What about the Summit??

janjay

Cruiseclues,

Thanks for the memories. I clicked on your album and to my surprise I was not only on your cruise but also in one of your pictures. On your page 3, I am in a blue cover up dancing on the Catamaran trip from Nevis. Great trip, Great cruise.

Judi

We were on the Summit 10 Day Southern cruise last March (2004). Overall, we thought it was the best cruise we've taken yet - four previous on RCL, Princess and Carnival. In fact we're booked on the 11 Day Western cruise next March in the same CC cabin 9082.

With that said I'll comment on entertainment. We didn't think much of the stage shows. We watched about 3 minuites of several and left, and thought the comic and magic shows we did sit through were fair at best. But then again we really don't like cruise line stage shows in general and usually don't like shows much on other lines, except for an occasional comic or magic show. What we like is a nice lounge band to play music to listen to and dance a little (at least to pretend we know how to dance to). We're in our 40's so our definition of "nice" is rock dance music from 70's forward but not too much "new" music or hip-hop type stuff and a fair number of slow dance tunes. The Summit had a great band Voltz which fit right into our definition of great, and as a result we'd rate the entertainment as excellent.

Our review is in the member review section of this site and below is a link to some pictures.

Link to Simon's cruise pictures

In March this year, the shows didn't wow me, the ship had some rust issues, and those little 1 X 1 pool tiles were disembarking in mass .

BUT what makes a cruise? Staff, service, food were tops, definately better than New Years '02 - '03, and except for the items mentioned above, interior and exterior finish appeared in excellent condition. If she is scheduled for dry dock in 6-8 months that ought to be about right, and I wouldn't shy away from her in the meantime.

Judi,

You're welcome. Our page is a personal planning page on the Summit. We've been on the Zenith, Century, & the Galaxy, but not on the Summit, yet. Would like to see your photo. To which album were you referring?

icon_smile.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

Happy Cruising, Buil, http://cruiseclues.com

Sitmar, RCCL, Costa, HAL, Princess, Royal Cruise Line, Celebrity, Renaissance, Disney, MSC Lirica

"We cannot change the direction of the wind... but we can adjust our sails"

Thanks Janjay - I know we'll like the Western. We really liked the Summit. And the 10/11 day period is great (of course it's better than 7 - Da!!) We've done two western cruises before and can't wait to put together the Western plus Summit.

Tell me does the Summit go into the canal at Panama and then turn around, or just dock so that you have to travel to see any locks?

When we did the Western Summit last year, we docked and took an excursion to the lock and to a fort. Both were interesting. Many people just took a taxi/tour to the lock and around the port area.

The lock has a viewing platform and you watch the ships going through. Slowly.

Grace

We have been on Summit twice (once Southern and once Western) and going on her again in March 2005 (back to Southern). While in Panama the Summit does not go into the canal - she docks at the Port of Colon.

Simon came on board at the end of our last cruise, March 26, 2004, so we just missed him. I hope he keep rotating and we get him in March 2005!!

The Summit does not go throught the canal. I was glad because it is an all day process with the big ships. You can watch and do an excursion of Panama City. We did the two ocean excursion on a super cool old train. We loved it.

LMKohler:

Well re-reading your message an my response I now realize you weren't talking about me but about Simon the CD!!

Da!! I though you were replying to my message since we in fact did take our first Summit cruise on the 3/26/04 sailing. Oh well!

Archived