Disney Fish Extender gifts

cosmicgirl

:) Hello,

My 6 year daughter (who will turn 7 when we cruise), my husband, my parents and I will be taking our first Disney cruise next year in September. I've been on 7 cruises prior but this is our first Disney cruise. I always book my cruises 1 year out...ok now that the intro is done :rolleyes:

I did some research and I didn't know about the Disney fish extender gifts....if you don't know, its when you make sort of a "hanging mailbox" for your cabin door and other cruisers will be candy, little toys, etc and by the end of each day you have treats for your kids.

I would like to know has anyone done this before and if so did you find a roll call group to exchange/handout goodies to? What was your experience with this?

Thank you:p

:) Hello,

My 6 year daughter (who will turn 7 when we cruise), my husband, my parents and I will be taking our first Disney cruise next year in September. I've been on 7 cruises prior but this is our first Disney cruise. I always book my cruises 1 year out...ok now that the intro is done :rolleyes:

I did some research and I didn't know about the Disney fish extender gifts....if you don't know, its when you make sort of a "hanging mailbox" for your cabin door and other cruisers will be candy, little toys, etc and by the end of each day you have treats for your kids.

I would like to know has anyone done this before and if so did you find a roll call group to exchange/handout goodies to? What was your experience with this?

Thank you:p

Fish Extender exchanges are set up on Roll Calls (or cruise meets, or FB). You need to find your cruise and sign up on their FE list (if they are doing a FE). You can't just hang up a Fish Extender and expect people to drop things in them. I've read that some TAs are giving out that (incorrect) information. You must be signed up with a group. If you need help looking for the meet thread for your cruise I'd suggest an internet search for "fish extender Disney cruise" and check out the hits that you get. They will help you find a group (if there is one) for your cruise.

We've participated on 3 of our DCL cruises. It was a lot of fun and we got great gifts.

It's a nice little event. Do remember that you are expected to give a gift to each person or cabin in your FE group as well as getting.

As above, you find or form an FE group on the roll call section for your cruise date here or on other web sites. If there isn't a group for your dates, feel free to start one yourself. The roll calls generally get more active as the cruise nears.

Consider before you join whether you want to carry or ship gifts for 20+ cabins. Obviously, there is the cost of the gifts, the time involved, and getting them to the ship to think about before you commit. I'm NOT trying to be negative--we've had great fun with it on some cruises. But there is effort involved.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank you so much for explaining the fish extenders. Several weeks ago, I joined an FB page for my 2015 cruise. Fish extenders has been a topic and I had no idea, what my fellow cruisers were talking about. Too embarrassed to ask. Can I ask what type of gifts are given out, just so I have an idea what I'll be looking for? So, would my son make his own hanging mailbox, and we will take it with us. (Might be a neat art project for him). Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal

Thank you so much for explaining the fish extenders. Several weeks ago, I joined an FB page for my 2015 cruise. Fish extenders has been a topic and I had no idea, what my fellow cruisers were talking about. Too embarrassed to ask. Can I ask what type of gifts are given out, just so I have an idea what I'll be looking for? So, would my son make his own hanging mailbox, and we will take it with us. (Might be a neat art project for him). Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal

Gifts can range from quite intricate hand-made items to "goodie bag" sorts of things. We've received waterbottles personalized for our cruise, temporary tattoos for pirate night, candy specific to region of giver, postcards of hometowns, individual first aid kits, candy, miniature photo albums, and much more I can't think of right off-hand.

If you do an image search for "Fish Extender gifts" you'll find lots of pictures of stuff people have made/given/received.

anything and everything. Truly. Many make their own gifts.... knitting, crochet, jewellery etc. Others choose to purchase things already made. Much of the stuff comes from the dollar store as well. The thing to remember, is that this entire exercise is meant to be fun, as in spreading pixie dust, and not keeping score of who gives what. If anyone is really interested, you can go into Facebook, look for 'fish extender' and I believe a whole slew of groups will turn up. You will be amazed at what you see. And excited!

Thank you for the up and up everyone. I did do more research and just to be clear I do understand that I would be giving gifts as well. BullDawg91 was it here on CC or was it another site? Meanwhile, I'll do more research...these sort of special games are my thing...thaaaaa***********s all

Thank you for the up and up everyone. I did do more research and just to be clear I do understand that I would be giving gifts as well. BullDawg91 was it here on CC or was it another site? Meanwhile, I'll do more research...these sort of special games are my thing...thaaaaa***********s all

Try disboards dot com .. My sailing last September was more active there than here on cc.

It was disboards. I couldn't remember the rule about mentioning other sites. Roll calls are much busier there or someone on your FB group should be organizing the FE group.

We loved our FB groups for actually recognizing people onboard.

Some people went ordered gifts from Etsy, some made gifts, some gave candy. All were appreciated.

Just search FE gifts on Google and you'll get lots of ideas.