Cabs & Hotels in New York

Aimarg

Can anyone help me find details on cabs and their costs to the cruise ship dock from JFK, LaGuardia & Newark - JFK being the most likely airport.

Are there any inexpensive but decent hotels near the cruise port or would we be better finding something near the airport?

Do the hotels have shuttles to/from the airport and to/from the cruise ship dock?

Thanks

Marg

http://www.nypst.com lists all the cab prices. In my opinion the numbers listed are about $10.00 too low.

What is the cost of a taxi from local airports?

JFK Airport has a flat rate of $35 * plus tolls.

LaGuardia Airport is approx. $22 – 30* plus tolls

Newark Airport is approx. $45 * plus tolls

* Price may increase depending on traffic

About hotels there is a comfort inn on 50th street that is supposed to be ok...Priceline would get you the best price. I don't think there are any free shuttles to the NY dock from any hotel. I personally don't like the hotels by Kennedy and it is somewhat isolated. I actually think the hotels by LGA and EWR are somewhat better. Personally for the extra money I would stay in Mahattan and take a cab to the cruise terminal.

One thing to note if your not used to NYC prices: Tolls are usually in the $5-10 range.

Also remember the trip will take about an hour depending on traffic (may take up to 2! on a weekday morning or a weekend depending on if there's something going on in the city) which is why they do a flat rate.

Per the NYC Taxi & Limo commission the current rate from JFK are:

The Taxi & Limousine Commission is conducting a "Flat Fare" program for trips from John F. Kennedy International Airport to Manhattan.

The flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls. The meter will not be turned on and the night surcharge will not be added.

Estimated: To LaGuardia Airport .......................$24 - $28

To Newark Airport ...........................$69 - $75 + $15 surcharge

From LGA is calculated:

Metered Rate of Fare

$2.50 upon entry

$0.40 for each additional unit The unit fare is:

one-fifth of a mile, when the taxicab is traveling at 6 miles an hour or more; or

120 seconds (at a rate of twenty cents per minute), when not in motion or is traveling at less than 6 miles an hour.

Night surcharge of $.50 after 8:00 PM & before 6:00 AM

Peak hour Weekday Surcharge of $1.00 Monday - Friday after 4:00 PM & before 8:00 PM

Again, plan on at least an hour of being in the cab.

From Newark it gets expensive, it's going to be at least an hour cab ride and the following:

the amount shown on the taximeter plus a surcharge of $15.00; and all necessary tolls to and from the destination shall be paid by the passenger.

Might be better to hire a car service for that instead.

The taxi rider's bill of rights:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rights.shtml

Might want to consider the bus service rather than a taxi. I took one of these (don't remember which) back in college & the ride was ok. Just plan on around 2 hours just to be sure:

New York Airport Service

212-875-8200; www.nyairportservice.com. Call or visit website for schedule.

Buses operate frequently between Manhattan and both JFK (one way $15, round-trip $21), from early morning to late at night, with stops near Grand Central Terminal (Park Ave between 41st and 42nd Sts), near Penn Station (33rd St at Seventh Ave), inside the Port Authority Bus Terminal (see below) and outside a number of midtown hotels (for an extra charge). There are also buses that operate from JFK to La Guardia (one way $13).

Olympia Trails

212-964-6233, 877-894-9155; www.olympiabus.com. Call or visit website for schedule.

Olympia operates between Newark Airport and Manhattan, stopping outside Penn Station (34th St at Eighth Ave) or Grand Central (41st St between Park and Lexington Aves), and inside Port Authority (see below). The fare is $12 one-way ($19 round-trip); buses leave every 15 to 20 minutes, all day and night.

SuperShuttle

212-209-7000; www.supershuttle.com. 24hrs daily

Blue SuperShuttle vans offer door-to-door service between NYC and the three major airports. Allow extra time when catching a flight, as vans will be picking up other passengers. The fare varies from $13 to $22, depending on pickup location and destination. Always call to confirm.

Forgot to answer the other question:

The port is in Manhattan & JFK is on Long Island so just get the best hotel you can get at a reasonable price in manhattan. You can easily get there once in Manhattan by cab or subway (although with luggage cab is preferred). Remember Manhattan is a pretty small island :)

http://www.nypst.com lists all the cab prices. In my opinion the numbers listed are about $10.00 too low.

About hotels there is a comfort inn on 50th street that is supposed to be ok...Priceline would get you the best price. I don't think there are any free shuttles to the NY dock from any hotel. I personally don't like the hotels by Kennedy and it is somewhat isolated. I actually think the hotels by LGA and EWR are somewhat better. Personally for the extra money I would stay in Mahattan and take a cab to the cruise terminal.

you don't like the hotels at Kennedy? I can't imagine why!!!! LOL actually our first trip to NYC was about 25 years ago and we had a flight out the next morning to Aruba so stayed at a place called the Skyway Inn I think. The only good thing I can say for it was it had a bed and we were very tired so we could sleep. The wall paper was peeling off the walls, the carpets were stained, the halls dark and on and on. The price was right, our daughter, who is an airline employee got us what is referred to as an interline rate (I know you know what that is) Can't remember what it was, but we survived and are hear today to laugh about it. NMNita

you don't like the hotels at Kennedy? I can't imagine why!!!! LOL actually our first trip to NYC was about 25 years ago and we had a flight out the next morning to Aruba so stayed at a place called the Skyway Inn I think. The only good thing I can say for it was it had a bed and we were very tired so we could sleep. The wall paper was peeling off the walls, the carpets were stained, the halls dark and on and on. The price was right, our daughter, who is an airline employee got us what is referred to as an interline rate (I know you know what that is) Can't remember what it was, but we survived and are hear today to laugh about it. NMNita

Thank-you, smeyer418 & violetrose, so much for taking time to share your knowledge of NY. Great information for someone who is making their first trip to NY, and hasn't a clue what is where. As we're arriving 7pm, we'll have lots of time to get to the hotel, so we'll probably check out the shuttle link. Now for the hotel - Priceline, here I come.

Thanks again.

Marg

Since this is your first visit to NY I hope you can come in a day or two early to actually see the magnificent city. A couple of days in NYC is quite a vacation in itself! For a first time visitor staying in the Midtown area is a nice central location. There's a fun hop on and off bus too which will allow you to see a lot too. My husband has family there so we've been going to NYC once a year for many years yet I still see something new each time! It really is the city that never sleeps!

There is nothing to see staying in a hotel near the 3 airports and would do so only if you have an early morning flight out.

Radio City is in Midtown -- 50th & 6th ave. It's right by Rockefeller Plaza too (I work in Rock Center so I see it ever weekday!).

I'd definitely try to get a hotel in midtown area (thats anything bellow 59th and above 34th). That's where most of the touristy stuff is at. Manhattan is a grid from Houston (which is the equivalent of 1st street) up. The closer to the Park (starts at 59th street) the more expensive the hotels will be. You can also stay below Houston in the financial district area around wall street/world trade, but I wouldn't recommend that for first timers in NYC because that area clears out after 8pm and gets a lot spookier without people around. Besides, the Port is on 55th street anyway.

Not sure what bus Petlover was referring to.

Feel free to ask more questions! :)

Archived