Stingrays or Turtles?

LREcruise02

Hello, looking for some opinions. We have been to GC before and always done a beach day at 7 mile. Now our girls are 6 & 4, looking to do something fun for them. I am torn between the turtle farm for the day or a stingrays and rum point beach excursion. Looking for opinions maybe from anyone who has done one or both with kids? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How are your girls with strange animals? Are they the ones that run up to pet the neighbor's dog and immediately pick up their new friend's cat to hug it, or do they play shy with unfamiliar animals?

If they are outgoing and love new animal experiences, Stingray City is awesome.

If they normally play shy, go with the turtle farm where all the animals are in pens or tanks.

Edited by bookbabe

My 6 year old is adventurous and loves animals and water. My 4 year old is a little more timid, but given some time will warm up. I think on the stingrays my 6yo would stand in the water but I would probably have to hold the 4yo which is fine. But I don't want her to be scared either and not have a fun time.

My 6 year old is adventurous and loves animals and water. My 4 year old is a little more timid, but given some time will warm up. I think on the stingrays my 6yo would stand in the water but I would probably have to hold the 4yo which is fine. But I don't want her to be scared either and not have a fun time.

Go to YouTube and search "stingray city cayman" and have the two of them watch some of the videos about the experience. That will give them a preview of what to expect, which might help. The 4yo on shoulders likely wouldn't even touch the water with her toes, so make sure she knows that in advance.

I'd also go with a privately-booked company rather than the cruise ship "cattle car" excursions, in order to get more attention from the guides and thus have a better experience.

I'm a big fan of Stingray City. We've been dozens and dozens of times, with groups of all ages. It's like nothing else out there, as the stingrays are wild and come and go as they please, but have gotten so used to humans as a food source that they'll swarm you like cats when you've been shaking the treats container. :D It's a blast.

In terms of the turtle farm, you can book the "see 'em and go" or the full park options - their website has details of what's there. The turtle farm is much more zoo/petting farm...nice to see, but we don't tend to visit there as often unless one of the turtle-crazy nephews is visiting with us.

http://www.turtle.ky/

Great thank you so much! Great idea to show them the stingrays in advance. Maybe I'll find videos of both places and just let them choose. And I agree we rarely do ship excursions. I have read about several good independent tours to stingray city! Is there a certain one you recommend? Thanks again!

Have done both before. Trying to do both on the same day coming up in 2 weeks. Loved the turtle farm. If you get the whole park option, there is plenty to do for the day including a pool and waterslide but the kids need to be a certain height for that I believe.

Stingray city is a half day option. Most tours also do a snorkeling stop which I would rather skip and may or may not be enjoyed by the little ones.

Thank you! I think we decided to spend the day at the turtle farm. I showed my girls some pictures and they are very excited about it! I think we will definitely do the stingrays when they are a little older! I'm sure we will be back to GC! Thanks to everyone for your input!! Very helpful!

We went to the turtle farm a few weeks ago with our 10 year old grandson. He had been to Stingray City and loved it but was really excited about the turtles. There is a big pool with the full grown turtles. Smaller tanks with medium size but the hit was a small tank with water about knee high(for him) he could go in and hold the small ones(about 8 inches around). We didn't plan for the water park area but will next time.

If you take a cab ask if the offer a discount for the turtle farm. We paid $10per person instead $18(I think) with a card from the driver. Have fun.

My boys were 8 when we did the stingrays. One of them wouldn't even get in the water. While the other one did... The water was very deep and choppy. He could not touch the bottom so I was constantly worried about something happening to him. Now they both loved the snorkeling after.

We are going back to Grand cayman in March and they both asked to do something different 😏

We enjoyed our Stingray City tour, my son was 7 and he loved it as his dad had him on his back taking him up close to the Stingrays that the Stingray handlers had. Our tour was with Stingray City United so along with the stingrays he got to see and touch parrots, love birds and feed wild tarpons. There were also wild iguanas on the compound but they run away when you get close to them. It was an amazing experience for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk