To have a balcony or not to have a balcony, that is the ?

brideoct12

We have had oceanviews, balconies, suites, and last time an inside. I have to say that although the inside was very doable and cozy, I really did miss seeing to the outside. We had to leave our room and walk down the hall to see what was happening weatherwise.

So my preference is for at least a window.

I was reading somewhere that on the last night of a cruise they sometimes remove the chairs on the balcony the night before docking. Is this true or is this just based on the cruise line itself? My parents and I have a balcony on Carnival Legend. Thanks!

One con to a balcony is you could get some filthy smoker next to you that smokes constantly, negating some of the benefits of a balcony. That is not an issue with an inside cabin.

My observation is cruises are a bit of a smoker magnet. Though only 21% of the adult population smokes, I'd guess more than 21% of cruisers are smokers.

First cruise I had a balcony and it was great. Last cruise some in my group wanted a suite...so I joined in....and wow.....balconies are larger...had comfie chairs...and rooms are larger with a dressing room and tub (carnival)....so now I need a balcony and suite....next cruise is Sept 2008 and I just booked aft suite with wrap around balcony...:)

Our 6th cruise we got a balcony for the full transit Panama Canal cruise and it was eccential for that cruise. BUT the price was out of our reach on a normal level. So we went back to outside cabins - I really want a view. Well we got a great deal on an aft cabin in 2005 for our 19th cruise (awesome) and then we got an upsell on NCL Dream to a balcony and boy it was hard on our 21st cruise to go back to the outside cabin.... But we did as they were sold out of balconies and the price was astronomical anyway. Well I looked and looked and looked and was finally able to find a balcony for an outside price - I decided that I really like cruising with balconies and am hoping to keep them up but my first love is cruising that is the main thing. We noticed too that in an outside cabin we spent a lot of time around the ship exploring and having fun. With a balcony we spend a lot of time in our cabin on the balcony instead. Meet less people but love the privacy... it is funner with an outside cabin and more relaxing and romantic with a balcony... :rolleyes: :D :p Debbie

Our 6th cruise we got a balcony for the full transit Panama Canal cruise and it was eccential for that cruise.

My wife and I went on a Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon. We had a balcony, but most of the time it was a bit too cool to really use it (60's and 70's in early November) Now we have booked our second cruise next October through Panama Canal. Remembering not using the balcony much, we went for an ocean view. Last night I was going through my pictures from the last cruise and how many great sunrise pictures I got while still in my PJs. :) Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't upgrade to a balcony. It would be about $400 each, $500 to go to CC (cruising X) Just wondering why you say the balcony is essential for the canal. I can use my imagination, but I want details. :) Thanks.

If we can afford the balcony, we will buy a balcony, but if we cant, we wont let it stop us from taking a trip. While we love being able to sit on the balcony and watch the water go by, if we really want that we can wander onto the deck and grab a chair.

Unless it does not cost a lot more or unless it gives us a vastly larger cabin we consider the oceanview & inside cabins the same since we dont spend a lot of time in the cabin otherwise.

We are taking our 3rd cruise in Oct and we have never had a balcony. We always have a nice room(deck 8 promenade) but the upcoming cruise is 10 days and I was thinking it would be nice to have a balcony. Are there any cons to having a balcony besides the price being a little higher? What part of the ship is best for a balcony room? By the way we will be on Voyager if the Seas and right now we ave a deck 8 promanade booked.

We really like a balcony. For a 10 day cruise it would be a great place to relax on your own. Go for it.

Payd:)

We are taking our 3rd cruise in Oct and we have never had a balcony. We always have a nice room(deck 8 promenade) but the upcoming cruise is 10 days and I was thinking it would be nice to have a balcony. Are there any cons to having a balcony besides the price being a little higher? What part of the ship is best for a balcony room? By the way we will be on Voyager if the Seas and right now we ave a deck 8 promanade booked.

sorry double post

Our upcoming 21st cruise we have booked a balcony

for Alaska and west coast. We've had a variety of

cabins on a variety of lines, but never had a bad cruise

(including the one when a hurricaine chased us all week).

If the price is right, we take a balcony. If we really want

to see the ports included, we may take an inside. We

do enjoy a breakfast in the cabin, or on the balcony.

I would rather have several cruises a year than one

with a balcony. I am up early and love to see the ship

come into ports - beautiful in Hawaii. If I could only

have inside cabins, I would still enjoy the cruises.:)

Rand98MTU - The reason I said it was essential for the Panama Canal cruise is because the main thing on the cruise is the Canal which is more or less scenery. So most people are out on the decks to see it. For example we got up at the unnormal (for us) hour of 6am and we couldn't get a space by the rail if we wanted it. Or the alternate dining which on the Legend of the Seas by RCL was at the front of the ship with lots of windows. The front table went about 4am I was told... Some people we had met on the cruise found us (they were looking because of the balcony..:D ) and said they had a table in the alternate dining to eat breakfast at (not by windows) which all the tables were full and could they come down to the balcony??? :eek: :D :rolleyes: haha Anyway we had two other couples at our balcony - it was really cool to look down and see how close (about 12 inches) on each side the ship was. I'd get a balcony lower to the water if I could. So we alternated being in the balcony (they have the bow view on the TV and a running comentary) and up top seeing from both sides. We thought we'd be back in bed at 8am but we were up all day enjoying the view with all the rolling hills and little light houses (this is before the US turned it back over to Panama so I'm not sure what it looks like now).. You could get close to the rail after a few hours and the first locks but before then it was 3 deep at the rail by 6-6:30am... BUT one other thing no matter what - get on top deck and look up as you pass under the bridge of Americas - it feels like you can touch it.. :) Either way it is something to be experienced but like Alaska when I get to go there I do think it is worth every cent of the money for the balcony even $1000 total more. Just me. By the way the ship didn't have that many balconies and that may be why there were so many people at the rails - maybe with the newer ships it would be different BUT then again there is so many ships now with glass around the outside rails that there are so few places other than the balcony to experience looking out over the ocean unobstructed... :o Debbie

My first cruise was a short 4 day on RCC which was an inside for my up Oct. on Carnival we opted for the L shaped balc. since we well be traveling with 4 other couples and I figured this will be a nice place to lounge before or after dinner being that the balcony itself is quite larger then others in that Catagory. Now that we are planning our Med. cruise next year out of Barcelona I know it would be a great benefit to have the balcony on the Navigator to enjoy the ports :D

Thanks for the feedback Debbie. I just need to make a deicision I guess. Everytime I start talking about it with my wife she just rolls her eyes. She doesn't care where we are as long as it's on the ship. I'm an engineer though and overanalyze everything so I don't regret some decision. lol We are cruising on Infinity, so I don't know if the decks will get that crowded or not. I've seen videos where the front of the ship is very crowded. Our itinerary has a lot of days at see also, so I'm thinking that might be another good reason to get a verandah. I know whatever I choose we'll have a great time. Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback!

Randy

Dremac - make sure you tell the cruiseline or the TA you booked with to make your reservation that cabin only no upgrades... They have been upgrading out of those cabins to suites with smaller balconies and not as desirable locations. :eek: So if you want that cabin please tell the people you booked with to make it that cabin only no upgrades. They can move you it is in the small print supposedly.... :rolleyes: Debbie

Randy - your welcome - I overanalyse too and drive my hubby nutts but he loves the cabins I get at the prices I get. If nothing else just keeping checking and upgrade if the balcony price comes down - but your wife is right as long as you go that is what is most important... You know when people ask me where and what cruises I have been on they don't ask if I was in a balcony...:rolleyes: I think that is interesting... ;) Debbie

On our one and only cruise earlier this year we had a balcony room. We LOVED it. I can't imagine going on one without a balcony now. Truly had some wonderful times out there. We are looking at booking another for next year and it will be a balcony for sure.

have taken a cruise with a oceanview room(nice) , have taken a cruise with an inside room(ok), and have taken a cruise with a balcony. Everyone that tells you it's 'unbelievable'.......'well worth it'........'spectacular'..........'can't do without it'..........................well they are all...........ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!! :) IT TRULY IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!! IMHO

We are going again next may and I wouldn't do it without a balcony!!

have fun

deuceguy

We're booked on an inside for this cruise because we've been to several of the ports(with outside/balcony) and a couple of the new ports are commercial dockages (not too scenic). I do love balconies but I'm not sure it would be worth the price $800. The Atlantic in early April can have dicey weather. Any thoughts on my dilemma? Thanks!

First cruise with a balcony and second cruise with an inside stateroom. This next cruise will have a balcony.

I appreciated the solitude of the balcony on the first cruise as we sat out and read books and magazines, played cards, and even had breakfast out on the balcony every morning and sometimes even lunch with room service. It was also nice to be lulled to sleep by the sounds of the waves with the balcony door propped open. We brought binoculars to use on our balcony and we were able to watch as we pulled in to each port. On that cruise we mostly kept to ourselves and enjoyed each other's company.

But the second cruise with an inside cabin forced me to spend a lot of time out of my cabin and I found that I had a blast out on the decks with all the activities and talking to people. Unlike the first cruise, I ate every meal outside of the cabin and was able to appreciate the variety of food that I didn't get to try before. I viewed my cabin as "that place where I change clothes" and was out all the time participate in the activities. I loved being out with all the other cruisers and I think a balcony would have made me more of a "homebody" or I guess you'd call it "cabinbody".

This next time we've booked a balcony but I'm going to try to have an equal time of both solitude and socializing.

I'm going on my third cruise and have been lucky enough to have a balcony on both occasions. I absolutely LOVED sitting on the balcony; it is so peaceful and private. However, this year, it is simply not in our budget, so I have not choice but to put myself, my husband and fourteen-year-old daughter in a standard OV on the RCI Navigator of the Seas.

I had originally booked a mini-suite on another cruise line all together BEFORE I started checking airfair which has gone up significantly, especially since we are going on spring break. My point is, that if you can afford the balcony, I think it is a spectacular feature that I used a lot. My teenaged daugther, on the other hand, doesn't care one bit about it and we are really taking this cruise for her (don't get me wrong, I love a cruise, too).

BUT if there is a chance that you will never be able to afford a balcony again, I don't know if I would get one, because you will be spoiled; I am stressing out tremendously due to not being able to have the accomodations I'm used to. That may sound odd, but it's quite a quandry in my opinion, especially when people so often say they would never cruise without a balcony again.

My mother took a cruise once, though, and the weather was so uncooperative that she was not able to take advantage of the balcony she had paid for at all. I felt like the 500.00 plus difference could add a big cushion to our vacation budget, so I am doing my first non-balcony cruise!

I don't know if that helps or not!

If we can afford the balcony, we will buy a balcony, but if we cant, we wont let it stop us from taking a trip. While we love being able to sit on the balcony and watch the water go by, if we really want that we can wander onto the deck and grab a chair.

Unless it does not cost a lot more or unless it gives us a vastly larger cabin we consider the oceanview & inside cabins the same since we dont spend a lot of time in the cabin otherwise.

I'm so glad you said that because I have been told by many people that if I can't afford a balcony (which I can't for my next cruise), I shouldn't go at all, since I'm used to having a balcony and a suite.

I'm thinking...."are you kidding? It would be better to stay in Kansas than to cruise in a standard OV or inside after a long, long winter? Those non-balcony cabins must be REALLY BAD!" I asked this balcony vs. non question on another thread, and appreciate the honest responses I received. However, I'm still going because I don't see how it could be better to stay home if I can't have a balcony. I don't ever want to be that spoiled. I could never travel again!

I'm so glad you said that because I have been told by many people that if I can't afford a balcony (which I can't for my next cruise), I shouldn't go at all, since I'm used to having a balcony and a suite.

I'm thinking...."are you kidding? It would be better to stay in Kansas than to cruise in a standard OV or inside after a long, long winter? Those non-balcony cabins must be REALLY BAD!" I asked this balcony vs. non question on another thread, and appreciate the honest responses I received. However, I'm still going because I don't see how it could be better to stay home if I can't have a balcony. I don't ever want to be that spoiled. I could never travel again!

Well, it's all a matter of perspective, imo. We've only cruised twice...first in a standard balcony cabin, second in an aft js with a balcony...don't let my CC 5000+ title confuse you. ;) We would not cruise if a balcony cabin was not available.

We order room service breakfast with 2 carafes of coffee every single morning to enjoy on the balcony, unless weather is an issue. IMHO, having to get dressed and mingle with the masses in order to enjoy the outdoors first thing in the morning, is not conducive to our cruising style. We prefer to ease into our days. In our opinions, a balcony simply adds another very pleasurable dimension to your cruise experience. We prefer having the ability to just "get away" and retreat to our own space. Numerous times during a cruise, one of us will be on the balcony reading, staring into space or relaxing while the other is elsewhere.

My inlaws have cruised 20+ times, all around the world and book insides. When they mention how they never spend time in their cabin, we retort with "Why would you?". ;)

Case in point, the NCL Majesty will be coming to Baltimore next year for the Bermuda itinerary. As much as we love Bermuda, we won't be booking this ship because #1, there are no balcony cabins, #2, I find the prices for a cruise on a 16 year old ship completely outrageous. We live 7 miles from Baltimore's cruise terminal.

It would never occur to me that we're "spoiled". IMO, a balcony is almost the norm these days. We cruise once every 1-2 years, so if that's "spoiled", so be it. I cannot relate to the equation that a balcony="spoiled".

Being close to the ocean also comes into play. We're always able to "get our fix". :)

madelinerose: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that people who would rather stay home than have a balcony were spoiled. Of course, it's a matter of personal choice. I was referring to myself as having been spoiled by booking a suite and mini suite on my two prior cruises (one was a company trip, and free), where, of course, we had balconies. I just can't afford it this time and it's stressed me out somewhat because it's what I'm used to.

I love to travel, and paricularly cruise, and I really do get claustrophic here in the midwest with no access to water (other than lakes, which during the winter don't help much in Kansas, anyway). The winters here are really long and cold (I know not as cold as some), and I just can't imagine that it would be better to stay home if I can't hav a balcony. I guess my advice to the OP was not that great.

I'm sorry if I insulted anyone, didn't mean it the way it sounded.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that people who would rather stay home than have a balcony were spoiled. Of course, it's a matter of personal choice. I was referring to myself as having been spoiled by booking a suite and mini suite on my two prior cruises (one was a company trip, and free), where, of course, we had balconies. I just can't afford it this time and it's stressed me out somewhat because it's what I'm used to.

I love to travel, and paricularly cruise, and I really do get claustrophic here in the midwest with no access to water (other than lakes, which during the winter don't help much in Kansas, anyway). The winters here are really long and cold (I know not as cold as some), and I just can't imagine that it would be better to stay home if I can't hav a balcony. I guess my advice to the OP was not that great.

I'm sorry if I insulted anyone, didn't mean it the way it sounded.

GJClay, thanks, but you certainly didn't insult me. I've never lived in Kansas or anywhere in the midwest, so I cannot relate.

Your advice to the op was just fine and it was your advice. That's what CC is for....asking a question and getting many replies with individual perspectives. Ultimately, the op makes the decision, based on a myriad of things.

My point was, if we wanted to do a cruise and a balcony wasn't available or we couldn't afford one on any of the ships we chose, we'd find another vacation venue, because we do not cruise exclusively. ;)

Archived