faster-if-less-scenic train ride getting there. A visit to Kew is still a possibility so it might make more sense to take our boat ride for that visit. Clearly, our trip is a work in progress.

The London Toolkit web site mentions a discount for boat riders who hold a "Travel Card" -- their words. Is a Travel Card the same thing as an Oyster Card?

Thanks.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I'm considering the three-hour boat ride on the way back to London, but I think we'll take the faster-if-less-scenic train ride getting there. A visit to Kew is still a possibility so it might make more sense to take our boat ride for that visit. Clearly, our trip is a work in progress.

The London Toolkit web site mentions a discount for boat riders who hold a "Travel Card" -- their words. Is a Travel Card the same thing as an Oyster Card?

Thanks.

A Travelcard is a rail ticket that has a tube/bus/DLR add-on for a very small charge. If memory serves, there is something like a 20% discount for travel card holders. When I go into London, I almost always get a Travelcard. I am not sure the situation if you are already in London.

An Oyster card is a card that you preload with credit to be used for London Transport and rail journeys within London. The Oyster prices are significantly lower than cash prices.

Got it. Definitely a lesson in communication. I thought I had been clear since the Circle and District lines simultaneously connect to the Jubilee line only at Westminster in the south. I've since figured out that the Circle line connects to Jubilee in the north at Baker -- exactly what you shared earlier.

Thanks.

The map is confusing at Westminster, because of different access to the different lines there, hence the two wheelchair symbols in the interchange circles.

Further clarification - the District Line and Circle Line share tracks along that whole stretch where the green and yellow lines are joined on the map - you have to check the indicator board or front of the train to see which line and where the ultimate destination of that particular train is. But for shorthand, where it makes no difference (e.g. Victoria to Tower Hill) people will talk of the 'District and Circle Line' as a single entity, because you can take the first train that comes along regardless.

As with many things about the tube, it makes a lot more sense when you are actually using it!

The map is confusing at Westminster, because of different access to the different lines there, hence the two wheelchair symbols in the interchange circles.

Which brings us right back to where this thread started. Since the wheelchair icon is coincidentally round, I couldn't tell whether the map was conveying accessability information only or whether the roundness also signaled interchange like the more typical open circle. I don't know what the DLR line is, but clearly, all those stations showing the wheelchair icon aren't signaling change points.

As with many things about the tube, it makes a lot more sense when you are actually using it!

+1