Post Cruise Review - Oasis of the Seas - Eastern Med Mini - 13/9/14

To continue from my thread from earlier today. Today was my first "Live" experience of Drew the Cruise Director and his Activities Manager (who was there for those who only spoke Spanish). We had a small demo from the Oasis of Dreams team. After the Top tier event I took the opportunity to book an appointment with the Future Cruise Team and booked my trip on the Anthem of the Seas in April 2016 in the Southern Caribbean for 12 nights. Will I regret doing this when the ship hasn't sailed yet?

Some shots from the Oasis of Dreams event.

15315902931_51c2b10014_z.jpg

15132356670_c1446be155_z.jpg

15132462658_3a4dc031c8_z.jpg

15315888931_54188f39ef_z.jpg

15295861356_e8d507483f_z.jpg

15132349477_462e06145a_z.jpg

Sadly there were a few people who arrived late to the program that spoilt the view, also there was a live feed onto the screen on some of the scenes. I wished I had sat forward a bit more. Maybe on my next trip on the Oasis? Day 3 to follow.

We enjoyed the water show from one of the secret balconies on the 12 floor at the aft. Which I understand from some of the comments will be soon disappearing and becoming more cabins.

We enjoyed the water show from one of the secret balconies on the 12 floor at the aft. Which I understand from some of the comments will be soon disappearing and becoming more cabins.

I believe the secret balconies will be disappearing. I guess the proof is in the seeing once the dry dock has completed. There will be some changes to the Dining room, the food restaurant on Boardwalk plus a few other things.

Day 3.

Today I was supposed to do the "Exclusive Rome Tour" via RCCL. Sadly I had to cancel this tour and did the Olive Oil Tour.

I woke up early to see the sunrise. Sadly there was some cloud cover that prevented me from seeing the perfect sunrise. Well, it's not going to be as good as the Caribbean, but a Sunrise is a Sunrise is a Sunrise.

15296002126_3cf0a70b6a_z.jpg

I took a walk to the shop from the ship. I didn't realise how long the walk would be until I did it. To be honest, I wish I hadn't done it now.

15132290959_eaafd4d68d_z.jpg

Back on the ship I went and I had some lunch before my excursion to the Olive Oil tasting was due.

I saw some Italian journalists near Park Café.

15132329760_6595cf6568_z.jpg

It almost seems they were not pleased to be there. :o

So onto the trip to the Olive Oil tasting experience.

15315856691_c39e956507_z.jpg

My highlight of the trip was to see this Kitten / Cat.

15132463607_8f00b10fc3_z.jpg

We went onto a walking tour of a historical town shortly after. Nothing spectacular to post about the walking tour, but some images can be found on my social media page if interested. If you are looking to do the Olive Oil tour (CV25), I would suggest doing the morning trip if you can.

To finish of Day 3. I went to the Comedy Night. I must admit the English (British) Comedians were funny, but a lot of the jokes were recycled ones that could be found on the internet.

Day 4.

Naples port. Today I went to Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii. I wasn't sure about attempting this, but wanted a whistle stop tour to give me an idea on whether I should go back and revisit independently. I must admit, I will come back and visit these places again.

15132301180_7944a4d8cc_z.jpg

15132409148_1644865c53_z.jpg

15318992595_33ed635dd1_z.jpg

15132444147_70cb4ebdf8_z.jpg

15318642202_b94a8b7bcc_z.jpg

15132430777_d0bb6fb8f4_z.jpg

Some images from Pompeii

15132231699_f70e61279f_z.jpg

15318634352_5f8e068d30_z.jpg

15315757911_487def211f_z.jpg

Overall, the experience was good. It's a shame we didn't have enough time to explore the various locations. My main complaint about the commentary was the radio system that was used. I would have preferred the audio to be in Stereo rather than Mono. Also in parts of Pompeii, there was some interference from the radio which made it difficult to hear the commentary.

Thanks for the comments.

Sadly, I didn't give him much of a chance to change my opinion of him. Maybe when I go on the Oasis in the Caribbean (sometime in the future), I'll give him another chance (if he is still around). For me Ken Rush is still my favourite Cruise Director on the Oasis class ship. Based on what I have read on various threads, it looks like I am glad I didn't get Amy, as I don't need to be told a lie, I ain't that awesome!!! :o

Drew is not too bad.

Some images from Pompeii

15132231699_f70e61279f_z.jpg

15318634352_5f8e068d30_z.jpg

15315757911_487def211f_z.jpg

Overall, the experience was good. It's a shame we didn't have enough time to explore the various locations. My main complaint about the commentary was the radio system that was used. I would have preferred the audio to be in Stereo rather than Mono. Also in parts of Pompeii, there was some interference from the radio which made it difficult to hear the commentary.

very nice photos of the area. Others have mentioned the same.

I believe the secret balconies will be disappearing. I guess the proof is in the seeing once the dry dock has completed. There will be some changes to the Dining room, the food restaurant on Boardwalk plus a few other things.

I have heard the same and on the CC message boards there is talk of that happening. All in the name of profits.

I have heard the same and on the CC message boards there is talk of that happening. All in the name of profits.

The Oasis class is popular, so I don't blame them for squeezing a bit more out of the ship. My only concern is the issue with the potential issue of evacuation. Will they have enough lifeboats?

Day 5

I can't believe the cruise is coming to an end already. :mad: I took the opportunity to get some grab shots, but spent most of the day relaxing and finishing off my packing more than anything else.

15132214529_bd61428c78_z.jpg

15318943155_24763582be_z.jpg

15132344318_7737f6594a_z.jpg

I went to the Captains Corner and Capt Trym Selvag was the only person on stage.

15315764571_682fd69c8e_z.jpg

Going on the Friends theme... Does he have a bit of Chandler in his face? OMG, Friends does Oasis!!!

My last image for the review:

15315759261_4eb2fc42e1_z.jpg

My summary of what I think of the cruise will come shortly. Any questions?

Day 2. Sea Day.

15315917911_4ffbb67384_z.jpg

I don't know how to read into this. Does this mean the Oasis of the Seas needs some Graffiti? :o

More to follow.

Did you know that Oasis and Allure were referred to as Genesis ships when they were being built? Before they were actually named, I mean. If you look at the graffiti, it says Genesis.

In Turku, people are still talking about the genesis project.

Did you know that Oasis and Allure were referred to as Genesis ships when they were being built? Before they were actually named, I mean. If you look at the graffiti, it says Genesis.

In Turku, people are still talking about the genesis project.

I vaguely remember reading something about that a while ago. It didn't click until after I saw the artwork on the ship.

In summary, my time in Barcelona and the Oasis of the Seas was worthwhile. It's a shame that I wasn't able to do the whole day Rome tour, but it is something I can do another time and on my own. 5 days on the Oasis is sadly too short. It needs an extra 2 days to make the experience worthwhile as I didn't really want to do all the entertainment every night of the week, especially as I wanted to be up early the next morning.

A couple of niggles is the lack of punch from the Cruise Director. I felt that the CD was more suited to the American / Canadian Market rather than the European Market. Also, on embarkation day, the entertainment stand was poorly manned (i.e. one person who could only speak English dealing with all customers).

Also would have been nice if I were allocated a table at the beginning of the cruise rather than when I arrived at the Dinning Room.

There were no major hiccups on the cruise other than the issue with docking at Naples (from what I understood). I can't remember the exact details as I wasn't on Deck 15 on the day when the issue occurred.

The cruise staff should have alerted the passengers when they disembarked at Rome that a shuttle service was available (yes I am one of those people who didn't read the Compass properly) and should have alerted them to them (or at least signposted where they were).

I know Naples and Rome were close together, but I wished there was a clear Sea day between the 2 ports in order to allow people to enjoy the ship a little bit more.

Maybe the cruise should have started from Southampton, gone to Barcelona, then Rome, Naples and then finished in Barcelona and then done a reverse route (or vice versa).

Day 1 Embarkation was smooth and effortless, and Disembarkation was just as smooth, if not better than my experience on the Allure whilst in Fort Lauderdale.

I can't really add much more comments other than what I have expressed in this thread and in my unfinished live review. I didn't do all the entertainment I wanted to do to avoid burning myself out, but if I get the opportunity to sail on the Oasis again in the future (from Fort Lauderdale), I will endeavour to do all the show.

I didn't get the Wow factor from the cruise and the staff, but I didn't get a bad service either. I gave 40 euros to the Stateroom Attendant as a thank you, even though I wasn't really obliged to do so. The Dinning Room staff was a little mechanical for my liking and the Restaurant Manager (or whatever you call her) didn't speak to me until her final visit to the table, but felt somewhat mechanical more than anything else. Her favourites on the table was the B2B2B2B2B2B (don't know if I have missed one there) passengers on the table.

Any questions? Please do let me know, as I may have missed something.