worried about bad reviews.

ibizasue

So you heard it from someone who told you about someone who told him about it...? Maybe this cabin steward just doesn't like Indians?

Firstly, there were, are and will be always Indians on board Cruise Ships, most of them come from the region around Goa, where there is a big sailing tradition. We had on our costa cruise in the caribbean also many of them, beside Philippines and they never looked unhappy and were always ready to serve. The food was also good and we had nothing to complain about...

...but it might be something else in Asia. I think Costa in Asia is not to compare with Costa in Europe or the Caribbean as I heard it.

(And I'm sure that when someone earned for example 500 Euros, that he or she just get's 500 US, that would be ridiculous)

Pls Reread my post, A Canadian guest I met told me about Costa cutting workers pay and food budget (his room steward told HIM)...Of course I was skeptical too, until I personally verified it myself. TWICE, by a Room steward I became friendly with on my floor AND my water server at dinner (hes Indian, and yes HE ONLY MAKES A LOUSY 300 bucks a month..PERIOD! HE TOLD ME THIS TO MY FACE, IN PERSON..and I felt terrible about it) Its not ridiculous, its the truth, except its not 500 bucks, its 300 bucks, TOTAL... SHAMEFUL!!! I tipped my Water guy Cliff and Room Steward Renee Extra, both worked hard and kept smiling despite Costas poor pay and treatment...

ps. 1000 dollars is worth MUCH LESS than 1000 Euros....about 25% less...

Edited by gws35

Pls Reread my post, A Canadian guest I met told me about Costa cutting workers pay and food budget (his room steward told HIM)...Of course I was skeptical too, until I personally verified it myself. TWICE, by a Room steward I became friendly with on my floor AND my water server at dinner (hes Indian, and yes HE ONLY MAKES A LOUSY 300 bucks a month..PERIOD! HE TOLD ME THIS TO MY FACE, IN PERSON..and I felt terrible about it) Its not ridiculous, its the truth, except its not 500 bucks, its 300 bucks, TOTAL... SHAMEFUL!!! I tipped my Water guy Cliff and Room Steward Renee Extra, both worked hard and kept smiling despite Costas poor pay and treatment...

gws35,

If a person on the ship makes 1000 euros and they change them to dollars then they get paid about $1250 dollars. Costa doesn't cut their pay, they are under contract.

They wouldn't work on the ship for $300 a month if they were not happy with it. Back home they may only make $100 a month if they are lucky.

How much should Costa pay a "water server?" 10K - 25K - 50K per year?

Don't forget to factor in room and board.

The statement that Costa cut their food budget by 75% isn't believable...

gws35,

If a person on the ship makes 1000 euros and they change them to dollars then they get paid about $1250 dollars. Costa doesn't cut their pay, they are under contract.

They wouldn't work on the ship for $300 a month if they were not happy with it. Back home they may only make $100 a month if they are lucky.

How much should Costa pay a "water server?" 10K - 25K - 50K per year?

Don't forget to factor in room and board.

The statement that Costa cut their food budget by 75% isn't believable...

Costa employees USED to get paid in Euros, 1000 Euros, NOW they get paid in Dollars ...1000 Dollars a mos. total...The currency RATE wasnt changed only the actual currency was changed, why do you think theyre so angry?...Three different Costa employees told me the same thing I didnt make it up. ask em on your next cruise, it was shocking how honest they all were. Costa should pay its Indian workers the same wage they pay everyone else, 1000 EUROS a month..(pay em in Euros fer chrissakes) they work just as hard and its only fair, at least thats what I think.

3/4...2/3...cut in food budget, this is what two Costa employees told me...again, I didnt make it up...but it did seem possible after seeing the dramatic downturn in food quality..ask Costa staff next time you cruise with them, they were all brutally honest...

Edited by gws35

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Anybody can tell you anything ................of course he came running to you to show you his contract by way of confirmation. You were on a cruise, amongst about 1500 people for around 14 days say, and you were singled out to be the recipient of this information.

"Truth" is one thing, actual facts are another.

Edited by dizzy1948

I am just back from a fabulous week on the diadema in the med, food was great...no complaints whatsoever. had lovely room service for breakfast a few mornings..main dining room on the other mornings.on offer .great fresh omelettes, full monty english breakfast..selection of fresh fruit and pastries,cerals..1 morning I fancied a banana with my cereals and there werent any on offer, so i asked a waiter 2 seconds later 2 bananas with a big smile xx had lunch in both buffet and main dining room,buffet very good selection, fresh grilled chicken,pork,fish,burgers. fries... chef carvery beef,pork and chicken.. choice of oriental fresh dishes, curry,stir fries etc..loads of nice salad options, cheeses, cold meat, fresh fruit ,pastries..breads..desserts.. main dining room at lunch had 2 or 3 starters , 2 or 3 main courses all hot and very tasty..i tried all of the 4 optionally pay restaurants, special offer of 60euro including service.. teppaki was fantastic show and food.. duck..shrimp..angus rib eye steak.... club diadema.. also veryy veryy good..giant shrimp/ salmon fillet, and really good steak.... samara restaurant, outstanding service and super food.. and even loved the tasty pizzeria..

The AI was super value.. 3 cappacinos a day..couple of soft drinks, lots of water.wine with evening meal and 2 cocktails after dinner.. would have cost me 40 euro.. bargain for 25eu a day..

premium outside cabin on deck one was fab..big double bed ..2 bathrooms 1 with a tub, lounge are with sofa and table..loads of drawers etc. superb cabin steward.

loved the theatre shows at night..proffessional and entertaining in any language xx any questions you have I am happy to answer xx

Just got off of the Costa Victoria this morning. They served white beans, cabbage, and cold fish for every meal. Coffee in the morning and sometimes at lunch, but the coffee machine was often not working. The "vegetable of the day " was always, you guessed it...cabbage. I finally started skipping meals, even though I was hungry.

The most alarming part though, was what I learned from a friend tracking the boat. He informed me that the captain was turning off the collision avoidance transmitter as soon as he was about 20 nautical miles from port. Then taking shortcuts through what the US Navy calls "thin waters". I kept thinking of the Concordia was relieved to get off of that ship.

I must say the housekeeping staff was great and the ship kept clean. But discord from administration makes this a NEVER AGAIN decision for me, and everyone I talked to on that cruise.

Are the waiters now going around naked?:eek::D

" Sausage! Certainly madam.";)

Glad you had a great cruise.

Ron, just when I think you can't get any worse, you go and prove me wrong!

Don't stop though, I need someone to give me a laugh on this forum!

Are the waiters now going around naked?:eek::D

" Sausage! Certainly madam.";)

Glad you had a great cruise.

haha xxxxx honest that is what is was called on the menu.. should have seen the size of the schlonger on the german breakfast......definetly made a girls eyes water..:)

While I am optimistic....I would lie if I say I am not worry about my 30 days upcoming on Luminosa..... I will keep a dailyblog and attach pictures to it...

Yes...food is subjective....I just came back from a land vacation to a Caribbean destination... (been at the same resort 17 times) took my wine and Vodka.....Love the people,,,,the beach and weather....some dishes to me ( I am a foodie) were a 5.......while others eating the same rated 3 or viceversa.

Had planned to get the AI....but since I am travelling with my little girl who would not drink juices or pop....the package is almost 1800 US for the two of us.... as much as I enjoy cocktails and wine....will never be able to drink almost 60 bucks a day... :(

I have written another review.....and will make a detailed review of the Luminosa when I get back.

I have search on other Cruising Forums (Italian and Spanish) and the Costa and MSC activity is as slow as in here.... :(

AJ