shopping in Alaska

MrsMoose2001

Ok, with all the talk of shopping, anyone been to Alaska and want to tell me how the shopping is?

Anyone see any "eskimo fur parkas"? Alaskan gold nugget jewelry? gold in quartz? anything worth buying?

MrsMoose

(when the going gets tough the tough go shopping)

There is plenty of shopping in several of the port stops, too much IMO. Most of what you can find there, you can find on the internet. Spend your time out of town, enjoying the scenery, taking wonderful excursions. Maybe take a few minutes one day to shop, all the ports have the same type of shops.

I did buy some local artist prints and stacking Russian dolls in Sitka.

Beleive me, Alaska is too beautiful and your time there too short to be shopping!

Have a wonderful cruise, you will love it!

Hi, I have a bunch of excursions booked one or 2 for each place. I'm allowing for about an hour of shopping in each port.

I'm not going for the shopping, but I do enjoy retail therapy so I figure I could get in about an hour in each port.

I want those "nesting dolls" that you got in Sitka as well. Thanks for the tip.

Okay, you've got the perfect plan! I'm glad to hear you are stopping in Sitka, it was so pretty there. Quite a bit smaller and a little less touristy than Juneau or (horrors) Ketchikan. It was, by far, our favorite town to see.

Ok, with all the talk of shopping, anyone been to Alaska and want to tell me how the shopping is?

Anyone see any "eskimo fur parkas"? Alaskan gold nugget jewelry? gold in quartz? anything worth buying?

MrsMoose

(when the going gets tough the tough go shopping)

David Green and Alaska Fur Gallery have Eskimo fur parkas. Both have stores in Ketchikan. Not cheap. Some furs are also endangered, although I believe the native Alaskans can trap and sell endangered. There was an absolutely georgous wolf parka in Anchorage at their store last August. $3900.00. In fact, you can buy them in NYC cheaper than in Alaska. And hardly any sales. They also have stores in Aspen, Telluride, Vail and Killington, so at the end of the Alaska tourist season, they just ship the merchandise to the ski areas.

Hi, thank you. I wonder if those fur parkas are what I'm thinking of, with the "band trimming" or if it's just a fur jacket with a hood which I can get here no problem. I want something unique that can't be bought in NYC or here (we have a lot of fur in Montreal).

thanks for the tip, most appreciated. I might go for a pair of those Mucklucks, if they are different than ours for our ski trips.

Caviar? I love caviar? they do tell where do you get the caviar? Oooooo caviar...

thank you

I adore caviar - hence my handle!

Ketchikan has some small shops that sell it. Because it is closer to Russia it is a good deal in Alaska and also in BC. I tend to go off the beaten path a bit to find it and will see if I can find any cards or info that I kept.

No matter how much I buy to "bring home" it simply never makes it! Out of the jar with a spoon works for me.

Lynne and Kennedy in Skagway has a marvelous collection of the Alaskan quartz with gold leaf embedded. They have a watchband that I wish I'd purchased. Gorgeous. Their salespeople are very laid-back. No pressure, just good information and a warm smile.

I had a blast shopping in Skagway. The T-shirt Company has every souvenir under the sun.

Wish I were going again! Have a great trip.

mrsraggy

Hi, thank you. I wonder if those fur parkas are what I'm thinking of, with the "band trimming" or if it's just a fur jacket with a hood which I can get here no problem. I want something unique that can't be bought in NYC or here (we have a lot of fur in Montreal).

thanks for the tip, most appreciated. I might go for a pair of those Mucklucks, if they are different than ours for our ski trips.

Yes, the wolf parka in Anchorage had the banding and was what we think of as "true Alaska".

Oh I've got to see that, that's it, thank you. I think the store you mentioned has shops in every port. I won't be in Anchorage, but I think I saw that name in the tourist book that I got from the ports I will be in.

Not sure I would want "wolf", but maybe he will have other furs. - thank you

Archived