Divina balconies on 8th floor

joyce&bob

8230 isn't actually above the lounge but is above the lift lobby/ lounge entrance area . So if there is any noise it is likely to be less than other cabins nearer the stern than 8230 on deck 8.

The quieter areas of deck 7 ( the shps and dining rooms) are underneath the cabins with the limited views caused by the lifeboats.

So it's the choice of nice balcony with POSSIBLE noise , or DEFINITE limited views and less noise.

I know which I would choose.

The lift nearby is for guests

Pete

Thank you very much for the information. Its greatly appreciated.

We are thinking of a Divina cruise soon since the ship docks here in Miami and is very convenient for us. I hardly ever feel motion on a ship. They sail slow enough during the day for people to easily walk around and only pick up speed at night when most people are in bed. I love the gentle sway of the ship as I lay in bed - puts me right to sleep! And it is a very gentle sway, not enough to notice even if you get up in the middle of the night. With ships being built with stabilizers nowadays, I wouldn't worry too much about motion. You get a lot more motion in a moving car. The only time I noticed motion were once on NCL's Norway, just after a hurricane and once on a HAL ship going through the Straits of Messina off Italy on a very windy day. Two out of 28 cruises isn't too bad. We always choose a balcony cabin as high up on the ship as possible and forward and on the starboard side (no reason for that....just because).

Just think of all the relaxation and yummy food to try and you won't be worried about motion or lifeboats or 'in hull' balconies. We've had them all but thoroughly enjoy every cruise we've been on.

Edited by Diver2014

Thank you very much for the information. Its greatly appreciated.

We stayed in 8231 on the port side, very good cabin, no noise, elevators close to go up to buffet, or down to dinner! Its a walk to the shows at the front, but we needed the exercise after dinner!:D

• 10 months later...

Skier52. after reading all your detailed (and appreciated) posts on room choice. Am I to understand basically any balcony cabin on MSC splendida deck 8 is essentially the lowest category and will have a lifeboat to look at? Booking 7 night northern europe cruise in september 2016: rooms available- 8090 8134 8137 8144 8194 additional cost-10144 10145 10153 10154 Absolutely no indication of any partial obstruction when shopping booking through msc or travelocity.

Skier52. after reading all your detailed (and appreciated) posts on room choice. Am I to understand basically any balcony cabin on MSC splendida deck 8 is essentially the lowest category and will have a lifeboat to look at? Booking 7 night northern europe cruise in september 2016: rooms available- 8090 8134 8137 8144 8194 additional cost-10144 10145 10153 10154 Absolutely no indication of any partial obstruction when shopping booking through msc or travelocity.

No they don't all look at lifeboats or have steel "in-hull" balconies. All the balconies on the rear hump , except the two rearmost cabins which have "in-hull" balconies, are fine. these are 8208 to 8236 on the starboard side and8211 to 8241 on the port side ( this info relates to Splendida).

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I've just reread your post and noticed the cabin numbers you quote. and the cabins 8090, 8137, 8144 and 8194 will have lifeboats to look at,

In my original answer I addressed the question.

"Am I to understand That basically any balcony cabin on MSC Splendida deck 8 .......................... lifeboat to look at?

and stopped when I got to the question mark failing to read on further, which is why I gave the answer I did.

On rereading the answer it looks as though I give the impression that the cabin numbers you list won't have lifeboats in front. I have now corrected this impression and apologise for not looking at the whole question in the first place (lesson learned here. read the whole post before launching into an answer) which I have now answered correctly

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Ok I see, that makes sense when compared to the deck plan I am looking at. Since only rooms: 8090 8134 8137 8144 8194 are available it sounds like there are only partially obstructed options at this point? I suppose we should look into rooms: 10144 10145 10153 10154 at additional cost to avoid disappointment. Which room would you suggest on deck 10 of the four listed options?

Ok I see, that makes sense when compared to the deck plan I am looking at. Since only rooms: 8090 8134 8137 8144 8194 are available it sounds like there are only partially obstructed options at this point? I suppose we should look into rooms: 10144 10145 10153 10154 at additional cost to avoid disappointment. Which room would you suggest on deck 10 of the four listed options?

I would first check if there are any sea days and then choose a cabin which faces the sun on the sea day. Port side if sailing east to west , starboard if sailing wets to east. N to S and S to N will get sun either in the morning or afternoon.

Next I would chose 10145 as it is an H cabin so much larger with a larger balcony. but it will have adaptions you may not like and you could be moved out if a special needs person requires it, People I\'ve sailed with who had one loved the extra space.

I assume you have no special needs.

10144 and 10154 would be my next choices, bearing in mind the sea days

finally i'd give 10153 a miss as it is too near the hump wall and as a consequence has a limited field of view.

You have spent so much time answering others' cabin queries, for which I thank you.

What info do you have on the Divina balcony cabin 12062?

Thanks

Jewels

It's a standard cabin of 192 sq ft with a balcony of 42 sq ft good views all round and as it has cabins above, below and either side no real noise issues . it's close to the lifts which may have inconsiderate guests causing a little noise but it is convenient for going down to the theatre.

No deck 14 overhang issues

As it is in the front hump it will be a reasonable hike to the MDR

All in all a desirable location.

some may worry about excess movement as it is a high deck and in a forward location, but that's never been troublesome for me personally and, there has to be bad weather on your cruise at the time to get the movement. Don't forget movement will affect any and every part of the ship. it's just a matter of what you say is excessive and whether you are personally prone to its effects or not.

pete.

Edited by Skier52

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Missed out on 10145, but at your useful advice decided to upgrade from deck 8 balconys with lifeboat view and ended up booked in 11160 balcony. Thanks again for detailed info, we are looking forward to our sailing on MSC Splendida.

Edited by cruisefanatic503

No they don't all look at lifeboats or have steel "in-hull" balconies. All the balconies on the rear hump , except the two rearmost cabins which have "in-hull" balconies, are fine. these are 8208 to 8236 on the starboard side and8211 to 8241 on the port side ( this info relates to Splendida).

Pete

Hi Pete -- thanks for all the great work on these forums.

I'm trying to figure out where the full plexi cabins start on floors 8-13 on Preziosa (which I assume is the same as Divina) in the stern. I tried counting using pictures, but it's unclear to me where the staircase starts, and it looks as though the metal hull tapers as you get higher from decks 8-11.

Anyway, are you able to say which are the first safe full plexi cabins on each floor in the stern? I'll give my guesses but wonder if you can confirm:

8: 8250/8255 and forward are safe.

9: 9251/9252 and forward are safe.

10: Can't really tell, but am guessing 10259/10242 and forward.

11-13: All but the back two are safe on each side.

Hi Pete -- thanks for all the great work on these forums.

I'm trying to figure out where the full plexi cabins start on floors 8-13 on Preziosa (which I assume is the same as Divina) in the stern. I tried counting using pictures, but it's unclear to me where the staircase starts, and it looks as though the metal hull tapers as you get higher from decks 8-11.

Anyway, are you able to say which are the first safe full plexi cabins on each floor in the stern? I'll give my guesses but wonder if you can confirm:

8: 8250/8255 and forward are safe.Correct

9: 9251/9252 and forward are safe.I would say 9255/9256

10: Can't really tell, but am guessing 10259/10242 and forward.

11-13: All but the back two are safe on each side.

Here is a picture showing how to do it.

you don't have to match up the two windows(not tabs) as I have done,

So you find some reference points, I like to use the bulkheads, joined by red arrows in my picture, or the hump walls.(joined by the right hand red arrow) The bulkheads are the white lines between the cabins on the deck plan and the white metalwork that goes through all the decks on the photo.

Then you can count cabins.

In my image I've sized the two windows to be exactly the same sizes

So for deck 8 the three last cabins have metal/part metal balconies(8254/8258/8262 + on the other side 8259/8263/8267) giving 8250(starboard) as the first "safe cabin" and 8255 (port)

first safe cabins

deck 8:- 8250/8255

deck 9:- 9256/9255

deck 10:- 10246/10263

decks 11/12/13 all cabins are safe

couinting%20cabins.jpg

Pete

Here is a picture showing how to do it.

you don't have to match up the two windows(not tabs) as I have done,

So you find some reference points, I like to use the bulkheads, joined by red arrows in my picture, or the hump walls.(joined by the right hand red arrow) The bulkheads are the white lines between the cabins on the deck plan and the white metalwork that goes through all the decks on the photo.

Then you can count cabins.

In my image I've sized the two windows to be exactly the same sizes

So for deck 8 the three last cabins have metal/part metal balconies(8254/8258/8262 + on the other side 8259/8263/8267) giving 8250(starboard) as the first "safe cabin" and 8255 (port)

first safe cabins

deck 8:- 8250/8255

deck 9:- 9256/9255

deck 10:- 10246/10263

decks 11/12/13 all cabins are safe

couinting%20cabins.jpg

Pete

Wondering if 10120

skier 52 or anyone else familiar with explorer of the seas ***room 6690 on RCI explorer of the seas*** sorry for the error.

it's very difficult to get an image of the stern of Explorer but I've managed to come up with this/

It looks like 6690 is in a shady location but apart from that and a few bits of railing, not too bad

explote%20stern.jpg

an the undrawn on image

courtesy of newsapi.com

e627179409b51cb00fb34e86b6acc625?width=650

Pete