Replace mattresses??

I've done a search on the board and didn't see this answered, and I apologize if it's already been asked, but....

When Explorer goes into drydock in Sept. (or any ship for that matter) do they replace the pillows and mattresses as part of the process? After reading a recent post about bedbugs I'm really grossed out. We are sailing on Explorer in November and I would feel MUCH more comfortable if they were being replaced.

Thanks! This board has been a godsend since I found it with all of the knowledge from the seasoned cruisers. My TA doesn't know 1/10th of the stuff I've found here.

Typically mattresses and pillows are not replaced between cruises. Unfortunately this is what leads to the whole bed bug situation to begin with. I know it's really gross - you may want to consider taking some pillow sleeves with you. They are typically available at JcPenny's etc....the kind that are for people with allergies. They have a zipper closure to keep the pillow's contents inside the pillow! There are also mattress covers of the same material that should help.

Thank you for your response. I think I will suggest the plastic pillow covers to the rest of my group as well. I figured they weren't changed between cruises, I was more interested in if they are changed during drydock. Either way I think I'll get the covers.

We bring a can of lysol and spray everything really good. The things that get sprayed extra are the beds, the carpet (some people have foot fungus and if u are barefoot in the room... yuck!), and the door knobs.

We also take off the bedspread and don't use it at all. We do bring a few pillows/blankets if we are driving to the cruise port.

-gwen

I hope they get new mattresses in drydock/refurbish. The one I had on the Century in May was the lumpiest thing I have ever had the misfortune of lying on. One afternoon, I forced hubby to take my side for a nap -- and he exclaimed -- "OMG, how have you been sleeping on this?" I guess by the time I hit the sheets on a cruise, I am so tired, I could sleep on the floor -- maybe that is what they are counting on?

Fungus likes warm, damp places. I don't worry about carpets, and I am a barefooter. I imagine they use bleach water when cleaning showers. Bed bugs? They don't proliferate over night -- so I figure the people who just left the cabin would have had problems if there were any, and it would have been resolved. Maybe I am just a positive thinker.

Figures, that my family will be on the Explorer the week BEFORE the ship goes into dry dock. They do not change bedding at dry dock, they replace worn carpets and paint. It really is not a major ordeal. I have been totally freaked out about the bedbug thing after reading some of the posts. I will definately be taking a can of Lysol with me. There are some really good tips on the board, keep reading.

Archived