Uniworld -Delightful Danube & Prague

sazznfreddy

Hello:

New to river cruising and already very excited in reading so many wonderful experiences.

A question for past Uniworld cruisers who have had a recent all inclusive whether the move to AI has impacted the quality re food, excursions, customer service.

Are there evening snacks offered other than fruit, cookies and nuts...I prefer more frequent fuel rather than the three meal deal...I want to be prepared so if it means getting snacks at various ports every day not a problem.

Thank you.

Nancy

Edited by sazznfreddy

I took my first Uniworld cruise this past July so I can't really comment if there was any difference from before it was AI. However, I can tell you that the food, service and excursion were tremendous on the SS Antoinette on the Castles on the Rhine. We really didn't have one complaint.

As far as food. I'm a pretty big eater and I never went hungry. There are two different venues for breakfast. One in the main dining room and one less substantial for early or late risers that miss the main breakfast. Lunch is substantial and fairly long so you could potentially eat an early lunch and a late lunch before it closed. There is a really nice afternoon tea every day(although we were on excursion during this time every day but once). Now dinner is multi course and we found generally lasted from 7:00-9:00. When I first heard about this I thought I would hate it. But we made such nice people that the time passed fast and was a nice way to consume food at a slower pace. In all honesty we never pursued food after dinner as we were usually in bed by 11 due to the intensity of the excursions.

You will find ample opportunities for additional food during the excursions or in some ports going into town after dinner if you want something in addition to what the ship provides. I found Gelato was about the only thing I added while out.

Hope this helps some even though we have only been on one cruise but I was noticing you weren't getting any response.

Thank you papa B me.....very helpful information. :) I can imagine if I have a two hour dinner, I will be in bed soon after as well.

I will be prepared tho with extra snacks...as I am not used to eating dinner that late and I tend towards frequent but smaller meals.

The afternoon tea is usually from 3-4ish, so that's a good chance for a snack before dinner. They tend to have sandwiches, fruit, and desserts.

After dinner, many nights there was a special late night snack, but I only had it once.

Twice on our seven-day Danube Cruise, there was a "special lunch" (BBQ & German Sausage) that started early, around 11 or 11:30. Nothing would stop someone from eating that meal and then going to the dining room around 1:00.

Uniworld also offers a "bistro menu" in the bar/lounge area. They serve that menu whenever the bar is open. They don't push it by putting the menus at the tables, but if they ask they are happy to offer it to you. They also serve snacks (pretzels, olives, cheesy crackers) in the lounge before and after dinner if you ask the wait staff. Sometimes they just show up.

All day every day, there are cookies and candy near the coffee station.

I really don't think you'll go hungry.

Like the previous poster, I did not sail on Uniworld prior to all-inclusive, but I consider myself a foodie and was very impressed with the food offered in all venues. While getting a massage, I asked the masseuse if he noticed a difference onboard after they went all-inclusive, and he just said that people drink a lot more.

I went on a very similar itinerary to yours in September (ours was called Danube Discovery & Prague). I'd be happy to answer any questions, and you can also check out my blog (linked in the signature) for daily reports from the River Ambassador and our hotel in Prague.

We're booked on another Uniworld vacation over Christmas/New Years 2005/2006 - it can't get here soon enough!

We sailed Uniworld both before and after the change and still love it. Before we did castles on the Rhine, this may we sailed the po, then next May we are doing delightful Danube and Prague, perhaps on your sailing? We are on the May 6 sailing.

Diane

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We sailed Uniworld both before and after the change and still love it. Before we did castles on the Rhine, this may we sailed the po, then next May we are doing delightful Danube and Prague, perhaps on your sailing? We are on the May 6 sailing.

Diane

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Diane:

I will be on the July 20th sailing...I will look forward to your feedback :) ! Thank you for giving me the heads up....it is what one makes it...I am doing my research and I will expect the unexpected and take it in stride as a wonderful experience and great memories

:)!

Nancy

Edited by sazznfreddy

• 3 months later...

Hi,

We are on the above sailing. It will be our 4th Uniworld Cruise and we are very excited

We have made long lasting friendships from our first cruise

Hoping to hear of others on this sailing

We have found the service and food to be super...not over the top

This will be our first time on an "older" ship...The River Princess

We also took the extension in Budapest

Tina