Pregnancy Menu

Sapphire723

I know I already posted before, but it seems people don't always read all of the thread when they get long and this info is important to repeat.

I wanted to make sure that people are aware of the dangers of listeriosis during pregnancy, which can be related to many items on the OP's list (hot dogs, luncheon meats, soft cheese unless labeled that they are pasteurized, etc.).

As someone who has worked with infants in the NICU for several years, I have seen miscarriages due to listeria or very ill infants born to moms with listeria (can be fatal or cause long-term morbidity). I strongly support Sapphire's goal to avoid those foods. Some people here have given wonderful suggestions about how she can do so.

Though rare, listeria-contaminated products can get into our food system so it is recommended that pregnant women avoid those products during pregnancy.

Here is a link to CDC info:

http://www.cdc.gov/pregnancy/infections-listeria.html

And yet in actuality, most doctors receive little to no formal training in nutrition, let alone how to specifically address the dietary needs of people with this issue or that one, this condition or that one, this food intolerance/allergy or that one........

That is why my wife's OB GYN has a nutritionist on staff to provide this information. I have relatives that are RN's (two in fact) and I would take advice from them on emergency situations or to understand how a procedure may be done, not on what is best for a pregnant woman.

The fact remains, MANY pregnant women these days are provided lists of restricted food (diets) closely matching what OP has received. Not sure why people are arguing that they have never heard of such a thing. it's 2015. par for the course these days. Just accept that that is the latest medical advice given to women these days.

I havent gone through and read every comment, but i sailed on Celebrity Eclipse in 2013 when i was about 14 weeks pregnant, and found it quite easy to avoid all the no no foods, i would eat pastas or meat and veg type dishes, there was also lots of soups, burgers etc your list is what we r told not to eat in Australia, though we r also told not to eat soft serve, frozen yogurt out of machines and not to eat any salad that u dont make fresh urself so i understand what u mean about it being difficult to eat 'out' rest assured it is quite easy to manage & if u have any questions im sure they wont mind answering :-) everyone was lovely and helpful.