Carnival Liberty 8/1/05 - 8/13/05 Review

BillnBobbi

Bill: Loved your review!! I took a "stinkin" art history class in college. Couldn't figure out why it would be required for my degree. Anyway....about 2 weeks into the class, I vowed to go to Europe and see the art and cathedrals. That's been "several" years ago.....thanks for the reminder!! Now - how to talk hubby into going to Europe!!

The intention of a Liberal Arts college education in the past was not to have you learn a trade or profession but to make you into a well rounded, well educated individual. Art and Music were always considered a requisite part of that education, going all the way back to the ancient Greeks and all the way up to World War II.

Then, something happened. College meant learning nothing more than some trade or profession (pre-grad school requisites). I now know people who graduate from college (my own kids and their spouses come first to mind)

who are completely ignorant when it comes to fine arts and literature.

I'm very proud of all of my children. Yet my older son, who is a successful corporate attorney, graduated with a degree in English, but never had to read much by Shakespeare and read NOTHING by James Joyce. How do you get a degree in English without doing that? He has no knowledge of history, except for the rudimentary and virtually useless things from High School.

My younger guy has an extensive knowledge of art because that was his major and now he is a professional artist, and I'm glad to say quite successful for his young age. Here again though, the other disciplines were overlooked.

I don't think this is their fault so much as the fault of the university system here in which the government encourages our schools (through requirements for receiving money) to turn out workers for the "machine".

But that's enough on that topic.

IF NOTHING ELSE, LEARNING ABOUT ART IN COLLEGE AT LEAST WOULD HELP YOU TO NOT GET RIPPED OFF AT THOSE BOGUS ART AUCTIONS ON THE CRUISE SHIPS. :-)

Bill

Thanks Bill for the additional information.

We were going to do Florence/Pisa but after some of the descriptions from other cruisers of what the tour is like, we are leaning (like the tower) towards spending the day in Florence on our own. Thanks also for the ticket link.

Would I be correct in that the admission, service charges, etc were included in the pricing they showed? No extra charges?

I was also on same cruise (8/1) and agree with much already posted but have an opinion/review/version that i'd like to share.As a matter of fact i signed on yesterday after following cruise critic for the last 3 years or so because i felt compelled to share my opinions of this cruise.first,the cruise was great and i would not hesitate to recommend

it to anyone. We were not big fans of john heald. he struck me as a windbag who liked the sound of his own voice and was less than forthright and honest in his info.his act is as old as the hills and much of his so called entertainment would be better suited for the carribean.Less john heald-more not john heald.Also ,we were on deck not 50 feet from the heart attack victim while passing stromboli and he was gone when he hit the deck. they did not save him or keep him alive till they got him on shore. in fact when they took him off the boat he was in a body bag zipped open just to the neck to make it appear he was still alive. More on john heald and anything else if you want. Suggestion-when in venice buy 24 hour vapporretto pass and for cheap gondola write pay 1/2 euro for ride across canal in 2 rower gondola.

Thanks Bill for the additional information.

We were going to do Florence/Pisa but after some of the descriptions from other cruisers of what the tour is like, we are leaning (like the tower) towards spending the day in Florence on our own. Thanks also for the ticket link.

Would I be correct in that the admission, service charges, etc were included in the pricing they showed? No extra charges?

Yes. Just go to the website, and it takes you through the procedure for booking the tickets at the different museums. BE SURE YOU PUT DOWN THE CORRECT DATE. DOUBLE CHECK THAT AND THE TIMES IF YOU HAVE TO.

Bill

I was also on same cruise (8/1) and agree with much already posted but have an opinion/review/version that i'd like to share.As a matter of fact i signed on yesterday after following cruise critic for the last 3 years or so because i felt compelled to share my opinions of this cruise.first,the cruise was great and i would not hesitate to recommend

it to anyone. We were not big fans of john heald. he struck me as a windbag who liked the sound of his own voice and was less than forthright and honest in his info.his act is as old as the hills and much of his so called entertainment would be better suited for the carribean.Less john heald-more not john heald.Also ,we were on deck not 50 feet from the heart attack victim while passing stromboli and he was gone when he hit the deck. they did not save him or keep him alive till they got him on shore. in fact when they took him off the boat he was in a body bag zipped open just to the neck to make it appear he was still alive. More on john heald and anything else if you want. Suggestion-when in venice buy 24 hour vapporretto pass and for cheap gondola write pay 1/2 euro for ride across canal in 2 rower gondola.

If what you state about the heart attack victim is true, then John Heald is a bold faced liar. It would not have been any crime to state that the man had succumbed. In stead he gave all these kudos to the emergency team on board for having saved the man until he reached shore. There was no reason to do this. People do die on ships, in the street and in their beds. Had the man died suddenly, it would be no ill reflection on the medical staff.

That I do resent. Moreover if the man had been declared dead - which the MD on board is certainly legally capable of doing, then there was no need to rush full steam ahead back to that port. The ship DOES have a morgue down below.

Thanks for that info, and thanks for reminding people of the 24 hour Vaporetto pass.

Bill

More misinformation from john heald's well used piehole(sorry, i can't help myself-EVERYTHING was great about the trip except for having to listen to him ad nauseum). when docked in venice it is not 10 minute walk to piazza roma to catch a vaporretta as heald announced. more like 25 minutes thru port and over bridges to piazza roma. john heald couldn"t make that walk in an hour if he had a cream puff dangling in front of him.Maybe it seemed like 10 minutes to him from his taxi(i don't remember taxis available by ship to piazza roma ). Don't get me wrong. My wife and i, two kids(15 and 18) and sister and family are all bikers and runners(and also cheap) and prefer walking all over-it's my "i'm not a fan of john heald" problem.Also,was it necessary to announce the shuttle landed safely?next i expected to hear ben affleck and new baby doing fine.Quick list of ports you can do on your own.1.dubrovnik(45 minute walk over hill to old town). 2. venice. 3.barcelona(2.50 euro rt bus to columbus monument from ship). 4.cannes(great beach day,paninni lunch and walk around gawking at beautiful people and shops in old town). 5.florence(scedule your own transpo,get guide book and accademia reservation time and the city's yours-for about 7hrs MAX).

Those of you with kids just off the Liberty, can you tell me how much the games were in the arcade....yea, yea I know ...with all that great history and scenery who would want to spend time in an arcade?! Nonetheless, my son will have to spend his own money there - so he should know how much to start saving!!

Thank you.

I cannot express in words how fantastic (and funny) your reviews are. I feel like a kid on christmas eve who can't wait to open my gifts! Hubby and I are leaving for Rome on October 8, for cruise on October 12. Working our ***** off in preparation for being gone for 17 days. Hoping weather will be cooler than what you had experienced. This is our first trip to this area, so your input has been extremely valuable. A few questions...probably more to come...when you went to Murano...that wasn't a ship excursion was it? Your sightseeing involved lots of walking...my husband has bad knees but never complains about it..nothing a few Captain Morgan's and Diet Coke won't mask..however, being the loving wife that I am..I am wondering whether you would be able to comment on how much of what you did would be considered tough on the knees? Also...after seeing your pictures...which are beautiful... I noticed that you, like my husband, have a love of food, which, in my husband's case, causes him sweat excessively with over exertion....once again giving me concern reagarding his comfort level during sightseeing any thoughts...other than we both need to lose some weight and exercise more!?!

By the way, I was sorry to read in one of the posts that they did not like John the cruise director...We had the pleasure of having him on the Valor and enjoyed his humor emensely....he "retired" after our cruise and we are very pleased that he is back! As another post stated, to each his own...what one likes another might not. Also my hsband and I do agree that the spa and the top-optional deck are two of the best locations for total relaxation! Thanks again for your reviews and insight!

Hello, I am preparing for Liberty sailing Aug 25. Can you tell me if there are irons in the cabins? Thanks, Melanie

No There are not.

However there is an iron and an ironing board in the self service laundry room and it is free.

B

I cannot express in words how fantastic (and funny) your reviews are. I feel like a kid on christmas eve who can't wait to open my gifts! Hubby and I are leaving for Rome on October 8, for cruise on October 12. Working our ***** off in preparation for being gone for 17 days. Hoping weather will be cooler than what you had experienced.

**please follow my answers in caps and in brackets [ CAPS ]

[ WELL, IF IT'S WARMER THEN WE ARE OUT OF ORBIT AND HEADING FOR THE SUN. :-) ]

This is our first trip to this area, so your input has been extremely valuable.

[ I'M GLAD IT WAS HELPFUL TO YOU. ]

A few questions...probably more to come...when you went to Murano...that wasn't a ship excursion was it?

[ NO, THAT WAS ALL ON OUR OWN, AND IT WAS ONE OF THE MOST MEMORABLE THINGS OF THE ENTIRE CRUISE. TO GET TO MURANO FROM WHERE THE SHIP IS DOCKED, WALK TO THE PIAZZA ROMA WHICH IS A TERMINAL. THERE YOU WILL FIND THE VAPORETTO THAT GOES DIRECTLY TO MURANO. I DON'T RECALL WHAT THE EXACT NUMBER IS BUT THE PERSON AT THE BOOTH WILL TELL YOU. WE LOVE GLASS. ]

Your sightseeing involved lots of walking...my husband has bad knees but never complains about it..nothing a few Captain Morgan's and Diet Coke won't mask..however, being the loving wife that I am..I am wondering whether you would be able to comment on how much of what you did would be considered tough on the knees?

[ WE ARE IN GREAT PHYSICAL CONDITION, AND THE WALKING IN THAT HEAT DID WEAR US DOWN. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO KEEP HYDRATED.

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE ALONG A 1qt SPORTS BOTTLE WITH YOU (IT'S ALSO GOOD FOR SMUGGLING VODKA ON BOARD :-) ). IF YOU NEED TO REFILL IT WHILE WALKING AROUND, BUY BOTTLED WATER, DON'T TRUST THE LOCAL TAP WATER FOR ANYTHING BUT THROWING OVER YOU.

FOR PAIN, TAKE ALONG SOME OVER THE COUNTER OR PRESCRIPTION PAIN KILLERS WHICH ARE BOTH ANALGESIC AND ANTI-INFLAMMATORY (ASPIRIN DOES BOTH). BOTH CAPTAIN MORGAN'S AND COKE WILL CAUSE DEHYDRATION (BECAUSE OF THE ALCOHOL AND THE CAFFEINE).

IF YOU OR YOUR HUSBAND HAVE BAD KNEES OR OTHER PHYSICAL PROBLEMS I'D URGE YOU TO LIMIT YOUR WALKING ESP. IN THE AUGUST MED. HEAT. ]

Also...after seeing your pictures...which are beautiful... I noticed that you, like my husband, have a love of food, which, in my husband's case, causes him sweat excessively with over exertion....once again giving me concern reagarding his comfort level during sightseeing any thoughts...other than we both need to lose some weight and exercise more!?!

[ AS GROUCHO MARX ONCE SAID, "I LOVE MY CIGARS BUT I TAKE THEM OUT OF MY MOUTH ONCE IN A WHILE". OF COURSE, THAT WAS IN A DIFFERENT CONTEXT....]

By the way, I was sorry to read in one of the posts that they did not like John the cruise director...We had the pleasure of having him on the Valor and enjoyed his humor emensely....he "retired" after our cruise and we are very pleased that he is back! As another post stated, to each his own...what one likes another might not.

[ WE THOUGHT HE WAS AMONG THE BEST CDS WE HAD EXPERIENCED, AND FOUND HIM CONGENIAL AND FUNNY. BUT A CHACUN A SON GOUT. ]

Also my hsband and I do agree that the spa and the top-optional deck are two of the best locations for total relaxation! Thanks again for your reviews and insight!

YOUR VERY WELCOME,

BNB

More misinformation from john heald's well used piehole(sorry, i can't help myself-EVERYTHING was great about the trip except for having to listen to him ad nauseum).

***See my replies in caps and in brackets [ CAPS ]

[ THE ONLY TIME JOHN HEALD GOT ON OUR NERVES WAS WHEN HE WAS ON HIS PHONE IN SHOW ON BIG BROTHER. BUT FRANKLY WHAT GOT ON OUR NERVES THE MOST WAS THAT DAMNED MONSTROUS VIDEO SCREEN OVERLOOKING THE LIDO DECK MAIN AREA. I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT 20 SOMETHING MARKETING GENIUS WITH CARNIVAL THOUGHT THAT ONE UP.

WE THINK IT WAS THE ONE THING THAT DETRACTED THE MOST FROM THE CRUISE EXPERIENCE, WE TOLD CARNIVAL SO ON THE SUGGESTION CARDS THEY GAVE OUT TOWARDS THE END OF THE CRUISE, BUT THEY WILL PROBABLY IGNORE THAT.

AS WE WERE TOLD WHEN WE ALSO OBJECTED TO THE STUPID AND LOUD SINGING AND DANCING BY THE WAIT STAFF EVERY SINGLE NIGHT AT DESSERT DURING DINNER, "MOST PEOPLE LIKE IT." I GUESS MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO DETEST IT GO ON ANOTHER CRUISE LINE. WE FOUND IT VERY INTRUSIVE.

WE ACTUALLY THOUGHT JOHN HEALD WAS PRETTY FUNNY AND CONGENIAL AS CDS GO. IF YOU THOUGHT HE WAS TERRIBLE THEN I DON'T THINK YOU'VE BEEN ON TOO MANY CRUISIES, BECAUSE WE'VE FOUND OTHERS WHO WERE INFINITELY MORE OBNOXIOUS.

CARNIVAL PUT HEALD ON THE MAIDEN SEASON FOR LIBERTY PRECISELY BECAUSE HE IS WIDELY CONSIDERED THEIR BEST CD. ]

when docked in venice it is not 10 minute walk to piazza roma to catch a vaporretta as heald announced. more like 25 minutes thru port and over bridges to piazza roma. john heald couldn"t make that walk in an hour if he had a cream puff dangling in front of him.Maybe it seemed like 10 minutes to him from his taxi(i don't remember taxis available by ship to piazza roma ).

[ YES, A LOT OF PEOPLE WERE COMPLAINING ABOUT THAT, AND SHAME ON CARNIVAL FOR SAYING **NOTHING** REGARDING THE TRUE DISTANCE FROM WHERE THE SHIP DOCKED TO THE FIRST VAPORETTO STOP AT PIAZZALE ROMA. WE SAW MANY PEOPLE WHO WERE NOT IN SUCH GOOD SHAPE WHO WERE LITERALLY STARTING TO COLLAPSE FROM THE WALK. ALSO THE WALK ONCE OUTSIDE THE GATED AREA IS A BIT UPHILL AS WELL.

IN THAT HEAT, IT TOOK US ABOUT 15 -20 MINUTES AT A CASUAL PACE TO WALK IT, AND BOBBI KEPT ASKING ME TO SLOW DOWN.

***THERE WERE NO TAXIS AVAILABLE, AND WE FOUND THAT STRANGE***

BUT MY GUESS IS THAT THERE IS NO MONEY FOR THEM IN TAKING PEOPLE FROM THE SHIP TO THE VAPORETTO STOP. MY GUESS IS THAT THEY GO OVER THE CAUSEWAY BACK TO THE MAINLAND FOR A BETTER FARE.

NO WAY JOHN HEALD LUGGED HIS 400 POUNDS FROM THE SHIP ON FOOT ANYWHERE. ]

Don't get me wrong. My wife and i, two kids(15 and 18) and sister and family are all bikers and runners(and also cheap) and prefer walking all over-it's my "i'm not a fan of john heald" problem.Also,was it necessary to announce the shuttle landed safely?

[ ON VACATION, WE HATE GETTING ANYTHING BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT NEWS. THIS WAS ONE OF THE REASONS WE COULDN'T EAT BREAKFAST OUTSIDE ON THE LIDO DECK. EITHER CNN OR BBC WORLD NEWS WAS BLASTING IN THE MORNING OVER BIG BROTHER.

HOWEVER, CONSIDERING THE FACT THAT A PIECE OF THE SHUTTLE HAD FALLEN OFF AGAIN DURING THE TAKEOFF, WE WERE CONCERNED ABOUT THE SAFETY OF THE ASTRONAUTS ON RE-ENTRY, AND WERE ACTUALLY GLAD WHEN HEALD ANNOUNCED IT. I MEAN, THAT ONLY TOOK HIM THREE SECONDS TO DO.

HAD HE ANNOUNCED THAT OUR ESTEEMED PRESIDENT HAD FALLEN ON HIS ASS OFF HIS BIKE, AND HIS BRAINS LEAKED OUT, THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN FAKE NEWS. :-). ]

next i expected to hear ben affleck and new baby doing fine.

[ ARE THEY? ]

Quick list of ports you can do on your own.1.dubrovnik(45 minute walk over hill to old town).

[ NOW THAT'S A GOOD HIKE FOR THOSE NOT IN THE BEST OF SHAPE. THE SHUTTLE BUS WAS 10 e ROUND TRIP, AND THERE WERE TAXIS AVAILABLE FOR A BIT MORE. ]

2. venice. 3.barcelona(2.50 euro rt bus to columbus monument from ship). 4.cannes(great beach day,paninni lunch and walk around gawking at beautiful people and shops in old town). 5.florence(scedule your own transpo,get guide book and accademia reservation time and the city's yours-for about 7hrs MAX).

THE BEST THING TO DO WITH CDS IS IGNORE THEM. THAT'S WHAT WE USUALLY DO. I'M AMAZED AT THE AMOUNT OF FOLKS ON THE SHIP THAT FOLLOW THESE GUYS AROUND FROM ONE ACTIVITY TO ANOTHER LIKE PUPPY DOGS. BUT HEY, IT'S THEIR VACATION.

BILL

Bill-so i see we agree on most everything and i am certainly not trying to compete with you in any way. Your critique of this cruise is probably the best one i"ve read in the last 3 years. I'm only giving my opinion of this cruise so others may enjoy,agree,disagree or benifit from all info and criticism concerning this cruise from someone who's been there.so you know,this is the 6th carnival cruise we've been on and the other one was rccl southern from san juan. we NEVER had a bad cruise even thru the occasional bumps(airline and otherwise). this was ,without a doubt,the best cruise we were ever on. We've been to europe before but with kids(now in late teens) we found cruises were best deal cashwise and everyotherwise the last 8 years.in other words,they have vacation,we have vacation. Last cruise last spring on Victory cd was so bad he was never around or on loudspeaker-he was THE best. Also,you're right.ben affleck baby due in november-just read post gossip column.

Correction!

"John the cruise director...We had the pleasure of having him on the Valor and enjoyed his humor emensely...."

OOOPPPS! It wasn't the Valor it was the Victory....been on so many can't keep them all straight!

I was on the cruise aboard the Liberty also and I find many of your comments interesting. I too enjoyed John the cruise director very much. From the laughs of the audience, I do not think I was the only one who enjoyed him! I have not cruised Carnival before so the material was new to me. Perhaps some of you are "old hat" to Carnival and should try another cruise line since so much seems to be repeats to all of you. In regards to the passenger who supposedly died on board. I would be very leary of making medical assumptions as a bystander. I am married to a Doctor who was on board and I think there is more to the story that you are aware! Please do not call anyone a liar unless you know the whole story. Perhaps John was told to make that statement. Perhaps it was the wishes of the family. enough said.

THE BEST THING TO DO WITH CDS IS IGNORE THEM. THAT'S WHAT WE USUALLY DO. I'M AMAZED AT THE AMOUNT OF FOLKS ON THE SHIP THAT FOLLOW THESE GUYS AROUND FROM ONE ACTIVITY TO ANOTHER LIKE PUPPY DOGS. BUT HEY, IT'S THEIR VACATION.

BILL

as a side note! Many of us appreciated when John made an announcement about the shuttle. We had two rocket scientists on board from Nasa who also appreciated it. It took less than a minute to make that announcement. That was the only news event that was announced that I recall!

Okay, I'm convinced on canceling our Florence/Pisa tour. SO can anyone out there suggest a tour guide or tips for touring FLorence (assuming there is not time for Pisa) on our own?:rolleyes:

When are you going? Have you check your roll call board to see what others might be doing? Also there were some posts in the Europe forum on taxi companies that do roundtrip from the dock to Florence. One company quoted us 300 euros for up to 6 people and the other quoted 340 euros for just 3 people. :eek: Others have suggested using the train back and forth.

We just canceled the Carnival Florence/Pisa tour and booked the Florence On Our Own tour so we can spend more time in Florence and visit the museums and have the transportation back and forth from the ship. Bill's "lessons learned" on the drop off and pick up times is good guidance if you are thinking to do Florence on your own.

some others had taken the train and toured florence on their own, then arranged to get off the train at the pisa stop and get back on after seeing the tower to get back to the ship

i think this would work out well aside from the fact that you might not feel compltely comfortable depending on the train to get you back to the ship on time. (seemed that there was some freak fire on the tracks or something preventing everyone from getting back on the train in pisa because none came! but everyone got taxis back to the ship)

we are thinkin about doing it this way but still havent decided (we have plenty of time till may 31st to decide!)

Okay, I'm convinced on canceling our Florence/Pisa tour. SO can anyone out there suggest a tour guide or tips for touring FLorence (assuming there is not time for Pisa) on our own?:rolleyes:

Bobbi ~

We are taking the train from Livorno to Florence, then stopping in Pisa and back to Livorno. Taxi from the port to the train station is about 15E and r.t. train is about 13E per person. For 2 people is about 56E = approx. $69.00

Mary

I am leaving on the 8/25 sailing of the Liberty. The reviews have been amazing though it is making me second guess some of my excursions.

I am travelling with 2 teenage boys:D

So far I have booked (privately)

Naples--full day tour to do as we please (any must sees?)

Venice--3 hr private tour 2nd morning in port. Any suggestions for the afternoon we arrive and for the balance of the 2nd day. We will certainly see the Jewish Quarter and Murano. Do you suggest that we get the 24hr Vaparetto pass as well? So you remember the cost?

Messina--full day Taormina and Etna

Florence--full day Florence and Pisa

Cannes--my big question. Right now I have a full day of aggressive touring to include all that is beautiful and cultural. I want to be sure my boys experience more than beach and shopping thought I don't want to overdose them on mind-expanding activities either. Help me here please!

So far I have not booked anything for Dubrovnik or Barcelona. Those sound like you can do them on your own. Does Barcelona lend itself to a beach day?

Are there any ports that you can just take it easy and not rush around? I always love the ship when most people 'clear out' though I would hate to miss anything!

No one has really mentioned anything about shopping. Is there anything worth shopping or looking for? Are there any great values anywhere?

Any input would be helpful. I have about 24hrs to finalize my plans.

Lastly, I have thoroughly enjoyed your installments.

Two unanswered questions( You covered them all, Bill)

1) On which decks are the washer/dryers?

2) In How many cities can I get away with wearing shorts( I am the DH)?Dw is always the proper lady!

We are set for 9/6 sailing. Thanks for your great reviews

Sy

Two unanswered questions( You covered them all, Bill)

1) On which decks are the washer/dryers?

2) In How many cities can I get away with wearing shorts( I am the DH)?Dw is always the proper lady!

We are set for 9/6 sailing. Thanks for your great reviews

Sy

1) Each of the main passenger decks have self service laundry rooms

2) All of them. Even for houses of worship, men in shorts are OK (not short shorts, walking shorts) but not tank tops. If you are planning on going into a house of worship your shoulders need to be covered ( T-shirt, buttoned short sleeve shirt, short sleeve polo shirt). Also remember to take off your ball cap, or hat when entering a church. If going into a synagogue you keep your hat on or take a yarmulkah (Heb: Kipah) from the bin at the entrance to the sanctuary.

We went into churches in Dubrovnik, Venice, Taormina, Barcelona and Florence.

We went into synagogues in Dubrovnik, Venice (3,all in the old Ghetto) and Florence.

Bill

Archived