Boston Transportation

Sunkissed Mommy

Hi All, we'll be spending two nights in Boston before our Brilliance of the Seas cruise in early October. We're staying at the Hyatt Regency somewhat near Bsoton Common. I am curious about public transportation in Boston.

We're form South Florida and almost never use buses, trains, etc. We drive ourselves everywhere. Public transportation down here just stinks! However I have successfully navigated San Francisco and Amsterdam's public busses, trains, etc by just studying maps.

We are not renting a car in Boston, just taking a taxi to the hotel and then to the cruise port. We are not afraid of walking (we walked from E Wacker Dr to Shedd Aquarium last summer in Chicago, lol).

Is public transportation in Boston easy to figure out?? With a toddler/stroller?? Is it worth buying a day pass (do they even offer those?) Give me all you've got on Boston and getting around!

Hi All, we'll be spending two nights in Boston before our Brilliance of the Seas cruise in early October. We're staying at the Hyatt Regency somewhat near Bsoton Common. I am curious about public transportation in Boston.

We're form South Florida and almost never use buses, trains, etc. We drive ourselves everywhere. Public transportation down here just stinks! However I have successfully navigated San Francisco and Amsterdam's public busses, trains, etc by just studying maps.

We are not renting a car in Boston, just taking a taxi to the hotel and then to the cruise port. We are not afraid of walking (we walked from E Wacker Dr to Shedd Aquarium last summer in Chicago, lol).

Is public transportation in Boston easy to figure out?? With a toddler/stroller?? Is it worth buying a day pass (do they even offer those?) Give me all you've got on Boston and getting around!

One nice thing about Boston is that nearly everything is within walking distance, especially from the Common. Having said that, the T is probably less complicated for an outsider than driving in Boston! Lots of people will help you if you get lost. Depending on the time of day, like rush hour, a stroller and toddler may cause you some stress in the crowded cars.

Being originally from the Chicago area, I know what your reference to the walk there is, and that's about 3 miles, mostly through Grant Park. That's longer than the entire Freedom Trail that starts at the Common and ends in Charlestown across the river in the Navy Yard.

One nice thing about Boston is that nearly everything is within walking distance, especially from the Common. Having said that, the T is probably less complicated for an outsider than driving in Boston! Lots of people will help you if you get lost. Depending on the time of day, like rush hour, a stroller and toddler may cause you some stress in the crowded cars.

Being originally from the Chicago area, I know what your reference to the walk there is, and that's about 3 miles, mostly through Grant Park. That's longer than the entire Freedom Trail that starts at the Common and ends in Charlestown across the river in the Navy Yard.

We're flying in on a Friday and spending that evening, Saturday, and Sunday morning exploring the city. Hopefully we'll avoid the busy times.

I've heard that Boston is fairly walkable. Good to hear that the Freedom Trail isn't terribly long. I'll start researching the T, thanks for the info.

We're flying in on a Friday and spending that evening, Saturday, and Sunday morning exploring the city. Hopefully we'll avoid the busy times.

I've heard that Boston is fairly walkable. Good to hear that the Freedom Trail isn't terribly long. I'll start researching the T, thanks for the info.

While the trail isn't long, you might need to trade in your stroller after your cruise, as the streets and sidewalks in New England tend to be brick or cobble, and you'll at least need a wheel alignment after pushing it for a couple of days.:D

The T is accessible, but sometimes you have to walk a bit to be able to use that accessibility as I found out with my rolling luggage last April in the Downtown Crossing Station, which is the closest station to your hotel. Can the two of you carry a stroller up or down a flight of stairs if necessary?

The MBTA.com web site will give you prices for day passes. I believe it takes about 5 rides to make a pass worthwhile. The Downtown Crossing T office is not open on the weekends, but you can get a hard plastic Charlie Card at Park St Station 7 am to 7 pm that you can load up with money and pay $2.10 per ride for the adults only.

I'm not a big fan of the Freedom Trail between the North End and the Constitution. For an alternative consider riding the MBTA water taxi between Long Wharf (east end of Faneuil Hall area by the Aquarium) and the Constitution (nice cheap harbor cruise $3.25 each way) and just walking a loop through the North End. The Freedom Trail is just a suggested walking route through old Boston that takes you past all the important historical sites that are sandwiched between the more modern buildings. Be sure to print out a map so you know where you're going and what you're seeing.

You may want to check out The Old Town Trolly, hop on hop off pass. I'm a bostonian and I've always wanted to do it. Boston is a small big town so there are a lot of things to miss while you're in the subway. The drivers are awesome...I can hear them on the speaker when they pass by. They will show you things you might miss otherwise.

Have fun!

http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/?gclid=CjwKEAjwyYCgBRCMmbWl5beV_RQSJABESqHAmunSPaiPbKxoEBtVsfx9Ph4TEi7WKZGg9PNe1-gyAhoCPuXw_wcB

Hi,

Maybe you can help me out with location of a hotel in the area. We are cruising out of Boston in October and have never been there so have no idea what area to stay. I was told that from some hotels you can take the silver line back to the airport and take another line directly to the Black Falcon Port. Will arrive on a Saturday afternoon about 3 pm and will have to first go to the hotel to drop off luggage before touring around. Is that enough time to see anything or does everything close early on a Saturday? What are your suggestions on hotels and "must see" places? Thank you so much for your info.

There are there 4* hotels near the World Trade Center stop on the Silver Line - the Westin, the Renaissance, and the Seaport. From the WTC Station it is possible to take the SL1 Silver Line to the airport or the SL2 Silver Line to Black Falcon. There is also a Residence Inn near the Courthouse Station with the same Silver Line options.

What is your exact date? What is your hotel budget? October is high season and hotels can be super expensive, so I think your best strategy is to first find an affordable hotel and then worry about your transportation and sightseeing options.

There will be things to do on a Saturday night.

Edited by 138east

We will be there the last week in October. Is quincey Market nice to walk to or Faneuil Hall? We are a little confused with all the talk of the "T". Sounds easy if you are familiar with getting all the tickets!!

Also, which is better transportationto get from Black Falcon doc on return back to Logan, taxi or "t"?

Please, what is the exact date(s) you would need a hotel room and what is your budget? October is a very expensive month.

Boston is small and cab fares in town are inexpensive. However, the T is more inexpensive. Given the location of both the Airport and Black Falcon Terminal on the Silver Line, the T is a really cheap or free option (out of the airport only) for folks who can manage their luggage.

Please, what is the exact date(s) you would need a hotel room and what is your budget? October is a very expensive month.

Boston is small and cab fares in town are inexpensive. However, the T is more inexpensive. Given the location of both the Airport and Black Falcon Terminal on the Silver Line, the T is a really cheap or free option (out of the airport only) for folks who can manage their luggage.

After reading your great advice on Boston......we booked the Westin Boston Waterfront for one night thru Hotwire.$220 for Oct 30.

Plan on taking your suggested airport transfer on the silverline for free.

Do we get off at the WTC for the Westin.

Thanks for help .

Hi,

Maybe you can help me out with location of a hotel in the area. We are cruising out of Boston in October and have never been there so have no idea what area to stay.

We will be staying at the Embassy Suites near BOS.

Never stayed there before, but they have a shuttle to the pier for $10 pp.

Also, very close to the T for heading into Boston for sightseeing.

I was told that from some hotels you can take the silver line back to the airport and take another line directly to the Black Falcon Port.

The Silver Line bus can get you between pier & airport. You have to transfer buses at South Station.http://www.mbta.com has all the details.

After reading your great advice on Boston......we booked the Westin Boston Waterfront for one night thru Hotwire.$220 for Oct 30.

Plan on taking your suggested airport transfer on the silverline for free.

Do we get off at the WTC for the Westin.

Thanks for help .

That's great! Hotwire has the best prices and the 4* hotel in the Waterfront area is almost always the Westin.

For the Silver Line from the airport, you should find it easier to get on the rear door with luggage. The bus actually makes two stops at the World Trade Center. The first is outside on the street - you would go inside and take the elevator to the upper level to exit out onto the upper street to walk to the Westin, which you can see from the upper level. (NOTE: if you were going to Black Falcon you would NOT get off at the first WTC street stop)

The Silver Line bus can get you between pier & airport. You have to transfer buses at South Station.http://www.mbta.com has all the details.

The best transfer point going from the airport to Black Falcon is the second World Trade Center stop. The first stop is outside on the street and you do NOT want to get off (getting off will cost you a T fare). The bus will swing around the corner and go into the actual inside T station - be sure to push the stop requested button or tell the drive you want to get off at the inside station - they may not stop if no one is waiting on the platform. Inside the station you take the escalator up to the mezzanine level, take the elevator down to the platform on the other side, and take the SL2 bus to Black Falcon Ave. Tell the driver you want the cruise terminal.

October 18 for one night. Not sure which location is the best as we are limited to just Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning for a couple of hours. Have read a lot about all the different areas, waterfront, theater district, etc. Not sure which is best.

On Hotwire the 3.5* hotel for $225 + tax in the Theater District is highly likely to be the Park Plaza and the 4* hotel for $224 in the Waterfront District is highly likely to be the Westin Waterfront. You should make a decision quickly because that weekend is the Head of the Charles Regatta and these rooms will be gone ASAP - this weekend all the students are coming back.

You can walk to more stuff from the Park Plaza, but it is an older hotel with an elegant lobby but can have odd older rooms. The Westin is new within the last 6-7 years and is the hotel for the Convention Center. It is also the closest hotel to Black Falcon Terminal.

From a financial standpoint you can take the free Silver Line from the airport and walk one block to the Westin, whereas a cab from the airport to the Park Plaza will be $30-35. Cab to the Westin from the airport should be $20-25. You will also pay about $15 from the Park Plaza to the pier and under $10 from the Westin to the pier. Cab from either hotel to Faneuil Hall would be about $10.

Bottom line - make a decision quickly.

That's great! Hotwire has the best prices and the 4* hotel in the Waterfront area is almost always the Westin.

For the Silver Line from the airport, you should find it easier to get on the rear door with luggage. The bus actually makes two stops at the World Trade Center. The first is outside on the street - you would go inside and take the elevator to the upper level to exit out onto the upper street to walk to the Westin, which you can see from the upper level. (NOTE: if you were going to Black Falcon you would NOT get off at the first WTC street stop)

Thanks,

Happy with the Westin.

Well I took your advise and just booked on Hotwire as you said Boston will be very busy that weekend.

224.00 + tax = 281.00 is what I got from hotwire. Not the Westin Waterfront but Seaport Boston on 1 Seaport Lane. I haven't seen anything mentioned about this hotel. Do you know if its in a good location , same as the Westin. I looked at it on line, it looks ok. This is my first time using hotwire, I ususally use Priceline but wanted to try hotwire with all the good reviews I have been reading.

Thank you so much for your info, it is a great big help for someone who has never been to Boston!!

The Seaport is perfect - usually folks don't get that. It's closer to the waterfront and a half block from the Silver Line. I have stayed there in the past and would definitely recommend it. Aren't you lucky! If you can roll your luggage in an airport, you can easily take the Silver Line from the airport. I used to work at the World Trade Center, which is beyond the Seaport right on the water, and many times I've trolled my luggage from home to work at the WTC and then to Logan to catch a flight.

To go to the Seaport from the Silver Line, you would get off at the first WTC stop on the street. The Seaport is across the street, but you have to walk to the corner (same direction as the bus is going) to be able to cross at the light. The entrance is right on the other side of the street intersection.

Hi,

Maybe you can help me out with location of a hotel in the area. We are cruising out of Boston in October and have never been there so have no idea what area to stay. I was told that from some hotels you can take the silver line back to the airport and take another line directly to the Black Falcon Port. Will arrive on a Saturday afternoon about 3 pm and will have to first go to the hotel to drop off luggage before touring around. Is that enough time to see anything or does everything close early on a Saturday? What are your suggestions on hotels and "must see" places? Thank you so much for your info.

I just did an Expedia mock search for October 11, 2 adults, check out October 12. (I have to say I'm blown away at the prices of hotels in Boston) I don't know exactly which Saturday in October you are coming in on. Other than the below, Cambridge hotels seem to be somewhat reasonable in price and still accessible by public transportation for sightseeing. But a bit further away.

If money is not a concern, the seaport area is the best. If you are shopping price and based on the search I did , the below look to be the best for less. I can't vouch for the hotels personally. These prices may be a bit higher than other weekends as that is a Columbus Day weekend and peak foliage. New England is hopping in the fall. And "no" Boston doesn't close up early on Saturdays. There's plenty to do well into the night. boston.com is a good resource for all that's going on around town.

Here's my short list of 'cheaper/convenient hotels'

-Constitution Inn (Charlestown) $209...Cheaper as it is right outside the city, but easy walk in to the North End and other public Transportation to the rest of the town. I wouldn't be scared off of this one. Right near the Constitution Ship and just a short walk over the bridge (Rt. 99 on mapquest) into Historic areas of Boston. A lot of what you might want to see is walking distance.. Fanueil Hall, Old state house/boston Massacre, Boston Tea Party Museum, Boston Common, Old North Church, Paul Revere House. Cheap cab ride if you don't want to do public transportation. I would suggest taking the trolley tour. You can follow the Freedom Trail from The Constitution.

-Embassy Suites Logan Airport $319...probably most convenient as it is right at the airport and on public transportation to Boston and Seaport

-lMidtown Hotel $299....Boston's back bay. I"m not sure I'd pick this one, good location but a bit further from the airport and seaport.

If you wanted to take the Silver Line to the ship, take the red line subway to South Station and you can pick it up from there.

From the Embassy at Logan, you can pick up the silverline right there at the airport. I'm fairly sure the water shuttle can take you there too...just not certain.

Hope this helps

The OP is all set. They are coming Oct 18, which is the Head of the Charles Regatta weekend. They got a room on Hotwire at the Seaport for $281 tax included, which is a great price for any hotel that weekend and gives them the option to eliminate the airport cab fare by taking the free Silver Line from the airport to the hotel. The Seaport is right at the World Trade Center, so they are positioned to run into downtown and do whatever sightseeing they like and are also at one of the closest hotels to the pier. They are booking very late for this big weekend and IMO thy really lucked out!

Thank you so much for all your information. I have been trying to decide for weeks on which area to stay in Boston. When you told me I better hurry up because I was coming a very busy weekend, I booked immediately through Hotwire. From what you said it seems I got a really good price and location at the Seaport Hotel. My husband is so grateful I finally made a decision and booked!!