First cruise on Braemar and some questions

Lanky Lad

I am on Braerar in March sailing from Dover.

Can anyone let me know what time boarding is likely to start and will I have a time to board or is it just a case of turn up and wait?

Also what time am I likely to be off the ship when we get back?

Boarding usually starts around 2pm and disembarkation will commence as early as possible in the morning as the ship will arrive back in port overnight. The sooner they can get you off the better it is for the cabin staff. Higher decks depart first at around 9 am if you are lucky.

I am on Braerar in March sailing from Dover.

Can anyone let me know what time boarding is likely to start and will I have a time to board or is it just a case of turn up and wait?

Also what time am I likely to be off the ship when we get back?

Hi, Just a reminder to advise that lunch is never served on Fred's ships on embarkation day.

Afternoon tea comprising sandwiches and cakes will be available at approximately 15.30 - 16.30.

If you are on late sitting for dinner, I suggest you have lunch before boarding. Food outlets are available at the De Bradelei Wharf shopping centre on the sea front. It has a car park.

Never say never! :D I once went on an Icelandic cruise on the Black Watch when a large faction of the passengers were members of the Ramblers Association who were all given lunch. The rest of us were not allowed in the restaurant. :confused:

Thanks for the advice. I am spending the night in Canterbury so should have plenty of time to look around before heading for Dover.

I am travelling by train and there is one at 10.50 or 11.50, will have to decide which to go for. If I book early I can get Dover to Manchester for £18.00 but I have to travel on that train for my ticket to be valid. Might even go wild and have first class for £49.50 Can pay that much to and from Southampton second class.

Never say never! :D I once went on an Icelandic cruise on the Black Watch when a large faction of the passengers were members of the Ramblers Association who were all given lunch. The rest of us were not allowed in the restaurant. :confused:

Indeed, I should not have said 'never'.

During the years I worked as a Travel Agent, we were invited to many ship visits on embarkation day. On those occasions we were served lunch. Many years ago, suite passengers were invited to board early and partake of lunch.

Times have changed and as a paying passenger with fifteen Fred cruises under my belt, I have yet to enjoy lunch on board on embarkation day.

Many passengers are surprised when they sail with Fred for the first time and find the ships do not offer food 24/7. I thought it was advisable for Lanky Lad to be prepared.

Happy cruising! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes they do but if you take a look at your cruise on the Fred Olsen website you can see all the tours right now. If you are going in March, you can probably book them online too if you register. We are booked on the Braemar for the solar eclipse tour in March.

Yes they do but if you take a look at your cruise on the Fred Olsen website you can see all the tours right now. If you are going in March, you can probably book them online too if you register. We are booked on the Braemar for the solar eclipse tour in March.

Thanks for the advice :). We are also on the solar eclipse tour and really looking forward to it.

Oh great! We did a similar itinerary a couple of years ago to see the northern lights and managed to see them several times, but we were very lucky because other cruises didn't see a thing! They will supply you with eclipse glasses and snow grips but make sure you take your cold weather clothing with you and good snow boots. There will be ice everywhere you go - even on the decks of the ships. Choose your tours carefully - especially the ones which take you out to the wilderness to see the northern lights. They will be very expensive and they will take you even if it's snowing with no hope at all of seeing anything. If there is an aurora, you will see it from the ship because the captain will turn the deck lights off. Good luck to both of us!

Oh great! We did a similar itinerary a couple of years ago to see the northern lights and managed to see them several times, but we were very lucky because other cruises didn't see a thing! They will supply you with eclipse glasses and snow grips but make sure you take your cold weather clothing with you and good snow boots. There will be ice everywhere you go - even on the decks of the ships. Choose your tours carefully - especially the ones which take you out to the wilderness to see the northern lights. They will be very expensive and they will take you even if it's snowing with no hope at all of seeing anything. If there is an aurora, you will see it from the ship because the captain will turn the deck lights off. Good luck to both of us!

Thanks for the very useful advice :)

We had wondered what would happen if we book a tour and it's cloudy with no hope of seeing anything.

I have just ordered some new snow boots and already have some other winter clothes. I am not how I am going to fit all of the thicker heavier clothes and boots into my case.

We paid £200 to spend a miserable night in blizzard conditions on a mountain top above Alta. The blizzard had started earlier in the day but we were assured that it would be clear on the mountain top and there would be an aurora. There was no letup with the snow and we were told to leave early because the roads were becoming impassable. If they had a modicum of decency they would have

cancelled it and given us our money back. :rolleyes:

Edited by Coravel