Jewel/SJ info for "seasoned RCI cruisers"

I read intently on these boards for info but do not post very often because....some posters are....say..."intense". If I want to be attacked I have family for that. But I have gained a lot of info on here and have seen some random questions so thought I would put in some info . Our last cruise was January 2014 and a couple of years since departing from San Juan

But first. For reference you see from my signature our previous cruises. I am easy going and the little things don't bother me. I don't like to complain unless important to me.

We arrived the day of the cruise. Taxi to port was 22.00 for the 2 of us plus one dollar per bag. All the cabs we saw were 2 bench seat vans large enough for a good size party. At the taxi stand we told them we wanted a grocery store stop. They said tell the driver and he will charge accordingly. There is a nice Pueblo store next to airport. For info purposes only. ALCOHOL IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE BROUGHT ON THE SHIP. BAD A NO NO. but if anyone is wanting for pre cruise this store sells liquor. We ran in quickly and got soft drinks. at port driver said no charge for stop. He was very nice we gave him 40.00 for the trip

A change at port. the cabs let you out with your luggage. you take it yourself all the way to the other end and there the luggage handlers take it from you and put on a cart . plus tip of course.

The first day did not go well at all. Lots of little problems. And some things that we were not pleased about. Like I said I am easy going but these were things I needed fixed and unhappy about. Staff was not nice ,not friendly. We were rethinking our long cruise for 2015. Had this been our first Royal Caribbean cruise we both agreed we would not do the line again if this were our reference. Some of the unpleasantness could be attributed to our 3:00 arrival. But there is the thought that the first, middle and last arrivals should receive the same treatment. They were all about washy washy hands, asked that you not shake hands with the staff . Good with me , I am terrified of Norovirus on cruise ships.

We were in aft cabin 7174. for those who have asked . They are replacing carpet in cabins as needed. Ours was not replaced but carpet was fine. We had gotten new deck furniture that day. nice loungers like we had on Celebrity , dark blue mesh. We did have a flat screen tv. You can hear the music from the Safari Club below at night.

Was disappointed that they no longer have free new movie on tv everynight. We sometimes enjoy a movie late at night or at nap tiem. They only have pay movies and old movies in the theater

The overall appearance and cleanliness of the ship is great. The only exception I saw was the Safari Club. Worn, faded, stained furniture, and dated. but at night it probably looked great

Really liked the Diamond 3 drink happy hour at any bar deal. The only one who didn't like it was the female at the Champange Bar. She skipped over us for regular paying customers. We went nearly everynight and tipped with every drink we got. I mentioned once how I liked the "perk" she rolled her eyes and said she did not like explaining every night the limited drinks you could get and passengers not being happy.

The main dining staff was excellent. They make the cruise for us. Great stateroom attendent .

I asked the maître d about menus for the week as there are a couple nights I am not crazy about and wanted to go to alternative venue. He said that they do not know the order of the menus as the chefs change the order night to night week to week. I do know every previous cruise we lobster the 2nd formal, this time the lobster was the night after the second formal. Again I mourn the loss of Vidalia onion tart.

It was written that casual dining in MDR no, hats, shorts or flip flops. We saw all was allowed even on formal nights.

Upon departure the customs line was ridiculously backed up. the line exceeded the size of the terminal and was curling around. I had read on the boards about the luggage handlers could get you thru faster. We asked the RCI guy how many lines there were because we couldn't tell if there was a third or not. he said 2 lines but the luggage handlers had a third, well he wasn't sure what they were doing but for tips...well... then he smiled. We said yes to baggage handler. Sure enough he took our bags went to a "third baggage handler line" and cut our time in half. we tipped him. Nicest guy. He has been working at the San Juan Port since 1977. said they were all like family and looked out for each other. Maybe this isn't the right thing to do but did it for "cruise critic research".

Hope some of the info was helpful. Like I said I appreciate the info I get here and wanted to contribute

Hello - Thanks for the update on Jewel. Good information regarding the cab ride, luggage handling, and casual dress in the MDR. I'm looking forward to seeing Jewel in 150 days - we will be in a room one deck above 7174. Looking forward to having the loungers on the balcony. It appears we have to keep our expectations low and hope for a pleasant surprise. This seems the opposite of how it should be given the recent price increases.

Thanks again