Solo cruising to Alaska - best cruise line?

serenevasister

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted here . Life got in the way for a while!!

At present I'm doing a Celebrity cruise in Alaska leaving on August 7. This is booked as part of a seminar I am doing on the cruise ship.

As I travel so far from Australia, I would like to extend my time there - and maybe do another cruise in the area. I would be solo - and I'm not sure if a particular cruise line would suit better.

Of course it depends on the cost. I'm looking at a time from mid to late August.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would be very grateful!

Hi everyone,

At present I'm doing a Celebrity cruise in Alaska leaving on August 7. This is booked as part of a seminar I am doing on the cruise ship.

As I travel so far from Australia, I would like to extend my time there - and maybe do another cruise in the area. I would be solo - and I'm not sure if a particular cruise line would suit better.

Of course it depends on the cost. I'm looking at a time from mid to late August.

Are you cruising out of Seattle? - Or, Vancouver?

It might be good to take a cruise out of both. I've done Princess out of Seattle 3 times and I've always enjoyed my cruises. No problem with being solo.

I might cruise to Alaska again in May but I decided to wait until April or early-May to book. Last year I booked early and saw prices drop dramatically. But, for Alaska, I'm a "local" so it's easier to do a last-minute thing.

Have you ever been to Seattle/Vancouver before?

Hi everyone,

If you are sailing on the Millenium then that is from Anchorage to Vancouver, and if you are sailing on the Solstice that one is round trip out of Seattle.

If sailing into Vancouver the only ship that goes out that same day is the same one you were on doing a reverse of your itinerary with the same stops. If you wait one day then Princess and HAL both have ships leaving the next day.

If you are sailing in and out of Seattle, then you would have two ships leaving the day you get in, the Solstice doing the same itinerary and Royal Caribbean doing basically the same itinerary as the Solstice. If you wait one day the HAL, NCL, and Princess have ships sailing the next day. All the itineraries are very similar except HAL goes to Sitka instead of Skagway and sails on the outside of the inside passage so that would be some new scenery for you to enjoy.

Unfortunately most Alaska itineraries are very similar so you end up going to the same places with one or two ports variation at most. As far as which line is best for Solos that is debatable as everyone likes different things so I could not tell you which one would work best for you.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I guess another cruise which leaves from Seattle would be best. But I'm sure it's not too hard to get to Vancouver. Or perhaps I could fly to Anchorage and sail back down.

I thought there may be a particular cruise line which is better for solos - but it seems any would be okay. Of course, it depends on the price and it would be great to find a bargain!

I guess I could book my flights from Australia - do the cruise I'm booked on - and perhaps pick up a last minute deal!

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I guess another cruise which leaves from Seattle would be best. But I'm sure it's not too hard to get to Vancouver. Or perhaps I could fly to Anchorage and sail back down.

I thought there may be a particular cruise line which is better for solos - but it seems any would be okay. Of course, it depends on the price and it would be great to find a bargain!

I guess I could book my flights from Australia - do the cruise I'm booked on - and perhaps pick up a last minute deal!

Thanks!

Hi, everyone has their "favorites";)......some folks prefer Carnival,

other folks prefer NCL.......others sail Princess, some sail with

Royal and others sail Celebrity (Me)...I have been cruising with them

for almost 12 years and I always sail solo. I love the product

they provide me. Actually, I am sailing to Alaska with them in May:D

There are a lot of cruiselines out there......I would say try to do

some research and see what appeals to you.:)

Yes, it is pretty easy to get from Seattle to Vancouver and back again. Amtrak is probably your best option.

How many weeks are you planning to be in the Pacific Northwest and what are your dates?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Forums mobile app

Hi, everyone has their "favorites";)......some folks prefer Carnival,

other folks prefer NCL.......others sail Princess, some sail with

Royal and others sail Celebrity (Me)...I have been cruising with them

for almost 12 years and I always sail solo. I love the product

they provide me. Actually, I am sailing to Alaska with them in May:D

There are a lot of cruiselines out there......I would say try to do

some research and see what appeals to you.:)

Lois, do you have your cruise dates yet? I'd love to meet you when you are out here. Maybe pick you up at airport/hotel/port, then lunch and I'll drop you off at airport/hotel/port.

Lois, do you have your cruise dates yet? I'd love to meet you when you are out here. Maybe pick you up at airport/hotel/port, then lunch and I'll drop you off at airport/hotel/port.

Hi Tess, good morning:)....that is so kind of you to offer:)....I have

a good friend who lives in Vancouver and she is driving down to

Seattle to pick me up and is staying overnight at the same hotel pre-

cruise.......I am flying in on May 7th......here is my email, drop me

a line:D....... lo1958@hotmail.com

Thanks Lois and Tess for your replies.

I have been doing quite a bit of research. For the seminar cruise I will be on the Celebrity Solstice - round trip to Seattle.

I've been looking at some solo cruise deal websites. It's good to see that some of the cruise lines are catering more to the solo traveller.

I'm surprised there aren't more cruise/tour deals catering exclusively for the solo traveller. From what I have read - it is a growing market. I, for one, would do more cruises if it wasn't so expensive for one!

Thanks. :)