Cruising after Gastric Bypass

I ordered an appetizer-sized Thanksgiving dinner once and they did it. Tiny amounts of all the usual goodies!

I've also found that all the waiter needs to hear is "The food was good but I'm full."

So thankful for this thread! I just had surgery 3 weeks ago and I'm just learning what I can and cannot eat. (cheese-good, bacon-evil) I know that I'll be good with soups. I haven't tried fried foods and I know bread doesn't sit well. My cruise isn't until the middle of March, but that is just a little over 2 months away. It's all so scary, trying to remember everything and what to bring, ie protein powder and a shaker, etc., as well as all my vitamins, etc.

Watch out for those soups you fill up with no protein.

I am over 4 years out and just today I over did it. I don't dump anymore and have never been one to throw up. I just get very uncomfortable.

It is an on going learning process.

My issue has now become nibbling on things I shouldn't since I quit smoking.

Watch out for those soups you fill up with no protein.

I am over 4 years out and just today I over did it. I don't dump anymore and have never been one to throw up. I just get very uncomfortable.

It is an on going learning process.

My issue has now become nibbling on things I shouldn't since I quit smoking.

Terrific advice about the soup and I would also add to that salads and veggies. Great fillers for those on a "diet" but not for GBP folks. We need the protein and if we fill-up on that stuff we won't have room for the foods we need.

I never had the dumping or throwing up problem, the type of surgery I had avoided those after effects, but I can identify with that horrible "very uncomfortable" feeling and what I learned from others in my support group was that if I laid on my left side for about 15 or 20 minutes that that uncomfortable feeling would begin to subside. Works for me almost all the time. Maybe it will work for you.

As far as nibbling, that's a way of life for me! I love that I can now sample all the things that use to be "forbidden". Sometimes I nibble so much while cooking that I am too full to eat the meal I just made!

And yes, an ongoing learning process!!

Last comment for the newer GPS people. After my surgery I was very sick with wound infections so I couldn't eat anything for many weeks. MD said either I eat or go back into the hospital for IV's. So I forced myself to begin eating. He suggested meatballs. So sent DH to Costco for a bag. It took me an entire day to eat 1 meatball the size of a golf ball. It was horrible! It took me several weeks before I could eat 2 or 3 at a time. I say this because I want you to know that whatever problems you encounter you will learn how to deal with them to your own personal satisfaction. This too shall pass is a great motto for me. I now can eat pretty decent size meals. Not like I use to eat :but good enough. Sometimes I can even eat an entire sandwich and FF! Good luck, I hope you love your new life as much as I love mine! :D

Edited by luvs2beachit

You can also ask for a Childs portion of any meal on the menu. Good luck!

This is a great piece of advice! I'm still barely eating 1/2 a container of greek yogurt right now for a meal! I can eat chicken almost anyway, but have a little trouble with red meat and some pork. I've not had any dumping, but the throwing up part is still a part of my life just a bit.

I love soups, so I will miss them, but I know protein is the main thing. Luckily, I love cheese and yogurt! Do they have Greek yogurt on the ships? I know they have cheeses and sliced meats at almost every meal on the buffet. I might take some baggies and put some in my frig for snack attacks!

As a gastric bypass patient and the RN Coordinator of a Surgical Weight loss program, cruising can be easy, you just need to remember the basics. Always eat your protein first, drink all your water (separately of course!). I rarely order the appetizer, soup or salad. Avoid the bread all together. Focus on the great proteins they have on the cruise. I sometimes finished up with the cheese plate, while everyone enjoyed their desserts. I never feel like I am missing out on anything. If I want something, I take my fork and grab a bite of someones at the table! During the day, take advantage of the fresh fruits. Most of all, have fun!

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone! I use premixed shakes. Will they let me carry on? If not, any ideas. I love my protein shakes in the am. Thanks! :)

In preparation for my surgery on 3/30, I have been getting lots of samples. There is a product call gotein (add dot com for their website). It's protein in a to-go packet -- like crystal light but bigger -- just add to your water bottle.

Good luck.