December 1 - Barbados Independence Day - anyone been there?

phoenix_dream

Hello - our cruise stop in Barbados will be on December 1, the day they are celebrating their Independence Day this year. Has anyone been there on that date? Wondering if there are any special events and if the stores downtown will still be open. The Barbados website doesn't have much information. Thanks!

Hello - our cruise stop in Barbados will be on December 1, the day they are celebrating their Independence Day this year. Has anyone been there on that date? Wondering if there are any special events and if the stores downtown will still be open. The Barbados website doesn't have much information. Thanks!

Independence Day will actually be celebrated on November 30. December 1 is going to be a public holiday as once Independence days falls on a Sunday the Monday is always a public holiday.

Stores in Bridgetown will actually be open as December 1 will be when the Christmas shopping period gets into full swing.

A quick update on my previous post. We have had 3 days of non stop rain here in Barbados which has resulted in quite a bit of flooding. As a result the Independence Day Parade will not be held at its usual location and will instead take place in another area of the Bridgetown port. You will therefore get the opportunity to witness the ceremony/parade up close and personal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the quick reply. After I posted my question I was emailing someone at the Hilton and also asked her the question. Unfortunately she told me the opposite. She said downtown stores will be closed. Your logic makes more sense to me.

She maybe partially correct as not all stores will be open but a number of them will be.

Do you know if there might be any special events for the holiday that would be fun for my 4 year old daughter?

There should definitely be something Barbadian put on for you at the port and as I mentioned earlier the parade will be starting from the port this year. I am sure your daughter will enjoy seeing all the pomp and pageantry associated with the parade.

Thanks for updating us. I hope that the flooding isn't impacting you and your fellow residents too badly.

Thanks for the concern. There has been no major damage due to the flooding, just a whole lot of inconvenience for those in flood prone areas. Not being able to get into and out of your homes and a few roads being impassable because of flood waters and a few fallen trees is the extent of the situation.

Except for being a huge inconvenience and schools having to be closed on Friday there was no damage to property or lives lost.