Dengue Fever and Chikungunya (Spread by Mosquitoes)

Quampapetet

I haven't seen this mentioned on this PR board yet, so just wanted to remind everyone to apply bug spray containing DEET while in the Caribbean. including PR!

CDC warning about Chikungunya in PR and other Caribbean countries: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-caribbean

A PR info. site saying that PR officials also warn about Dengue Fever: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/dengue-puerto-rico/

The CDC site has good tips on how to protect yourself from mosquito bites. Be cautious, but don't let it stop you from having fun!

Edited by Quampapetet

I haven't seen this mentioned on this PR board yet, so just wanted to remind everyone to apply bug spray containing DEET while in the Caribbean. including PR!

CDC warning about Chikungunya in PR and other Caribbean countries: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-caribbean

A PR info. site saying that PR officials also warn about Dengue Fever: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/dengue-puerto-rico/

The CDC site has good tips on how to protect yourself from mosquito bites. Be cautious, but don't let it stop you from having fun!

HI

I think we were on the Victory with you in 2011.

Good advice, we haven't seen many skeetos in the Caribbean, but it depends on when and where you go. They are nasty little guys who spread a lot of stuff.

HI

I think we were on the Victory with you in 2011.

Good advice, we haven't seen many skeetos in the Caribbean, but it depends on when and where you go. They are nasty little guys who spread a lot of stuff.

Yes, I think I remember your username from the roll call thread for that cruise around Valentine's Day! That cruise was my favorite itinerary of the three cruises I've done. ❤️

I go on land trips to the Bahamas every year and have gotten bitten, sometimes quite a bit, there before. (The CDC warning covers the Bahamas and many other Caribbean countries.) Mosquitoes love me for some reason, as many times I will be the only one/one of the only ones in the group who gets bitten! :mad:

Wear a repellent with Deet and don't worry about the mosquitos very much. I believe I heard there were some of those Dengue carrying buggers in Florida and perhaps I might have heard also in New England this summer. Avoid standing water and remember mosquitos mostly come out at dusk. Many ships will have left already though some have late sailaway from this really great port. Living is a risk. There is no way to go through life avoiding all risk. The risk here is low.

Yes, I think I remember your username from the roll call thread for that cruise around Valentine's Day! That cruise was my favorite itinerary of the three cruises I've done. ❤️

I go on land trips to the Bahamas every year and have gotten bitten, sometimes quite a bit, there before. (The CDC warning covers the Bahamas and many other Caribbean countries.) Mosquitoes love me for some reason, as many times I will be the only one/one of the only ones in the group who gets bitten! :mad:

Yeah, that was a great itinereary, we actually did it twice! This cruise we are doing a B2B out of Miami!

You can get Maxi Deet, which is 98%deet, at WalMart for about $6. You need repellent with at least 93% Deet for this type of mosquito.

I went to Walgreens the other day and the highest they had was 75% DEET, so that's what I got. We don't have a Walmart nearby us.

Got off the plane in San Juan today and while waiting at the rental car place (at the airport), realized why my hand was itchy: I'd already been bitten! :rolleyes: Haven't gotten another bite yet, but only went out again for a few minutes tonight, as I'm sick so need to rest. (Last time I was here, I got sick, too, go figure! I got sick on the cruise, catching it from someone in the group I was with who brought it onboard. My fever isn't nearly as bad as that time, though! On the cruise one day, I had to turn the a/c completely off and be under all the bed covers just to not shiver! I am just mostly annoyed by the stuffy nose, drippy nose, and funny-feeling throat this time. Caught it from a couple family members who had it all week.)

Anyway, I definitely have to remember to spray on the repellant tomorrow!

Here is the link to a thread on the RCCL forum about this subject.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2056587&page=4

Post 64 is very interesting regarding using sun screen and insect repellent with a high DEET content!

Adam

Thanks! I was wondering the other day if you can wear both sunscreen and bug spray and, if so, which goes on first. I'll check out that post!

• 3 weeks later...
Wear a repellent with Deet and don't worry about the mosquitos very much. I believe I heard there were some of those Dengue carrying buggers in Florida and perhaps I might have heard also in New England this summer. Avoid standing water and remember mosquitos mostly come out at dusk. Many ships will have left already though some have late sailaway from this really great port. Living is a risk. There is no way to go through life avoiding all risk. The risk here is low.

Actually, the type of mosquitoes that carry Chikungunya are daytime mosquitoes, so you are at risk at all times of the day. They can breed in just a tablespoon of standing water, too.

Chikungunya is now in the US, including Florida, Texas, New York, and California. It is believed to be the result of people who traveled to the Caribbean bringing the disease back to the States. Fun, fun. :p