Ocho Rios with a recent knee replacement

BiXLL

My wife is having a total knee replacement done 11/21. We will be in Ocho Rios 1/21 on the NCL Epic.

We really do not know what to expect so far as how far along she will be after the surgery. Anybody that has gone through this offer advice as to what to do while in port? Would she be able to do Dunns River Falls, or should we look for something else.

Input and suggestions would really be appreciated.

My wife is having a total knee replacement done 11/21. We will be in Ocho Rios 1/21 on the NCL Epic.

We really do not know what to expect so far as how far along she will be after the surgery. Anybody that has gone through this offer advice as to what to do while in port? Would she be able to do Dunns River Falls, or should we look for something else.

I am heading that way in 9 days!! I could report back if you have any specific questions. I had a TKR in March. My guess, she will not be able to do the falls. She will just be finishing PT when you leave. I wanted to play in a golf tournament 2 months post surgery. My PT didn't say no, but she was concerned about me walking on uneven ground and messing up the new knee.

The last thing you would want is a fall and needing medical attention overseas.

How about the aerial chair ride, rafting or something a little less strenuous. With that said, her recovery will depend upon her condition going into surgery. Dunns river falls has a path to walk alongside the falls. My mother walked a portion of it when she was 79. So that could be an option. Have you looked at The Blue Hole? Tripadvisor rates it the #1 attraction in Ocho.

Good luck with her surgery. Hope all goes well.

Wow - you have high hopes for your wife! I am in my 50's and have had both knees replaced. We went to the Blue Hole 4 years after my surgeries, but I never could have climbed water falls or cliffs after only 2 months post-op. We also did a tubing excursion, but even that I wouldn't recommend. I am thrilled with my new knees, and would try just about anything now, but not in those first months post-op!

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Jamaica 6 weeks after my dh had knee replacement. We stayed at an all-inclusive, no excursions. Afterwards he said he wished we would have waited longer before he traveled, but relaxing to sit on beach. FYI: he was 49 at the time. Good luck with your wife's surgery.

I had mine done in Oct 2012 and was back in the office 5 weeks later but used a cane for support for another month. Our office is spread out over many floors and for a few months the stairs were intimidating.

That soon after I would be nervous about any activities where there is the possibility of falling.

We did not go on a cruise until 5 months after replacement and I did end up falling during that cruise in Cozumel doing the Amazing race Cozumel (I am not that coordinate :o). I did not land on that knee but it was still painful as my knee bent farther than it had up to that point in my recovery.

But people recover at different rates so it's hard to know where she will be in two months.

• 2 months later...

Please post upon your return on what you chose to do. My TKR was in October and we are cruising in March. At this point, I know I cannot do any of the strenuous activities and will not chance it. I'll find something I can handle even it's just sitting and watching while my husband partakes. Good luck, and have a wonderful cruise.