Sillly toiletries question

You ladies are the most proficient cruisers I've met. Do you use travel size containers for toiletries or the full size of shampoo, conditioner, etc. Also, what do you use to put them in? I cannot find a nice toiletry/cosmetic bag

Andi, you won't want to lug the weight of those full size containers in your luggage, cuz the shoes alone are too heavy. LOL I bought some small travel size containers and sample size stuff and made sure they were all labeled. I found my Cosmetic bag at a luggage store. It folds open and has many compartments for a variety of things and it can be hung in the bathroom if you like.
I put my jewelry in a small Tupperware thing (don't laugh) and it fit in there as well along with my emergency first aid stuff. This made one neat package to put in my carryon luggage. Actually, it was small enough to put in my travel tote which I used as a purse. Wouldn't want any one getting ahold of my make up and jewelry or I'd feel absolutely nekkid.

Mariposa

Hey! I do the tupperware thing too. I purchase smaller size shampoo etc and put them in a gallon size ziplock bag. My makeup is in my carry on with me at all times. You never know when your bags will arrive. I don't look with out my makeup LOL!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;30;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Until I am back on the Infinity

Andi,

For shampoo & conditioner, I buy plastic travel bottles at the drug store and make sure they have a "flip top" in the lid so I don't have bottle caps to chase around the shower when I drop them. A 4 oz bottle will easily last me a week and I wash my hair 4-5 times a week. If I run out, the ship always has some, though I prefer my own.

When I get small jars of a face cream samples, or buy a small jar of eyecream, I save them after the product is used up and then I put my creams in them. I sterilize them first. Saves me bringing a 6 oz breakable glass jar of cream.
I pour my make-up foundation into very small bottles (supplied by the company) and bring two with me. Each one will easily last a week.

I have one of those label making machines and I make sure I label everything.

I usually bring some detergent with me. I buy a powdered one and put some in a sandwich sized ziplock baggie, then put that one in another baggie, in case one breaks. Make sure to label that one too.....don't need suspicious looks from customs when they see a baggie filled with white powder!

Items like toothpaste, sunblock, I bring the whole tube.

I have a variety of cosmetic bags that I've collected over the years and use whatever will suit me on that particular trip. Just make sure that they are plastic lined and if they zip close, make sure there are no open holes at the point of entry. I've seen bottles of shampoo leak out of the ones that didn't completely close.

As Mariposa said, some people like the ones that can be hung on a hook on the bathroom door.
I also agree with her about carrying it aboard the plane. If my luggage were delayed, it would be a big pain to replace all those items.

Another item I wouldn't travel without is emergency dental filler. This is used if a filling falls out or it you have to temporarily glue a cap back on. I've never had to use it, but the person I lent it to sure was glad I had it!

I have a suede lined leather jewelry roll bag that keeps my jewelry neat, unscratched and easy to find.

Jane

I have travel size bottles of my favorite shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc... I don't care for the stuff they have onboard as my hair is, shall we say, enhanced. I refill them before every trip. Sample sizes from cosmetic companies are great, just make sure you are using a product your skin will tolerate. I always ask the clerk at the cosmetic counter for extra stuff if they are giving away what I can really use. I'm also guilty of buying products to get the sample sizes I need, even if I don't need the item yet. (I will eventually) The worst they can say is no, but if you're nice and tell them you're going on a cruise, many times they will give you a little extra.

I just put the bottles in clear plastic makeup bags to make it easier if they want to search your bag. I've gotten several of these bags in different sizes from my local drugstore.

I think the Tupperware idea for jewelry is brilliant. I have jewelry rolls, but I take lots of beaded necklaces and bracelets that just don't fit in the roll. Thanks for the great tip!

Kathy

I second the recommendation for the over the door hanging toiletries case. I got mine at LLBean, and my daughter was threatening to nab it...lucky me found a knockoff at Walmart for $8 for her.
I keep it packed all the time, and refill with travel-sized shampoo and conditioner from my hairdresser...most places carry them.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Fascination 5/12/03

Archived