Many Firsts for us, on gem Suite

riddle

We never thought we would make it but due to some unbelieveable circumstances I am cruising on the Gem 11/9 with my DD, DSIN and 2 kids, 18 month and 3.

We are in a 2 bedroom suite. This is from some who has done a balcony once, an ocenview once and lots of insides.

Don't know the Gem, the kids have not sailed in years and the grandkids never.

Please give us the down and out details of what to expect. We are excitedly looking forward to it but know there will be limitations with the kids. I am grandma but will take time for myself to decompress.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and is there a DVD in the 2 bedroom family suite.

Many thanks from all 5 of us!

We never thought we would make it but due to some unbelieveable circumstances I am cruising on the Gem 11/9 with my DD, DSIN and 2 kids, 18 month and 3.

We are in a 2 bedroom suite. This is from some who has done a balcony once, an ocenview once and lots of insides.

Please give us the down and out details of what to expect. We are excitedly looking forward to it but know there will be limitations with the kids. I am grandma but will take time for myself to decompress.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and is there a DVD in the 2 bedroom family suite.

I've sailed in a 2 bedroom suite last year on Gem. The cabin is amazing, plenty of room and the bathroom is very big. There are 4 TV's and 1 DVD in the living room. You will love it!

A good place to do general research is the Family boards. There are also great posters such as MITSUGIRLY and CRUSINMAMA that have awesome reviews with plenty of pics showing kid things.

One of the best tips I got before we took the kids for the first time is to let your butler know things that the kids might like. We had the little milks from the buffet put in our room fridge and also the little boxes of Cheerios and Fruit Loops in the room for quick kid snacks. Our butler also brought pitchers of lemon-aid and cranberry juice so we always had drinks available for the littles.

Bring all your OTC meds in case someone is cutting a tooth or something along with some Band-aids. My 3 year old was not having any of the kids club activities but did love the water slides on board and the kiddie area if I was there. We also went to a few of the kid friendly shows but always sat in a place where we could get up and leave if needed.

Research, research, research the ports and the excursions so that they are easy to navigate and kid friendly. Sounds like a GREAT time!!

I put in a couple of pics of my 3 y/o enjoying "his" waterslide and hot tub. He graduated to the big waterslide after I went down with him a couple of times.

DSC_0481_zps72a67e33.jpg

DSC_0494_zpsb1325e6a.jpg

We stayed in a 2-BR family suite on the Gem the first time we took our kids on a cruise and had a blast. To answer your questions, there is at least one DVD player in the living room. You can bring your own DVDs or ask your butler to borrow them as well.

You'll find that the overall cabin size is about twice the size of a mini-suite. The kids bedroom area alone is about the size of an inside cabin. The main bathroom takes up a huge amount of space and, while nice, seems to be a bit of a waste to me. The kids bathroom has a shower in it, but for kids that size, I'd recommend using the main tub near the window.

Eating in Cagney's is a nice perk to help you avoid lines at breakfast and lunch, but your butler can also do room service in the room, which is helpful with the little ones. You can have him empty out the refrigerator in the room if you need to store milk, formula, etc.

There is a tot water slide that both kids can use. The three year old can use the kids club if potty trained.

Those are a few thoughts off the top of my head. Any specific questions you may have?