NCL Dawn Oct.30th 1st time New York ??s

cruise8x+

This message board has been extremely helpful each time we cruise to a new place. We are driving to New York, where is a good place to stay the night before the cruise? Is there parking available during the cruise? What are must do's in New York. Planning to stay a couple of days post cruise. Also does anyone know if there would be a Halloween Party on board? How many formal nights on an 11 night cruise on the Dawn? We were on the Wind in May and there was only one REAL formal night does seem worth packing the suits and fancy dresses if only one night is formal. Any info would be very much appreciated.

We're on the same cruise and have a very active roll call going. Click here to see who else will be travelling with you! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=78232Now to answer some questions you've asked:

There are two formal nights on the eleven night Dawn cruises.

There will be a Halloween Bash onboard this cruising.

Others will have to help you with the hotels questions, though. Surely you'll find numerous answers here soon!

Welcome aboard - come join our roll call! :)

Pepper

I live in NJ & work in NYC and lived in NYC for 5 years.

Information on the port & port parking can be here:

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/

While I can't recommend a particular hotel cause I've never stayed in any :) I'd suggest trying to stay in the mid-town area just for convenience and because it's more touristy so the hotels will be more likely to be good. Also very safe area for people who aren't used to the city. Mid-town is anything between 34th and 59th street. The Port is on the West side on 55th street. Remember to find out where you can park by the hotel & how much it can cost. I know parking in most of the attended parking garages for just an evening can cost $50.

Must do's depend on what you like but usually tend towards shopping & museums and sight-seeing :) Check out Time Out New York closer to the cruise for ideas on activities that will be going on when you are there. http://www.timeoutny.com Museum info is here: http://www.ny.com/museums/mile.html

Lots of fun stuff to do in NYC and lots of good info on the web for most of the tourist stuff with hours and prices and things.

I just love New York!!! I go there a few times every year... Most hotels are pretty expensive in the city but here are a few GREAT hotels that I have found to be pretty reasonable. I like to stay near Times Square because it is close to everything and you end up paying little for transportation. I have stayed at the Park Central (very close to Central Park and Times Square) and I have stayed at the Novetel and I have stayed at the Sheraton Times Square. I just LOVE the sheraton. If you can get a good rate, it is by far the best place I have stayed for the money. I book quite a bit in advance when I go. The Sheraton has the "Sweet sleeper beds" and they are AWESOME!!! We stayed there a whole week in June, and we have nothing but good to say about the Sheraton. The Park Central was really nice also... and all three are in perfect locations. A taxi to or from the cruise terminals should run you $10 to $15 to a hotel near Times Square.

As far as things to "not miss".... I would definitely take in a show if you have time. I have seen quite a few there... and last years "Movin Out" was the best show I have seen so far. "Chicago" is very good as well. I would also get out and visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is an amazing place and you can access Central Park from there... the park is incredible (I think) Of course, if you haven't been, I would definitely go up the Empire State Building! It takes only 60 seconds for the elevator to reach the top. Amazing! It is a great view if it isn't cloudy. Also... I always go down to Ground Zero. It is a very humbling experience. There is an awesome walk from ONE FINANCIAL BLDG all the way over to where you catch the ferry out to the Statue of Liberty. Which is also a 'must do' if you have never been. Plus... it is a great ferry ride and the sky line view is great!

The subway system is the best I have seen! You can get anywhere!!!

I could go on and on about New York City and what to see. I just love the city. I would live there if it was possible.

Any questions on anything at all, just ask! I am very familiar with how much everything cost for everything... tours... museums... shows... and restaurants...

I would just stay where the action is.... in Times Square it is safe to walk around any time, night or day... and that is what I like about that area. You will have a great time!

Steph:)

Archived