Luggage Tags and Tip

photogpab

Just a quick question for everyone. DW and I will be binging one suitcase each and a garment bag carrying suit/dress. What are the chances the garment bag will get to the room without being thrown around, squished, folded mutilated, etc? Guess I can take a previous posters suggestion and actually follow the porter to the bin to ensure no damage is done, but who knows what the RCCL employees will do to it.

Would it be better to gently fold the suit/dress into our suitcases, and cut down on the number of cases to load? Then I would also have one less piece to tip the porter for :)

Zero, my solid wood hanger was destroyed last time I gave them my garment bag. Broken in 2, shared piece missing.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Garavar

Really? I wonder if there has ever a been a thread or survey about this? I always thought it was completely random

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

I don't think tipping determines when you receive your luggage. Unless I am mistaken the Longshoremen accept the luggage at the pier and sort it into the large bins which are then loaded onto the ship. Once the bins are loaded on board, ship personnel move it up to the appropriate floor and cabin. At the end of the day I don't think the tip makes a difference.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I concur with Papa Flamingo (luv that name!). We always tip our post-cruise porters very well and they are great! After I take my bags off the belt I don't touch them until we get back to the house.

For the cruiser with only a couple of bags, Royal will let you walk-off the ship early with all your stuff in-hand. We've don't this a couple times and it works great, but with I and my son diving now, we have too much stuff to do the "walk-off".

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am always perplexed why some call "tipping" a "bribe." I suppose if you think your luggage will end up in the water if you don't tip, then it is a bribe.

Exactly. If you are tipping because not tipping may result in a negative action then it is more like a bribe.

Now you are not perplexed anymore. Glad I could help. You're welcome. :)

Sometimes things happen, regardless of tipping. We always tip well at the curb, but the folks you hand that money to are not the only ones handling your bag.

We did a 17 day Princess cruise a few years back. When our two suitcases showed up to our room, one was wet, as were most of the clothes in the bag. Our consensus was that it fell in the water while being loaded onto the ship. Princess cleaned all the clothing and sent a plate of fruit. We didnt let it ruin our trip.