Hiking poles

izzy19

We have folding hiking poles that collapse down to less than a foot. We have packed them in our carry on numerous times. They are quite expensive - check Amazon or a local sporting goods store. It would be cheaper to buy or rent poles at your destination unless you plan to use the poles other times. Telescoping poles generally are too long to fit in a carry on. Enjoy!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I bought PacerPoles from England for our recent Camino de Santiago hiking trip and think they are the best. They have a unique handgrip that eliminates hand strain and chafing, which I noticed other hikers got from their poles. I put them in my checked luggage for the flights over and back -- and TSA opened my bag each time (I assume so they could figure out what this strange x-ray image was).

When we hiked there last February the guide supplied everyone with a walking stick. I think that bringing your own poles might be too cumbersome as a good deal of this trail is trekking through roots and mud as well as crawling on your hands and knees in many places. We basically used the stick to hoist ourselves to the next slippery rock.