Cashless Tolls!

Scotch Mist

We'll be visiting family in the Tampa area before heading to Miami for our cruise. We'll probably stay somewhere in the vicinity of the airport the night before we sail. Does anyone know if we'd likely be using toll roads and, if so, would the mini Sunpass be a good idea.

Still looking for some advice from someone familiar with the area. If it would be simpler to just forget the Sunpass and pay a bit more for the "toll by plate" we're ok with that since we'll be driving our car.

Still looking for some advice from someone familiar with the area. If it would be simpler to just forget the Sunpass and pay a bit more for the "toll by plate" we're ok with that since we'll be driving our car.

Greetings

You will probably want to take I-75 from Tampa to Miami. When you reach the Lauderdale area you may wish to use I-595 east to I-95 south to get to the port of Miami. Otherwise you will have to use the turnpike or the Palmetto expressway as well as the 836 expressway once in Miami. The turnpike in Miami as well as the 836 are cashless tolls. There is one toll section on I-75, Alligator Alley. The toll is $3.00 and they take cash.

Good Sailing

Tom

This is interesting.

The route I will be taking on Google says Partial Toll Road and its from Davie Florida to Downtown Miami and lists the roads as FL-924 E/Garigny Pkwy/ then follow signs for FL-826 N/Opa Locka

Not sure which of those listed are the partial toll roads but how would I know if it is a cashless toll or not?

This is interesting.

The route I will be taking on Google says Partial Toll Road and its from Davie Florida to Downtown Miami and lists the roads as FL-924 E/Garigny Pkwy/ then follow signs for FL-826 N/Opa Locka

Not sure which of those listed are the partial toll roads but how would I know if it is a cashless toll or not?

Greetings

FL-826 is the Palmetto Expressway. It is affectionately known as the Pal Messo Expressway since it is often times a real mess. I-75 ends at the FL-826. To get from FL-826 to the port you would want to take the FL-836 (Dolphin Expressway). It is a cashless toll road running east-west. The 826 becomes I-395 after passing I-95. If you stay on I-395 and cross the first causeway bridge you will find the entrance to the new port tunnels in the left lane.

IMO you are much better using the I-595 to I-95 route from Davie to the port. Just exit I-95 at I-395.

Good Sailing

Tom

IMPORTANT POINT

If you are driving your OWN car, there is no 'penalty' for not having a SUNPASS when you encounter an electronic ONLY toll.

If the toll is ELECTRON ONLY, the toll by plate kicks in and the state sends a bill once a month with a service charge which is SMALL ... under $2 BUT DON"T blow off toll plazas that DO have a cash lane .... then you could get a ticket in the mail. Many parts of MIAMI ARE electron only and NOT part of the tollway system ....

Yes is IS complicated .... this is Florida, the rules are different here . . .

IMO if you come to Florida routinely, invest the $25 in the 'big' SUNPASS. You can register multiple vehicles and transfer it from car to car .... I've had the same one for many years now (well, SUNPASS recently replaced it for FREE) (even if you are renting, you can add the rental's TAG to your account on-line in about 2 minutes and then remove it just as fast)

Interesting side note .... if you have the BIG SUNPASS, you don't even need to have it in the car! With a BIG SUNPASS account you can register multiple lic' plate numbers to the one device as it is OK to move it around. When your car goes thru an electronic lane the 'system' tries to read a transponder. If it can't find one, it considers the possibility of a booboo (device left at home ... in glove box ... ate by dog) and checks the SUNPASS list of registered LIC PLATES. If the tag is in the list the toll is processed normally. My daughter's tag is on my account and she hasn't had a transponder for 2 years ... I get her tolls on my bill tho.

{this does NOT work with the SUNPASS MINI - the $5 one .... BECAUSE the MINI is NOT designed to be moved from car to car. You can not add vehicles OR change vehicles .... but you CAN get a refund for unused funds still on the device when you sell/dispose of the car.}

IMPORTANT POINT

If you are driving your OWN car, there is no 'penalty' for not having a SUNPASS when you encounter an electronic ONLY toll.

If the toll is ELECTRON ONLY, the toll by plate kicks in and the state sends a bill once a month with a service charge which is SMALL ... under $2 BUT DON"T blow off toll plazas that DO have a cash lane .... then you could get a ticket in the mail. Many parts of MIAMI ARE electron only and NOT part of the tollway system ....

Yes is IS complicated .... this is Florida, the rules are different here . . .

IMO if you come to Florida routinely, invest the $25 in the 'big' SUNPASS. You can register multiple vehicles and transfer it from car to car .... I've had the same one for many years now (well, SUNPASS recently replaced it for FREE) (even if you are renting, you can add the rental's TAG to your account on-line in about 2 minutes and then remove it just as fast)

Interesting side note .... if you have the BIG SUNPASS, you don't even need to have it in the car! With a BIG SUNPASS account you can register multiple lic' plate numbers to the one device as it is OK to move it around. When your car goes thru an electronic lane the 'system' tries to read a transponder. If it can't find one, it considers the possibility of a booboo (device left at home ... in glove box ... ate by dog) and checks the SUNPASS list of registered LIC PLATES. If the tag is in the list the toll is processed normally. My daughter's tag is on my account and she hasn't had a transponder for 2 years ... I get her tolls on my bill tho.

{this does NOT work with the SUNPASS MINI - the $5 one .... BECAUSE the MINI is NOT designed to be moved from car to car. You can not add vehicles OR change vehicles .... but you CAN get a refund for unused funds still on the device when you sell/dispose of the car.}

Thanks. We're staying near MIA the night before and parking at the port during the cruise. Sounds like the toll by plate system will be easier.