BELIZE - Snorkeling or Cave Tubing?

kchesneylover

okay - I have several questions. If you had to do it all over again, would you go cave tubing or snorkeling in Belize?

Are their fish in the waters when cave tubing? Is it sea water or lake water? Will I get eaten by a shark?

What is the best thing to do in Belize? My DH is addicted to snorkeling and says it is the best in the world in belize and grand cayman. What should I do?!?

I can't help but laugh at parts of your post!!:D I am pretty sure u won't be eaten by a shark!!! lol

We went cave tubing and I don't regret it for a minute! Your DH is right about the snorkeling though, Belize has the second largest barrier reef in the world so snorkeling is amazing there, I am sure. We choose cave tubing though because you can't do that anywhere else in the world that I am aware of (correct me someone if I am wrong). We snorkeled in Cozumel instead which was amazing!!!! What other ports are you going to be at besides Belize? If there is some other amazing snorkeling port then I would book snorkeling there and cave tubing in Belize. Just my opninion!:)

Sorry, I realized I didn't answer a couple of your questions. The water in the river is fresh water and it has some fish but they are just little guys and I never saw anything but minnows. The water is very clear!

Leosmom-

they give you a life jacket and a tube so you shouldn't have any trouble. The water does get deep in the caves but with Coral Breeze we all hooked together to ensure safety for everyone. I think you would be okay without knowing how to swim but they would probably want you to wear a life jacket just in case!:eek:

Thanks Browe and Tailon for your replies. Believe me, I WOULD NOT

go into even a tube without a life preserver! When i looked at one of the

sites, i believe it was Xtreme, it said something about knowing how to

swim was a requirement but i guess it's there to cover themselves.

I think i will go ahead and book it, from what i've read the river is not

rapid like so I should be okay.....Thanks again!

Hola,

If you have not tubed, you need to try it. You can snorkel in the Caymans, Jamaica, Coz, Calica or Belize, but as far as I know, this is the only place to cave tube. When and if I go back to Belize, I will probably go snorkeling, but I am glad that we went tubing the last time.

Thank you to everyone who replied! I am so excited to go to Belize and go snorkeling. I think that is what we are going to do. I think I might take doggy biscuits as someone suggested to feed the fish, as well as take some awesome underwater pictures.

Is their a way we can do this by ourselves - I mean does the ship tender near the reef? Can I just leave the ship then walk to the beach where the reef is?

Is their a way we can do this by ourselves - I mean does the ship tender near the reef? Can I just leave the ship then walk to the beach where the reef is?

Hola amigos,

I didn't see a beach near the tender dock. There may be a beach club near that can be had via taxi. Maybe someone else can shed light on this.

This is one of the ports where you need to plan a tour. There are several good companies to book through that are cheaper than the ship cruises and they don't herd you like cattle. My in-laws booked a boat snorkel trip at the tender dock for $40 pp and had a ball. You can research tours by doing a google.

Archived