I didn't realise the boards are retrospectively censored

Dave From Oz

Interesting that not only was my last post not accepted, but several posts from Meow & UK1 as well as mine have disappeared after being originally posted.

It does seem that a certain poster is being protected by the powers that be.

But how does everyone else feel about posts suddenly disappearing from the boards????

dave

Hi Dave - I'm concerned to read your post about censorship. As I cannot recall a single post in breach of rules - could you refresh my memory about which posts from the three mentioned have been cut?

It is discourtesy in the extreme if posts have been deleted without a moderator contacting the poster to point out where guidelines/rules have been breached - and if this is happened then I will certainly not post again without an acceptable explanation.

I've worked out the missing posts and request a public statement from the moderator (a) why the posts were removed and (b) why the moderator didn't make contact with at least two of the posters.

Failing any reasonable response I won't waste my time in future posting and hope that others take the same approach.

Thanks UK1,

I was hoping I was not the only one concerned with what had happened.

It does make you wonder about double standards - Durant has been accused of all sorts of things (including tking money to boost Siversea) & has been left to defend himself (rather capably I must say) - but when I suggested that another poster might be "stimulating" discussion the guillotin came down.

And I might add, I queried Richard as to why my final post was censored & didn't get the coutesy of a response.

Not to be cynical, but it does make you wonder how long this thread will be allowed to remain.

Dave

I'm dissapointed. I've posted many times in particular about europe where most advice to americans comes from other americans - and I genuinely felt I was helping others with an area of the world where I'm expert.

Censorship is totally unforgivable except in very extreme situations where life is at risk. Not on an internet travel board. I will not accept censorship from a board moderator on the basis of "they didn't LIKE the post" and couldn't be bothered to inform the poster. The forum shouldn't be supported on that basis by anyone with any sense of freedom and fair play.

I want to emphasise this issue is not about whether other people agreed, or liked my posts - but whether they agree that someone should delete them without explanation so that others couldn't read them. Censorship without accountability or explanantion is the issue.

We'll either get an explanation - or I gess as you predict - not - in which case it was great to talk to you and good bye.

When were the missing messages posted? Could they have been posted during the maintenance window (6/4-6/5, I believe), when Cruise Critic's forums carried a warning that any posts during that time would be lost in the scheduled software upgrade?

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

Dave, UK1 and Meow,

Please repeat your cencored posts here - or elsewhere - so that we all can judge by ourselves.

I do not believe that they will be cencored again. If so, then they could be published somwhere else.

Hey everyone, if your post was deleted without explanation, do tell us what it was about! I know that posts that "flame" others or are deemed to be "disruptive" are deleted, and of course it is a judgement call which ones must go........the Radisson Board had a spate of that a couple of months ago, and the resultant hue and cry among regulars resulted in the creation of a new board. (the regulars still post on the Rad. board though.)

While I don't always have anything to add to the posts here, I log on every day (usually more than once!) to see whats new.....I enjoy all of the give and take, and have definitely learned more about cruising from reading these posts (and sometimes posting myself!) icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

Glenda Madrid

Hi all,

Reposting is a little difficult - the posts in question no longer appear in my private space under the list of posts made.

I guess I am surprised that a thread can be retrospectively "adjusted" to the benefit of one poster. As I remarked earlier, it seems strange given that other posters have been very roughly dealt with in the past & the posts remain for all to see.

But, more importantly, it is the silence of the moderator which is disturbing. To paraphrase the rallying call from the American War of Independance,rather than "No taxation without representation", we ought to insist on "No deletion without explanation"

Or, of course, there is the alternative that LuxLady mentioned...

Dave

I downloaded the whole thread the other day, and IMHO, what started out by uk1 as his impressions of the ship from his viewpoint and lifestyle deteriorated in discussions of frozen meat and whether French beef was better than Texas beef.

It may be that the moderator felt that these types of discussions have no place on this board.

I come here to read of other peoples' experiences on a cruise line and share my own with them. I realize that observations can be colored by one's own culture, and I enjoy discussing a subject with a person who has a different take on it. But to understand, not to criticize their opinion.

And just to clarify one thing - the debate over fresh versus frozen meat took place after the deletions to the Board had occurred.

As UK1 said, the debate got strident when the rich versus poor card was played & I remarked that a particular poster had an inordinate number of posts & requests for polls without ever having travelled with Silversea.

The response to that (which has also been deleted) indicated that they thought this was a personal attack & the rest (as it were) is history. As best I can recall it, my final post on the subject - which Richard refused to let on the Boards for an unspecified reason - enquired as to whether the poster in question was posting to stir up controversy rather than taking part in a discussion among past & imminent cruisers.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer.

And in closing, I too am still waiting for the Moderator to break his silence regarding all this

Dave

Absolutely right English Voyager.

But to emphasise - if Richard with the benefit of hindsight - and we've all our understanding that quick decisions are made and not ALL will be right - apologises - then in my eyes he becomes a hero. If he fails to explain or respond - and there is no button to complain about the moderator - then he loses the respect and support of those that give time to post.

I read the thread before the deletions were made and found it interesting. I saw nothing to warrant deletion of posts. Its a bit too restrictive if we can only post when we agree with other posters!!

I find this board intersting because there are differing opinions. I support uk1 in his request for explanantion.

Martyn

Thanks to posters supporting the desire to understand why the deletions were made.

Martynk and bdmarine (he might of been bought and swayed from hearing about my travels to Atlanta - and my undisclosed affection for all things peachtree, big chicken and marietta, and dahlanooga - but that's a different story, I'm detracting from my new found grumpy reputation) - are thanked for their support.

I reported/complained about my own post requesting a response from Richard (or I assume anyone standing in) to explain what's happened.

I know it's trivial - but the withdrawal of free speech is not something any of us should tolerate lightly.

Thanks again for the notes of support for OzDave and moi.

uk1

Just to echo UK1, thank you to those who have voiced their concerns regarding this matter.

In the overall scheme of things it seems a small quibble, but to me (and I suspect to many others) this board is a refreshing change from the everyday life. It does seem a pity that this has not only happened but has been allowed to fester for want of a response from the moderator.

If I wanted politics, studied silences and sleight of hand, I'd stay at work, not try to relax & share my interests with other enthusiasts. The generous sharing of members has enabled me to choose the Silversea voyage which is right for me & to know what I am going to experience. The thought that politically incorrect posts may well have disappeared from other threads is rather worrying.

It would be good to think that Richard would resolve this before someone puts a countdown clock on how long this has been allowed to continue.

Dave

Unfortunately,I am of an age when things are either partially remembered,or not at all.

Did not the "aggrieved" party enquire as to how to make a complaint about insulting messages,and were they not advised to hit the "report this post" button?

Perhaps the individual concerned did complain.

It occurred to me that Richard may be away from the board and not realise that an explanation was required. So, I just reported this thread to see if that encourages Laura or someone to respond.

Martyn

Archived