Emerald Princess - kids have fun?

StanLaurel

We have only cruised once before. It was just the two of us, on Regal Princess and we loved it. Time to start figuring out our second voyage and this time we will bring our 6 year old boy (he will be 7 by then), and have been looking at Emerald Princess. We would like to know what folks who have brought kids with them on Emerald have to say about the kid-friendliness of this ship. Lots for them to do? Did they have a great time? Or was it a bad experience?

We've done the 10 day that Emerald used to do, three times with the kids. Even though there weren't many other kids on two of them ( one was a Christmas cruise) our kids loved Emerald. You can see in my signature below that the kids have been on many cruises. They like Princess best.

The kids club is great - lots of activities. You receive a calendar of events for the entire cruise on the first day so you can see what is going on when. At age 7 he will be in Pelicans - the ages there are 3-7. You can search for info on the types of activities they do - crafts, pirate night, etc.

There are many fresh water pools to choose from - the two main ones with muts or no muts, plus the one high up at the aft right next to the kids club. ( the adults only aft pool is two decks below that one )

Our kids always get the Ultimate sodas and more package ($8.05 per day) and love going to get their milkshakes every day.

There are no waterslides, no rock climbing, no flow rider, no skating rinks ... But our kids enjoy the relaxed atmosphere - using the pools, enjoying the different types of food, reading or listening to music out on deck, going to beaches in every port ... Our kids enjoy the downtime.

We would often eat in the dining room, then one of us would take them up to the kids club, then return and we'd enjoy dessert and coffee. The wait staff are great at ensuring the kids are fed faster if you ask. You can ask to have some fruit or veggie stix right away when you sit down so he has something to snack on while waiting for dinner as well.

If your son is highly active and likes doing things constantly, then honestly he may be bored on Princess. Especially if you dock next to a Carnival ship that has the Waterworks :D When our kids were younger, we did a couple of Carnival cruises just so that they had a waterslide to fill a couple hours a day on board. But Carnival uses ocean water in the pools and slides so it is a different experience.

I think that you have to make the choice knowing your child best and what will keep him happy and occupied.

And check out the great current thread " not quite live from Emerald Princess" - lots of great photos of Emerald so you can see how she is different from Regal.

Edited by cruisintoddler

My daughter now 9 has always enjoyed the Princess children's activities. She has participated in both the Pelicans and Shockwaves. She would always beg to go and beg to stay. Never once talked about being board. One of the nicest things is she began to meet kids that she would also see at the pool ect... Great program!! Don't forget to think about leaving specific praise and/or gratuity for the children's program staff they are amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got back, and my 8 year old son would have been in the club every minute they were open if I had let him. Lots of different activities/games/movies. Never a dull moment. He went on his first Princess cruise at 5 and he loved the younger group as well.