Charleston SC

trish1c

I'm contemplating a cruise out of Charleston but can't seem to find information on the port itself. Does anybody have a web site? Do you know how far it is from the AP? Any ideas about how much a taxi will cost? Where should I stay the night before?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Trish, the port (Port of Charleston) is approximately 12 miles from the airport. (CHS)Taxis in the states charge a standard metered fare unlike in Mexico and what-not. I don't know the rates but if you google, you will probably find the fare rates.

As for Hotels, just about any hotel you ever heard of is in Charleston!:) I can't recommend one as I have not stayed in one recently. You might try the pre-cruise hotel board on this website.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92&page=1&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=50&daysprune=-1

Good Luck.

We are cruising out of Charleston in March.. it's a great city to spend a few days in, lots to do and there are some relatively inexpensive hotels that are not right in the historic district. Travelocity has a good selection. The airport is in northern Charleston and I imagine some downtown hotels have shuttles (we leave in NC so don't fly to Charleston).. there are hotels by the airport but nothing to do out there. This website has a ton of info but if you have any questions will be glad to help... definitely consider a carriage ride (sevearl companies) through the historic district and save some time for the market

Charleston CVB: http://www.charlestoncvb.com/

We always stay at The Days Inn Historic District. Not fancy but reasonable price and GREAT location. It is right by the Market. Clean & safe! Also when we drive to Charleston, they don't charge to park the car. There are several lovely places near it but are much more expensive. I also recommend the carriage rides. They are great! Enjoy this wonderful city. Fran

I definitely agree re the lower priced hotels.. forgot about the Days Inn.. did that used to be something else???? you can walk everywhere in "old Charleston" so you don't need to worry re parking once you get there OR rent a car if you are flying in. The only reason you'd need a car would be to go to one of the plantations and there are tours for that. If you love antiques you can get a pass at CVB that also includes admission to some of the homes that are open in the historic district.

If you have children with you the Aquarium and harbor ride to Ft Sumter is something they would enjoy...

We are native Charlestonians so here are some suggestions

In downtown look up:

Holiday Inn historic district...1-843-805-7900

also

Hampton Inn 1-843-723-4000

There is a $10 airport shuttle which takes you downtown.

Charleston Harbor is right next to Charleston and there are some

nice hotels on it.

Holiday Inn Riverview (called the round holiday inn by locals)

1-843-725-4138

also

Charleston Riverview Marriott

1-843-723-3000

Taxis here run about $20

If you want to splurge there is the Francis Marion Hotel which is right in the center of town and very elegant. 1-843-722-0600.

also

The Charleston Place is right next to the market. 1-843-722-4900.

expect to pay $$$ for these two but they are very nice.

Good restaurants. Try Hymans Seafood downtown 1 843-723-6000 for great seafood at an affordable price.

For elegant southern cuisine try Poogan's Porch 1-843-577-2337 dinner is inside a historic home.

For the best hamburger in town according to Jimmy Buffet (and I agree) go to "Your Place" in the market area. 1-843-722-8360. Big ol juicy burgers.

Another good place on the Market is T-Bonz. It's a chain but they have something called "Tommy texas cheese fries" which are wonderful. Right next to them is a coffee and desert place called Kaminskis. If you eat at T-bonz they will get your desert from there. Try the "Death by Chocolate" a chocolate cheese cake with powered chocolate and chocolate sauce poured over it. T-bonz 1-843-577-2511.

Things to do and see...

The park on the Battery

Waterfront park

The Market area for fun shopping and eating. Sweetgrass baskets weaved right there.

Carriage rides are available on the market.

Fort Sumpter tour is a long boat ride to an empty fort. If you are a civil war buff its good but otherwise kind of dull.

Thank you all sooooo much. I knew you would have great insights. This next cruise is still in the very early planning stages. Having read these posts, maybe there's a long weeknd in Charleston in my future without the cruise. :D

We have visited Charleston several times while on vacation in SC. If you are able to walk, that is the best way to see the city. We usually park the car at the Vistor Center and walk down to the battery and back. Last year we didn't do anything except walk around and look at all the old houses, gates, gardens, and churches.

We did the Fort Sumter boat trip a few years ago. It was ok, but seemed like a long day. We also did Patriot's Point with the aircraft carrier, etc. You should plan on spending at least 1/2 day at Patriots point if you want to see all the ships.

Charleston is a beautiful old Southern city with many great restaurants, and the don't forget to visit the market at the old slave market sheds.

Archived