We need to have data access whilst travelling

Hi - we will be travelling in Canada for 10 days next year and need to have data access (I know we're on holidays so should turn it off:rolleyes:). Can someone please recommend a provider that we can purchase a prepaid sim to put into our hotspot dongle thingy (Don't know the technical name) so that we have access to the internet on our travels? We will also be in the USA so if it's one that covers both that'd be even better. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi - we will be travelling in Canada for 10 days next year and need to have data access (I know we're on holidays so should turn it off:rolleyes:). Can someone please recommend a provider that we can purchase a prepaid sim to put into our hotspot dongle thingy (Don't know the technical name) so that we have access to the internet on our travels? We will also be in the USA so if it's one that covers both that'd be even better. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I'm going to assume based on your upcoming cruises listed that you're asking about British Columbia. I've never had a cell plan there, but I googled it for you and the providers available are Bell, Fido, koodo, Rogers, Telus and Virgin. Bell, Rogers and Telus are the original "big three" for Canada.

You'll have to check your hotspot dongle thingy to ensure compatibility with whichever provider you want to go with.

I'm unsure whether the reverse of this is true, but when I visit the US I don't actually need to do anything for my phone to continue working. Telus has an agreement with one of the US providers and my phone just connects to their network/towers. That being said, it's an expensive option and if I knew my usage would be high I'd either purchase a package through Telus before I left or I would get a prepaid SIM as you're considering.

I would post this question on Trip Advisor where there are more people with knowledge about these issues. Be specific on where you are going and what you want.

You may be able to get by with wi-fi which is free in many places such as coffee shops, docks, airports, piers, etc.

Simple services offering just Data (without voice or text) are available - e.g. Ready SIM for use in the US, or if you are going to be in Canada first you might get an even better deal with Roam Mobility as it's Canadian-based and our dollar is usually worth less than a USD (also this would mean you could hit the US without having to find a SIM shop again; the same folks who sell Roam's product also offer SIMs from most Canadian providers).

In Canada, I've found that 7-Eleven's Speakout wireless has the cheapest PAYG rates in general - I use them myself. On the data front they offer a really simple option - spend $10 from your regular PAYG balance to get the first 100MB for 30 days; then 10c per MB after that. If you need data, but not *much* data, this is hands-down the cheapest way to go - if you know you'll want a Gig or more though, I have no doubt there are cheaper options.

Oh, I'm assuming since you also posted on Alaska board that your travels are in western Canada - if not, be aware 7-11 wireless doesn't operate inside Quebec...

• 8 months later...