Stockholm-Royal armoury

Kurt,

We ended up going to the Armoury late in the afternoon and did not have a lot of time. The basement has all the gilded carriages and they are definitely worth seeing. You can even phototgraph them! The main floor is the body armour and weapons and it looked like it would be very interesting. We skipped it since we were just at the Tower of London and saw tons of armoury. The second floor is the history, the dresses and belongings of all the queens/princesses, etc. Nice displays with photos. Great place for little girls - they have cabinets of fancy dresses and crowns that little girls can put on.

Could take an hour or less. Definitely worth a stop!

Ginny

Following is a link to the Royal Armory, the English one

http://www.lsh.se/livrustkammaren/Thehela.htm

I absolutely LOVE this museum. It contains very intresting garments and weapons etc from the Swedish history, including the garments that king Gustavus Adolful (Gustav II Adolf) wore when he was killed in Lutzen during the 30 year war (between Protestants and Catholics) in 1632. That is the same kin g who comissioned the Wasa ship to be built (and sank on its maiden voyage in 1628).

Get the audio guide. That probably costs a little bit of money, but definitely worth it. I spend a few hours there every time I go to Stockholm. It's my favorite museum.

They have all the coronation outfits and carriages and weapons, and some crowns etc. It is the real cellar under the castle in Gamla stan.

Archived