Divina balconies on 8th floor

joyce&bob

I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread. I recently booked cabin 8137 not knowing of it having a restricted view.

Can anyone suggest a cabin with a balcony on the lower levels that are midship and don't have a restricted view. Thanks!!

These are the cabins that are available:

Non of them could be described as midships

So:-

The best one by far is 8230 as it is the only standad type cabin with unrestricted views but it is farthest away from the midships.The rest are within a recess and behind lifeboats

8224 is a very large corner balcony (124 sq ft) and 8222;8227 have balconies of ~ 90 sq ft. all three have lifeboats limiting thier views

the other deck 8 cabins will have limited views (reduced fields of vision) and be behind a lifeboat the top of which is level with the top of the balcony.

the deck 9 cabins are all in the reccess at the rear of the ship and will have limited views as well as looking down on to a life boat

If you want a standard size balcony cabin and compromise on views choose a deck 9 cabin

The deck 10 cabins are all of the smaller balcony type, and have unrsrticted views, which are 148 sq ft ( 124 living area; 24 Bathroom) and a 34 sq ft balcony. The standard balconies are 192 sq ft (168 living. 24 bath) and a balcony of 42 sq ft.

This is the order of the cabins with relation to being close to the midships

10199/10184

10188/10203

10201/10192

10196//10211

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Thanks so much for the information!!

If you had to choose from the available cabins, which would you pick??

I'm wanting a balcony cabin that is as close to midship as possible due to being prone to motion sickness. This will be my first cruise.

Edited by JRN77
info

Thanks so much for the information!!

If you had to choose from the available cabins, which would you pick??

I'm wanting a balcony cabin that is as close to midship as possible due to being prone to motion sickness. This will be my first cruise.

Personally I would choose 8230 becuase it is the standard size aand unrestricted views and deck 8 will have less motion than deck 10 at the same point along the ship, so you can be further back on deck 8 than 10 and get less movement, you get more movement as you move along the ship from the centre and in addition as you go up the decks because the higher the deck the more movement.

Pete

It wouldn't let me edit, I put 8124 by accident.

So the possible other room choices are 8093,8098, and 8111.

This is what their balconies will look like not thhe best view in the world.

4_zps8c88fd54.jpg

THe lower decks don't get a lot of movement as compared with the upper levels and the ships are very well stabilized and being large helps give less movement.

Coupled with medications , eg Sturgeron, or scopolamine patches I would go for the cabin i suggested earlier 8230, for the best experience foryour first cruise heed Americanbears words that he had no movement in a cabin tpwards the stern

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Skier52, thank you so much for your help. Sorry for the endless questions. I just want to make my first experience a good one. I will go for 8230 and hope that there isn't a lot of movement. Although, it is near an elevator. Ugh!! lol:D

Oh, where do you find the pictures of the balconies that you are posting?

Edited by JRN77
add

Skier52, thank you so much for your help. Sorry for the endless questions. I just want to make my first experience a good one. I will go for 8230 and hope that there isn't a lot of movement. Although, it is near an elevator. Ugh!! lol:D

Oh, where do you find the pictures of the balconies that you are posting?

Being near a lift isn't always bad, the lift you are near is convenient for the MDRs and as you are near the stern there are not too many cabins beyond your cabin so footfall should not be too heavy. you can get a lot of noise just because there are inconsiderate guests in the cabn next door.

Many of the balcony photos I took myself , others came from "Cruisetreails" pulled thread. I copied them when they locked the thread , as I thought they would be very useful, before they duly pulled it. AS I know the source I can assign them accurately and not just guess at their location.

A couple of others I have copied from other reviews. I try to give acknowledgements to the original poster of the image.

Pete

Pete, 8230 isn't available now. I'm looking at cabins 8111 and 8214. Can you tell if 8111 is midship or would it be considered front? Thanks!!

8111 is midships , BUT it has a connecting door to 8109 so may have a noise problem, but it is a better position than 8214 Both will still have the lifeboat problem. I would choose 8111 over 8214

Sorry you missed out on 8230 it was far and away the best on offer

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Would you consider room 8230 an aft cabin and is it over the stern? Also will more movement be felt in 8230 as opposed to 8111? Thanks!

Yes it is an aft cabin but not over the stern, they have superb big balconies on some of the decks, but alll things considered if there is some movement , asuming poor weatherm there will be movement in all parts of the ship, just different amounts.

tHis depends on a place in the ship called the METACENTRE, which is above the gentre of gravity and about which the ship rolls. This is usually around deck 5 or 6. So deck 8 is one the least afftected decks as compared to deck 15 and 16

Here is a diagram showing the metacentre M above the water linemetacntre2.jpg

The other main motion is pitch which is the rocking motion from front to aft and is felt most at the bow and stern

A Big point to remember is the Yacht Club is on deck 15 and 16 right at the bow and that is where the most expensive cabins are, and having personally been and cruised in the YC of Divina, I felt virtually no movement. and we had force 5 - 6 winds on occassions.

If there is undue movement reception give out seasickness tablets free of charge on most MSC ships.

You haven't said where and when you sail as you may be in an area where the weather at your time of sailing is unlikely to create any movemnet problems.

So celebrate a good catch on the cabin front and start looking forward to what I'm sure will be memorable holiday , with perhaps many more to come

Finally here is where your cabin is

8230.jpg

Enjoy the anticipation of the cruise to come and the adventures you will have and look forward to the new sights an cities you'll visit.

Feel free to ask any other questions you want, I'll help if i can, and I'm sure somebody will have a great answer for you.

Pete

Would you consider room 8230 an aft cabin and is it over the stern? Also will more movement be felt in 8230 as opposed to 8111? Thanks!

It is an aft section cabin but not a stern cabin.

If you get any movement , and that is not a certainty, depending on the weather where you go. You haven't given a cruise area and season or month for people to hazard a guess at the likely conditions.

The two main movements that affect the cabins are roll(side to side) and pitch (up and down, front to aft),

A ship rolls about its METACENTRE, which is above the waterline and usually at about the level of deck 5 or 6 on a ship as large as Divina, so deck 8 will have less rolling movenent than deck 15 or 16 . Remember the most expensive cabins, the YC, (which i have cruised in and felt very little movement) are on decks 15 and 16 at the bow which will suffer most from movement of any cabins on the ship, and they like to keep those guess especially happy. The ship has excellent stabilising fins which help prevent excessive movement.

here is a diagram of the metacentre, M, on the image

metacntre2.jpg

so although 8230 will have more movement then 8111 ,only in the pitching action and not the rolling action, it probably won't be very much more.

In the cases of inclement weather I've been in on MSC ships they have seasickness tablets available at reception for free.

So congratulations on a great catch for your cabin and enjoy the anticipation of the exciting holiday you're going to have with unspoil views of the ocean.

hEre is where your cabin is

8230.jpg

If you have nay other questions feel free to ask and I or other members willl probably have the answers for you

Pete

pS

I just know you'll have a fantastic cruise as you made a flying start by asking fellow cruisers

Edited by Skier52

• 1 month later...
It is an aft section cabin but not a stern cabin.

If you get any movement , and that is not a certainty, depending on the weather where you go. You haven't given a cruise area and season or month for people to hazard a guess at the likely conditions.

The two main movements that affect the cabins are roll(side to side) and pitch (up and down, front to aft),

A ship rolls about its METACENTRE, which is above the waterline and usually at about the level of deck 5 or 6 on a ship as large as Divina, so deck 8 will have less rolling movenent than deck 15 or 16 . Remember the most expensive cabins, the YC, (which i have cruised in and felt very little movement) are on decks 15 and 16 at the bow which will suffer most from movement of any cabins on the ship, and they like to keep those guess especially happy. The ship has excellent stabilising fins which help prevent excessive movement.

here is a diagram of the metacentre, M, on the image

metacntre2.jpg

so although 8230 will have more movement then 8111 ,only in the pitching action and not the rolling action, it probably won't be very much more.

In the cases of inclement weather I've been in on MSC ships they have seasickness tablets available at reception for free.

So congratulations on a great catch for your cabin and enjoy the anticipation of the exciting holiday you're going to have with unspoil views of the ocean.

hEre is where your cabin is

8230.jpg

If you have nay other questions feel free to ask and I or other members willl probably have the answers for you

Pete

pS

I just know you'll have a fantastic cruise as you made a flying start by asking fellow cruisers

Can you hear the lounge underneath room 8230?

Wow, I was able to get 8230 afterall!!! I'm just reallllly hoping there isn't a lot of motion since it is in the very back.

Did you stay in room 8230? if so how was it? We have this room and I am wondering about noise from the floor below? Also are you able to use the elevator by the room or is that a staff only elevator?

Can you hear the lounge underneath room 8230?

We have this room and I am wondering about noise from the floor below? Also are you able to use the elevator by the room or is that a staff only elevator?

8230 isn't actually above the lounge but is above the lift lobby/ lounge entrance area . So if there is any noise it is likely to be less than other cabins nearer the stern than 8230 on deck 8.

The quieter areas of deck 7 ( the shps and dining rooms) are underneath the cabins with the limited views caused by the lifeboats.

So it's the choice of nice balcony with POSSIBLE noise , or DEFINITE limited views and less noise.

I know which I would choose.

The lift nearby is for guests

Pete

Edited by Skier52